Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
TonyM

Default Is it safe to ride in a Rumble Seat?

Is it safe to ride in a Rumble Seat?

While reading another thread on the subject of rumble seats I got to thinking of actually riding in a rumble seat. Rather than hijack someone's thread, I decided to post the question as a separate thread instead. I have actually ridden in a Model A rumble seat, but this was on the grounds of a secure airport during a Model A show. But thinking about it now, I would never dream of riding in one in regular traffic. And I would never allow anyone to ride in a rumble seat of an automobile that I was driving. That's me. I don't expect everyone to think like me. But it is an interesting question and perhaps needs to be explored.

Is it safe to ride in a rumble seat?

TonyM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: Is it safe to ride in a Rumble Seat?

Probably not safe but fun. When we were kids we rode in dad's rumble seat often but roads and traffic were different then and there were less people tailgating you and talking on their cell phones. I don't recommend it today. My roadster has one but no one rides in it unless it's on a show field or parking lot.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Steinar

I heard a tragic story couple of weeks ago. This happened many years ago, think it was in the fifties. A truck with mum and dad inside, 3 kids outside on the on the flatbed took off from a bridge and into deep water. Kids survived, parents died. Not very different from sitting outside in a rumble seat, I guess. It all depends on what is happening..
Steinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
tierod

Cool Re: Is it safe to ride in a Rumble Seat?

probably no more or less safe than riding inside an old car.
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
36tbird

I think that only hard bodied, bikini clad females should be allowed to ride in a rumble seat during a parade. At least that is going to be the rule when I get my '36 roadster done.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
raceron1120

About as safe as owning a gun - both depends on how they're used.

I guess my point is, it's not a question of how safe, but instead - how smart.

When we were kids we rode in back of Dad's pickup a lot when it wasn't raining.

Safe? You bet! Dad would holler back at us "Sit down back there! You're gonna hurt yerself!"

Cold? No problem! Just toss in a few blankets and we had a blast. I wouldn't think of putting my grandkids back there now, in today's traffic. Besides, ol' John Law would probably have a hissy fit if he saw that - and I'd get charged with child abuse!

Common sense, good judgement. It goes a long way when properly applied.

Last edited by raceron1120; 05-05-2011 at 02:47 AM.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
PeterC

I do not think rumble seats are safe - for that matter - in todays traffic conditions and the overall quality and experience of the bulk of todays drivers, coupled with the speeds and disctarctions of those drivers employ - I do not feel it "safe" to be in any classic car. That said - I do enjoy driving my early Fords with caution and respect for what they are - and what they are not.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Lanny

There are millions of Motorcycles on th roads and freeways, and many don't wear alot of protection on them, and I don't think there is an "overload" of fatalities or injuries, so a ride in a rumble seat should not be any worse than a cycle ride.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
paul2748

I agree with Lanny. I drove all over the Northeast with my two kids in the rumble seat, at modern highway speeds. While seats belts weren't a big issue at the time (25 years ago), I think they should be used.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
37 Coupe

I never thought much about this years ago when I was 18 I had a 30 Model A roadster and we would pile neices and nephews in rumble seat and ride around the country. Couple years ago or so Old Cars Weekly had two stories in one summer I believe of fatalities in Model A rumble seats,both were leaving car shows. One was rear ended from someone not paying attention and two kids in rumble seat were killed,other was a street rod that retained the rumble seat and he got on it and lost control and couple teenagers were killed. But couple weeks ago here in Ohio someone ran a red light not paying attention and hit a newer Jeep killed the mom and dad in front and twin boys in back seat. No need in me owning a rumble seat car anymore,grandkid or neighbor kids parents won't let kids ride in my 37 coupe without seatbelts and airbags,my brother gets the same from his wife won't ride in his 57 TBird,he could have seat belts and airbags and rollover would still get them. Now kids have to have helmets for a tricycle ride.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
ford1

riding in a rumble seat is no more dangerous than riding in any convertable a rumble seat is just as safe when cimbined with a seat belt
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
felix37

If I had one I would use it ! I would ride cross country in a rumble seat before I would ever consider getting in a side car on a motorcycle.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
coupe5w36

On this side of the globe (at least in Victoria) we're supposed to have a positive locking system to prevent the lid slamming shut in a sudden stop (a distinct possibility if smaller folk are in the rumble). Many rodders use a bonnet (hood) style catch which locks the lid in place & is released by cable. Teamed-up with seatbelts & driven with commonsense & maturity (what was our average age???) I don't see too much of a problem.
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceron1120 View Post
About as safe as owning a gun - both depends on how they're used.
I guess my point is, it's not a question of how safe, but instead - how smart.
When we were kids we rode in back of Dad's pickup a lot when it wasn't raining.
Safe? You bet! Dad would holler back at us "Sit down back there! You're gonna hurt yerself!"
Cold? No problem! Just toss in a few blankets and we had a blast. I wouldn't think of putting my grandkids back there now, in today's traffic. Besides, ol' John Law would probably have a hissy fit if he saw that - and I'd get charged with child abuse!
Common sense, good judgement. It goes a long way when properly applied.
The comment above is in my opinion right on the money!
"Safe" is a relative term.
How safe are the new "Smartcars"? Air bags and harnesses wouldn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside one of those.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
joel

In the case of the motorcycle, the operator is the one assuming the risk. Most who ride are extra vigilant and distrustful of drivers in 4 wheeled vehicles; big difference I think.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Frank Miller

They could walk but people also get killed crossing streets. Sure bundle the little snowflakes up in their seat belted multi-air bag transportation for a trip to the artery clogging McDonalds. Also let's not forget the school buses that transport them have no safety restraints. Like someone said, it is all relative. And while some things may be safer nothing is guaranteed.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
Jerry Parr WI

No, but life is not safe and people are killed on a regular basis in the safest cars built. With my Cabriolet I do not think riders in the rumble seat are any more at rusk than in the regular seat. Driving the Model A is a risk I intend to continue to take for the enjoyment I receive. Driving any car is not safe but we each decide if todays drive is worth the risk. I compensate for the risk by not skydiving.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
TonyM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, life is full of risk, but we go out of our way to mitigate risk in almost every activity. On being no less safe than a motorcycle ride--when you get on a motorcycle, you know what you're signing up for. Ten year-old nephew is not on the same page. Several guys said that the safety issue was relative. I reckon.

Some one had mentioned the safety of old cars in general. I know when I am a passenger (as opposed to driving) in an old car, I am a little more conscious of the possibility of smashing into the metal dash and pointy metal knobs during an accident. I don't think about that so much when I drive an old car though. Go figure. Those open cars of the 20s and 30s look like you could fly out at any minute on a tight turn. Tub on wheels. I guess that is why they call them tubs.

Since many people agree that riding in a rumble seat in today's driving enviroment is not "smart", then why do so many guys with cars equipped with trunks go out of their way to change them to rumble seats if no one is going to ride in them?

As far as I know it is not illegal to ride in a rumble seat in Illinois, and I am surprised that the law hasn't poked their nose in this yet by enacting rumble seat seat belt laws. As far as I know, it is illegal to ride in the back of an open pick up truck bed in Illinois, but not in a rumble seat.

Are there any laws concerning the use of rumble seats in the state where you live in?

Last edited by TonyM; 05-05-2011 at 09:42 AM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
Django

I've had people in my rumble seat at times. You just have to be smart and careful. If your number is up though, it's up. Like the poor family who were out cruising in their '30s Rolls Royce (I think) a few years ago and got killed. I never really thought about putting seat belts back there. It shouldn't be any more dangerous than in the front of the car in theory. It would be the same as riding in a roadster. I do have seat belts in all of my cars however, excluding the rumble seats.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Chris Nelson

Since I finished my 36 cabriolet, I have thought about the risks of riding in a rumble seat. I would not let anyone ride in it on the highway. Only in a parade and if the front lip of the rumble area is protected with a "foam noodle" like the kids use in swimming pools. I can imagine what that front lip would do to some kids teeth or face if I either hit the brakes hard or hit something like another car. It's not worth the risk!
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote