Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #741
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Airtruk.

Officially known as the PL12; PL after the designer Luigi Pellarini and 12 because this was his twelveth design. A similar design had previously flown in New Zealand as the Bennett PL11 and powered by the Pratt R1340. Two were built and both killed their respective pilots. This PL11 concept was copied from the PL7 designed by Pellarini in Australia, a sort of an aerial tanker of an equally hideous concept.
Well an Australian civil construction company by the name of Transfield took on the building of this same concept but this time powered by a Lycoming IO 540 and commenced production in 1966 and finished in 1986. It was marketed as the Transfield Airtruk. 118 were built. I flew one in 1973 for 3 days and declared that was the extent of my PL12 experience. I was conned however in ferrying the same aeroplane back to base Guyra from Armidale. I found the fuel selection valve confusing and selected the near empty tank and ended up in a paddock of blackberries. I took off okay and declared yet again that was the end of my PL12 career and have remained true to that declaration ever since.

There was one in particular weak point in the design. The pin in the nose wheel swivel. This would fail and the aeroplane flip over on it's back during takeoff killing the pilot. This weak point must now have been addressed because there is still just a few flying today. There are other aspects wrong with the aeroplane but there are insufficient pages on this computer for me to detail them all. But you got the picture.
And in the picture is the PL11 and PL12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PL11.JPG (50.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PL12.JPG (31.2 KB, 14 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-28-2019 at 04:39 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #742
woofa.express

Today’s story is a beauty. Penned by my friend Mark, I reckon you’ll enjoy reading it. Cheers, gary.

Gary a pic similar to the Ford I sold to purchase the lovely economical Peugeot like the one that Pamela refused me and to have her then offer to take me out in a Korean thing for coffee like this. OH Revenge is sweeet.....

Revenge in deed is Sweet.

In 1962 my father received in lieu of payment for a substantial engineering project a Ford Customline similar to the car pictured. He did not like it and decided to give it to me as I had just got my licence. Now suddenly I was a hero. New mates and a new girl friend, Pamela. However I had not the financial resources to support the new glamorous life style. This whole gang of new friends and Pamela were draining because no one was dipping in for fuel. Just demands to go everywhere: surf, sun and Pizza.
This had to be rectified so asked my Dad if he would mind if I sold the Ford and he encouraged me ( I think now he knew the lesson I had learned) so I sold the Ford and had enough money to buy a block of land in Melton and cash for another vehicle: a Peugeot, a 1956- 203 c as per pic. Sunroof, leather, layback seats, heater, radio and a 403 motor and I was on my way...
Feeling very proud of myself dressed to kill, drove around to pick up Pamela and knocked on her door. Pamela appeared, looked out and with a rather sour look and asked me what’s that? Proudly I admitted that it was my new car to which Pamela responded “ well I am not going out in THAT”.
A couple of days ago an old school mate met Pamela and she asked after me. He informed her that I was alive, where I lived and gave her my mobile phone number. Subsequently she rang me and said she would be in the area and asked if I would like to have coffee. I responded politely and asked what was she driving to which she replied a Kia Cerato I then said there is no way I could lower myself or ever be seen with the owner of such a vehicle....
revenge after 58 years is so sweet......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mj ford.JPG (37.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg mj pig.JPG (21.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg mj girlfriend's rio.JPG (39.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #743
woofa.express

Our demands have become extreme.

Don’t people go to extremes. One day at a Subways I ordered a salad sandwich on toasted bread. The attendant said the oven had previously toasted bacon and asked if I minded that the same oven was used to toast my salad sandwich. I expressed surprise that anyone would object. I was informed that vegetarians do.

Only last week our family group was dinning at café at the Brisbane botanical gardens. We placed our order and during the conversation the waitress spoke of an earlier customer who was difficult to please for she wanted vegan. She had ordered then declined 4 dishes for some petty fault. The last had honey which was provided by exploited little bees.

Just a growing number of people who are joining the grievance industry.

As my friend Dick says, not many people will survive a future depression. Not many would be capable of skinning a rabbit or plucking a duck. Besides most would turn their noses up at such a dish.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-02-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:31 AM   #744
woofa.express

New Emblem for Olive.
I’m sure you’ve seen a picture of my little dog Woofa which I have named my ute after? My second A is a tourer which Americans call aPhaeton and I have sign written its name on the bonnet. “Olive”. I have found the perfect emblem to match which will be painted (stick on) on the boot cowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofa.JPG (42.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg olive.JPG (33.6 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #745
woofa.express

Is Global Warming fact or fiction?

It has to be a fact. It started 14,000 years ago and that’s why all the ice melted. I think we would all agree with that.
Is mankind contributing to this phenomenon? It’s hard to know isn’t it? We are told so many contradictions. possibly lies.
Do children reprimanding us in an insolent manner convince us? Whether you concur or not with the child’s view I’m sure you will agree she certainly get us off side. Would you agree with that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spoiled brat girl 2.JPG (50.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-03-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #746
woofa.express

I posted this segment on another thread and then thought I’d post it on my usual for two reasons. One, in the event my readers may miss it and two so as I can keep a copy for one day I may compile my stories into a book for my kids. So here they are. And yes, you may well correctly conclude I’m gullible.

Gullible Gary.

1st Chapter.
I contacted Microsoft for help with a computer program. But it wasn’t Microsoft but a look a like. I became suspicious when the phone call was passed on several times. Foolishly I gave them access to my computer and was told I needed 2 programs costing $1,800. I took the computer to my computer shop to be told all was well. I received an angry call when I declined to buy followed by a demand for $1,800 for products I received. Then demands from a debt collection agency for same. Then a request for compromise: they would settle for $1,000. This continued for some time so I put their business name into scamwatch. This all ended abruptly when they offered to end their demand it I withdrew my complaint. What was good for the goose is good for the gander.

2nd chapter
I did get scammed for a large amount when I purchased a tractor on the internet. The bill came through ebay, well so I thought. An invoice with a serial number on an ebay letterhead. I couldn’t get the money off fast enough for fear of missing this bargain. Transmitted through Western Union. It looks more than likely the cash went to Nigeria. I knew immediately that an endeavour to recover it was pointless.

3rd chapter.
I receive a phone call at least once each week advising my internet will be terminated unless I respond by pressing “0”. This is a good call for it keeps in my mind the venerability of being scammed. Particularly myself because I take people at face value- all my working life dealing with farmers.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-04-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #747
woofa.express

Today's story is more of a local one but I have decided to include it. I have also included a short and funny conversation I recently had at a public event with Greg McNamara.

Gary. Greg is that Rob McLeod?
Greg with some surprise and curiosity in his voice. "Yeah.?"

Gary . He’s aged Greg.
Greg. You don’t have a mirror in your house Gary?

Berrigan show today.

Today was show day at Berrigan. A small town of 1200 in southern NSW, one of 4 towns in the Berrigan Shire. The smallest town of the four and one subject to put down because growth hasn’t kept up with the other 3. It is more of a farm and rural community where as the other 3 which are tending to become urban towns. Berrigan is the best community of them all. Patsy and I exhibited Woofa express here today in the antique car display. The biggest display was many competition horses. I’ve never seen so many at one location before. I never liked horses because I was compelled to ride one when I was a kid and I desperately wanted a bicycle. I wouldn’t care if they were all canned and labelled “fido”.

The show was much smaller this year. Subjected to drought and now 2 years of nil irrigation water, farmers are simply out of money and it’s not going to improve in a hurry. Why is there no irrigation water? The government in their stupidity have sent it all to South Australia for recreation. Urban political pull is much greater than farmers who are treated with political insignificance. It seems like food production is no longer important.

Patsy and I always agree small is best and that is Berrigan. We often talk of moving there. It’s probably unlikely because it’s difficult to uproot and shift in older age when you are established where you currently live. But we like Berrigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snipped woofa express.jpg (20.6 KB, 9 views)

Old 10-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #748
40 Deluxe

"all canned and labeled 'fido'"! I love it! This has to be the comment of the week, at least! Maybe of the year! Thanks, Gary!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #749
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
"all canned and labeled 'fido'"! I love it! This has to be the comment of the week, at least! Maybe of the year! Thanks, Gary!

Hi 40 Deluxe

Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #750
woofa.express

Birdwood, South Australia.

Last weekend Graham Close opened the local foundry and engineering shop museum to commemorate 125 years and 5 generations of family ownership. An impressive display of early machinery, all belt driven off a steam engine chugging away. Graham was on hand and he has to be commended.
The town of Birdwood in the Adelaide Hills has a brilliant motor museum. Birdwood is known as the finish of perhaps Australia’s most well known motor rally, the Bay (Adelaide) to Birdwood rally, a 40 mile route. It is so popular, it is congested to the extreme so I give it a miss for that reason, but I always visit Birdwood in the Adelaide Hills when I’m in South Australia. It is sort of a step back in time and Patsy and I would love to live there but it would isolate us from our kids.
Many years ago I visited the Birdwood motor museum. It was staffed by volunteers. 5 O’clock came and went and it was well dark by the time the host had finished showing me through. A great display and I enjoyed my visit immensely. Several hundred motor vehicles including buses, cars and bikes. The interior decor was a grand display of wood working craftsmanship.
My last visit, and that was some time ago, was again in the late afternoon and I was informed they closed at 5 which gave me only a short time. Dead on 5 I was told, politely so, that they were closing and it was time for me to leave. The attitude had changed. They were now government paid employees. What were once enthusiastic guides were now unmotivated people. What had started as a private museum was now owned by the S.A. government trust.
Compare this to the privately owned Close museum I described in the first paragraph or any privately owned museum you know. Government has a history of taking control of good volunteer organisations and killing them. I can name several, probably you can too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birdwood.JPG (36.1 KB, 4 views)

Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #751
woofa.express

Hugh’s Motor Car. Chapter 1.

My friend Hugh has written about his FJ Holden. The name Holden is synonymous with Australia. Holden was a body builder in early times and General Motors bought them out. You will notice similar comparisons in the body shape to GM motor cars of that era.
FJ was the second Holden model produced and it is an extension of the earlier FX Holden.The grill and other minor mods were made and an upgraded suspension. I have divided this story into 4 parts. Firstly pictures of the motor car so as you know what Hugh is talking about. Chapters 2 and 3 Hugh’s story and 4, comparison to Hugh’s wife’s experience with her modern day motor car.
Here goes with the pictures.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh fj 1.JPG (57.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hugh fj 3.JPG (43.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-09-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #752
woofa.express

Hugh’s motor car. Chapter 2

My relationship with FJs began in 1955. My dad purchased his (and the family’s) first car; an Elk Blue FJ Special sedan. I was 9 years old.

When I turned 12, dad decided it was time for me to learn driving, so together we took to the streets of Sydney. I sat on two pillows so I could see over the steering wheel. Police were tolerant in 1959; they knew the driver was underage but just gave my dad a wink and a nod, waving us on. Cops could be nice and reasonable in 1959 because crime was much less.

My first car was a VW beetle, not a great car, and FJs were a dying breed. Despite being almost extinct, I’d look longingly at the few survivors still on the road. As luck would have it, my opportunity to own one happened in 1976. A work colleague from Penrith had an FJ wreck on an adjacent vacant block — I could have it for $20, my golden opportunity had arrived!

However, In 1976, I had kids, a wife and a mortgage, not a great time to begin car restorations. Money was tight, missing parts needed to be sourced, chrome plating bumpers and grilles was costly, so I became client to many wrecker’s yards. The missing mechanical bits were replaced by the least worst parts I could find; brake linings, voltage regulator, starter, generator, wheel bearings, carburettor, etc etc. I had to buy a gas welding kit and teach myself how to use it. Restoring a car this way took me ages — like 18 long years with detractors saying “get rid of that piece of shit, you’ll never finish it.”

I added some modifications during the rebuild. Front and rear sway bars, an extra leaf on the rear springs, an alloy camshaft gear, twin carbies, extractors, seal beam headlights plus a 12 volt conversion. Not to mention a full 2 inch stainless steel exhaust. The car was fully rust proofed everywhere, something the factory never did. I took the body back to bare metal and had the final paint applied by an experienced panel beater.

