Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
kendall

Default Generator vs. alternator

Hello everyone, I need to rewire my F1 and was wondering about the generator vs. alternator subject. Everyone here has been telling me go to an alternator, the generator is not going to be reliable. I am leaning to keep the generator just because its original. I will also be going to 12 volt from 6, one more thing………any suggestions on good companies that make wiring harnesses?
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
nichols617

Default Re: Generator vs. alternator

I got harness at Dennis Carpenters. I also bought an alternator that looks like a generator from Speedway. It's a 12 v and is made by Powermaster.
nichols617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
cmbrucew

Why not keep your generator and your 6 volt system.

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
345 DeSoto

If it's a reliability issue, don't worry about the generator...it's as reliable as it gets. However, I have the generator in my off topic car, and @ night (headlights, wipers, defroster/heater on) when I stop for a light, everything runs off the battery until I get going again. The generator is rated at 35 amps TOPS, and doesn't operate at idle. In my Hot Rod, I have an alternator rated @ 65 amps, and it charges while I'm idleing. The call is yours, but don't make your choice for the wrong reasons...
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Kube

6v. and a generator are VERY reliable. As long as you have the harness out to be replaced simply take the necessary time to clean grounds properly, make certain the voltage regulator and 6v. generator are working properly and you will have a very reliable system.
12v. and an alternator are band aids.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
GaryTx

Keep the generator 6 or 12 volt.....An alternator looks out of place on a flathead....IMHO
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The only reason I would go alternator would be to add high energy draw components like air conditioning or something of that nature. If a person is planning on leaving the system mostly stock with maybe a radio upgrade or upgrade to 12 volts so a modern radio will work then most components can remain stock with the exception of the generator modified with 12-volt field coils, a 12-volt voltage regulator, all new 12-volt bulbs, voltage drops for the instruments that are designed to work on 6-volt, and possibly a change out of the heater blower motor to a 12-volt unit if so equiped. A 12-volt battery can be installed with negative ground. Solenoids & relays will usually work on 12-volt but can be changed out easily if they don't.

The more modern 2-brush generators will charge at a low engine RPM but are not efficient at low rpms. Most of the later 6-volt and 12-volt generator pulleys had ratios that would allow them to charge adequately at idle rpm. The worst thing about generators in general is that they are limited in output amperage. If you want a gen that puts out more, it's going to have to be bigger and that's not practical.

The Fifth Avenue Internet Garage puts out a little book about 12-volt change over.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

Having a discharge at idle is not anything to worry about unless you always drive at idle ---even having a slight discharge with the headlights on won't matter unless you drive mostly at night as long as the total amount of electric put into the battery is more than you take out.

The original 6V system has been very reliable for me, I don't have a voltage regulator so on long daylight drives I have to use my HALOGEN headlights to prevent overcharging, the generator was last rebuilt in 1970, the Optima battery is 14 years old, and I don't use a battery tender or any other charging method than the original generator while driving the car.

Another advantage with the original generator is that the belt doesn't have to be very tight ---saves the waterpumps, with an alternator the belt needs to be tighter to keep it from slipping on the smaller pulley needed to spin it faster.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

The only reason generators got a bad name was that "rebuilders" frequently fixed only the immediate problem (maybe the brushes) and sent it back out the door to fail again in a short time. Have a generator rebuilt properly and it will last probably longer than you own the car. Besides they look a lot better on a flathead and wiring them up is straight forward per the book.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
kendall

thanks guys. i think i will keep the generator
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
mtflat

Good choice. I run a generator on 12V in my F1. Daily driver for 10 years.

Just don't tighten the belt like you would on something newer. 1/2" to 1" deflection on your belt will keep your front bearing happy .... I learned the hard way.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote