Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #21
DNLs1930

Default Re: 600w leaking out of steering box

Checked the leak today and apparently it has all leaked out.. Guess I will get to looking at endplates and seals and Penrite and, and, and; more to come...
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #22
DNLs1930

Can someone explain how the "Tube" endplate helps eliminate an oil leak from the steering box? I understand the tube extends to a point above the oil level but that doesn't help me in a visual sense to understand it's function.
THANK YOU in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64-22562.jpg (33.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #23
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
A good product to use in vintage steering boxes is Penrite lube. it is a very heavy oil, much like a grease, but it flows.

It can be procured from:

Restoration Supply Co.
15182B Highland valley Rd.
Escondido, CA 92025
800-306-7008

Not a good idea to use grease as it does not flow, and it will be pushed away from the gears.

Tom Endy
Nice product but why pay big money?

This Penrite "lube" is really a NLGI 00 grease with a cool picture on the bottle.

Buy at Tractor Supply for under $6

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ndle-grease-00

You're Welcome.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #24
Ed in Maine

Jackson has a good suggestion above. Last year I did send out my sector shaft to machine a groove for the o-ring. Between this modification and the end plate at the lighting switch at the bottom of the steering column, all leaks should go away! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #25
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNLs1930 View Post
Can someone explain how the "Tube" endplate helps eliminate an oil leak from the steering box? I understand the tube extends to a point above the oil level but that doesn't help me in a visual sense to understand it's function.
THANK YOU in advance!!
Oil seeps out because there is no seal between the light switch actuating rod (A-3616) and the lower endlate (A-3568) on the steering box
Old 04-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #26
DNLs1930

Quote:
THANK YOU in advance!!

After taking the wiring, spider and the end plate OFF the "tube" makes total sense now that I understand the light rod runs through the center of the tube and tube ensures the oil is no longer in contact with the rotating rod. Looks like a very good solution to what must be a common problem.

NO gasket was between the endplate and steering box so pretty sure that did not help the situation...

New tube endplate and gasket are on the way and we should be good to go once the install is complete assuming I will be able to get the "Jesus clip" installed...
Old 04-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #27
Conaway2

To remove the play in the steering in my car, I completely disassembled the steering box, and replaced the upper and lower bearings, lower plate with welded tube, lower race, upper race, new sector gear, used new sector housing with needle bearings and modern seal, all new gaskets and shorter pitman arm. The only thing I didn’t replace was the worm gear, as I’m not sure about the quality of the repro parts. Bottom line - huge improvement in steering - much tighter and almost feels like power steering. Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #28
DNLs1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
To remove the play in the steering in my car, I completely disassembled the steering box, and replaced the upper and lower bearings, lower plate with welded tube, lower race, upper race, new sector gear, used new sector housing with needle bearings and modern seal, all new gaskets and shorter pitman arm. The only thing I didn’t replace was the worm gear, as I’m not sure about the quality of the repro parts. Bottom line - huge improvement in steering - much tighter and almost feels like power steering. Jim

YIKES that's a lot of work and sounds like you did an EXCELLENT job!!!

My Model A expertise is severely lacking at this point so I will take the little victory once I get it put back together and see how it feels. I will try the "adjustments" I have read about if needed and go from there. WHEN I get to the rebuild point I know who I will be pointing all the questions I can come up with to...
Old 04-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Nice product but why pay big money?

This Penrite "lube" is really a NLGI 00 grease with a cool picture on the bottle.

Buy at Tractor Supply for under $6

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ndle-grease-00

You're Welcome.
How did you come to this conclusion? I tried to figure out what it was, but got nowhere.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #30
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
How did you come to this conclusion? I tried to figure out what it was, but got nowhere.

Visit the Penrite website, it's all there.
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets...BOX%20LUBE.pdf

Last edited by M2M; 04-24-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:58 AM   #31
old31

deleted.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:00 AM   #32
old31

Quote:
I hope you didn't replace the wife also..
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #33
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Visit the Penrite website, it's all there.
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets...BOX%20LUBE.pdf
Some of the info doesn’t exactly match, so it’s possible penrite has added to the mix.? Probably close enough. I still have some penrite and I’ll pick up some “00” from tractor supply, although I doubt I’ll see any difference. The tractor supply two miles away, is the only one in my area that doesn’t have it in stock! Go figure!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #34
alexiskai

Some of the (good!) reviews on TSC's website for the 00 spindle grease explicitly refer to using it in vintage auto steering boxes. I'm game, I'll go pick some up and see how it does. I've been having leaks as well.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #35
David R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I basically went through the same thing only I used original sector housing with new sector and bushing and added the o ring. I had to replace worm because the box had been allowed to go dry and bearing races on worm were rusted. Wow! What a job it was getting that old worm off and new one on without bending shaft.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #36
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Some of the info doesn’t exactly match, so it’s possible penrite has added to the mix.? Probably close enough. I still have some penrite and I’ll pick up some “00” from tractor supply, although I doubt I’ll see any difference. The tractor supply two miles away, is the only one in my area that doesn’t have it in stock! Go figure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Some of the (good!) reviews on TSC's website for the 00 spindle grease explicitly refer to using it in vintage auto steering boxes. I'm game, I'll go pick some up and see how it does. I've been having leaks as well.
Guys do me a favour, when you visit Tractor Supply Co. check out if they sell "Tractor Supply Co." brand t-shirts and baseball caps with a big "Tractor Supply Co." logo/sign on them. Love what the brand stands for...it best reflects the inner me . Many guys on this forum seem to be more Armani, Calvin Klein, Dolce Gabbana, Gucci type of guys, especially the ones running both Mitchell overdrives and Mitchell syncros with nickel plated cup holders for their $10 soy decaf frappuccino.

Last edited by M2M; 04-26-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #37
alexiskai

Quote:
Guys do me a favour, when you visit Tractor Supply Co. check out if they sell "Tractor Supply Co." brand t-shirts and baseball caps with a big "Tractor Supply Co." logo/sign on them. Love what the brand stands for...it best reflects the inner me . Many guys on this forum seem to be more Armani, Calvin Klein, Dolce Gabbana, Gucci type of guys, especially the ones running both Mitchell overdrives and Mitchell syncros with nickel plated cup holders for their $10 soy decaf frappuccino.
Ha, should I mail you a T-shirt? Around here, the status brands are all agricultural. The guys who put thousands into upgrading their 4x4 or classic Camaro are also the guys wearing Tractor Supply hats.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #38
katy

Quote:
Here ya go:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ly%20T%20shirt

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...20supply%20cap
Old 04-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #39
30 Closed Cab PU

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...e:&pageSize:20&

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...:&pageSize:100&
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #40
M2M