I first re registered my two tone (Mist Grey with Gander Grey roof, original colours) FJ Special in 1994. It’s been constantly running and registered ever since. I’ve clocked up 21,000 miles in 25 years, it still goes like the clappers and looks good.
The picture is the rear end of Hugh's FJ and Hugh reckons it's sexy.
chapter 3 continues tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh's fj 5.jpg (44.3 KB, 8 views)

Old 10-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #753
woofa.express

Hugh’s Motor Car. Chapter 3

Not long ago, I learned that it’s not a good idea to drive on old tyres. I’d fitted 14 inch by 7 inch rims, bought new Bridgestone tyres in 1995, all to give better grip. BUT, in 2012 I drove it from Grafton to Newcastle. Just outside Kempsey, doing 70 mph while showing off to those modern cars that these old girls still had it in them, a rear tyre suddenly deflated. The steering went haywire and I barely managed to pull over, but if that had been a front tyre I’d have bought the farm for sure. The rubber valve had perished and released the air.

I avoid driving it to town when I’m in a hurry because FJs are great conversation starters. You can get earbashed and trapped by some old stooge (like myself) who once owned one. One old guy said to me “you know mate, these cars weren’t all that good. They rusted too easily.” I replied “I rebuilt this one from a wreck so I’m well aware how bad they were.” Being conversation starters is understandable because in their day, FJs had 50% of the market, becoming part of the Australian psyche. I’ve lost count of the offers I’ve had from prospective buyers.

Two days ago, my wife came home with car trouble. Her newish Lexus V6, 4WD had lost all its cooling water. Inspection under the hood revealed that a plastic spigot below the radiator filler cap had snapped off inside the rubber hose clamped onto the spigot. (Pictured) The entire engine had been spray painted with coolant. It looked like a simple repair but sadly, no. The entire radiator is plastic, the filling point and it’s two spigots are inseparable. The radiator needed replacing, and the final bill came to $715! The reality of owning a modern luxury car came to my wife, but there was more to come. The battery had to be removed to access the radiator, so all the computer presets had been lost. Electric windows, electric sunroof, seat presets and more. Previously, when driving she could answer phone calls by pressing the screen to talk hands free. That needs a dealer to reset as well. BUT, this is all about technology and progress. Where would we be without these great innovations?

When I purchased my FJ wreck, it had no radiator. A $3 used one from a wrecker was fitted and this day it (as well as the two used rubber hoses) has never failed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh fj front end.JPG (61.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg hugh's radiator.JPG (33.4 KB, 7 views)

Old 10-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #754
woofa.express

The advantage ?? of a modern motor car.

In the previous story Hugh talked about replacing his Holden radiator and hoses for $3 and it’s still serving him well. Compare this to his wife Rosies Lexus. See the Lexus going off for service. On the back of tilt tray.
Hey Gary, I didn’t fully agree with Sunni’s decision to buy the Lexus, but it was her $ and her decision. She paid $12 K, the previous owner bought for $110 K (every factory option) but sold it for its trade in value. Luxury cars depreciation is phenomenal — the used car market knows they’re turkeys. She likes it a little less now after paying $715 for a cracked spigot. Cheers, Hugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh's radiator.JPG (33.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Hugh's fj chapter 4.JPG (49.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #755
woofa.express

There are rip off Merchants out there.

This is a follow on from yesterdays story by Hugh. The high pressure fuel pump failed in my VW Tiggy. The local garage wouldn’t touch it so I trailered it to a VW dealer. They confirmed the failure and quoted $10,700 for the repair. I trailered it home, purchased a new pump off ebay and had a local mechanic replace. Cost $700 for pump and filters plus $500 for the mechanic (labour component) who in addition replaced the timing belt and water pump.
Interestingly a parts only supplier who provided the filter congratulated me on knowing the engine and data of my motor car, for, he said, most people haven’t got a clue. They will be the suckers who fall for the rip off from dealer workshops like the one that quoted me the $10,700.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg money minded mechanic.JPG (39.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 10-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #756
woofa.express

British Humour.

We have a internet gigglebite allocation of grossly more than we need and because our television reception is poor the little we watch is through the internet. I say little because we find mostTV insulting to our intelligence. We do watch conciderable youtube and you all will be aware of the selection of programs and information that is available. Informative and/or entertaining or both.
I’m a sucker for English sitcoms. Their humour is much more subtle than in your face American sitcoms. The English really do it best. However good American movies can’t be beaten. Driving Miss Daisy and to Kill a mocking bird are my favourites.
The English have some beautiful classic car designs but complex and difficult systems. Americans have simple systems. So you American readers should not think I love everything British. It’s courses for horses.

It is my opinion the very best sitcom is “the last of the summer wine”. It ran from 1973 to 2010 and was seen in 25 countries including America and Canada. Watched by the Royal Family and other world dignitaries. It was of elderly folk who spent much time playing youthful mischievous pranks. Played by well known actors and actresses. Trouble was many of their lives ended before the show ended it’s 38 year run. We got to know these characters well and thought of them as our friends. You can get it on the internet. It will take 2 or 3 episodes to settle into and you will find their speech accent quite odd if you are American or Canadian.
The above was written by Roy Clarke who wrote many popular sitcoms. Perhaps the most popular was “keeping up appearances”. The star was Mrs. Bucket who insisted her name was Boo-Kay or however a Frenchman would pronounce it.
The very best comedian in the world (I reckon) is Pam Ayres. You can get her on youtube and I have the links below. Subtle and very humourous. The speech accent alone is funny.

Pam Ayres. A short funny on the following link-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l2ARBn4vNc
Pam Ayres, more than an hour of funnies. “word perfect”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXiSWrwBHtQ

Do watch them, betcha you enjoy them. Pictured below are Pam Ayres, Gregory Peck and Morgan Freeman, the latter 2 you will know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pam ayres.JPG (23.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg gregory peck.JPG (33.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg morgan freeman.JPG (39.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-12-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #757
woofa.express

Flying around Lake Urana.

There is a WW2 story about American pilots departing Townsville, Queensland for New Guinea. The story goes like this. They were instructed to takeoff, turn left, keep Australia on the left and that will take you to New Guinea. Well several kept Australia on the left, continued to keep Australia on the left until their gas was exhausted. They had reached the top of Australia, turned left heading west and left again heading south. They run out of gas in the Gulf of Carpentaria. End of part 1.

Part 2. It was in the late 90’s and I departed Finley for Boree Creek, about 50 minutes to the north east. Weather was a strong south westerly wind, low cloud with showers and visibility of about 500 yards. I was to spread urea fertilizer at Boree Creek and farmers love to apply just before or during rain. If not washed in the nitrogen component will leach from the fertilizer into the atmosphere. Miserable working conditions, just the sort of day you’d be pleased to stay home.

I had intercepted Lake Urana on the south west side and flew the western side which was enroute to my destination. I was about 200 feet and getting wet. I’ve never flown an ag aeroplane which was water proof. I noticed the wind had changed which was unusual for a strong wind and I noticed a town which I couldn’t identify. Then it occurred to me I had flown around Lake Urana, now heading back south west from where I came. I did just exactly what those pilots did in the north of Australia. And this from an experienced pilot. The wind hadn’t changed of course and the town was Urana, a town that I knew well. Today with GPS this would not have happened. The map at the bottom of this story will show you. Now you may well ask why you didn’t pick this up on your compass. I have never ever known a compass in an ag aeroplane to work. They carry a steel undercarriage legs of more than 200 pounds of steel and most ag planes have been flown through power wires which destroys all magnetic alignments which may have existed at the time of manufacture. To remove erroneous compass readings one degausses the aeroplane with an electrically charged wand that disrupts or eliminates the magnetic field of the aeroplane. It has never worked for me and I have not endeavoured to carry out this procedure for years.

So no navigation prizes for Gary that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lake urana.JPG (28.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-13-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #758
woofa.express

Fred’s 2 seater Pawnee.

I once knew a bloke who had a Pawnee modified to a two seater. Such a modification was made to provide a training aeroplane for ag pilots. Whilst the cabin was widened it was still cramped especially the pedals. They were of a size more suitable for small children.
Well one day, on takeoff with only one pilot the aeroplane veers left and the more Fred endeavoured to keep it strait the worse the situation became. I asked Fred just what had caused this and he said he was baffled. It took ages for me to figure this out but the reason was quite simple and Fred wasn’t honest. He had his left foot on the left rudder pedal and his right foot on the left pedal on the right hand side which was intended for the pilot undergoing training. Thus the more he pushed his right foot on that left pedal the more it headed left. Wasn’t it easier to simply admit his error, after all it could have happened to anyone. Rectification was simple. A partition was placed between the pedals so as the pilot on the left couldn’t inadvertently put his hoof on the pedals intended for the pilot on the right.
The name Fred in phony. The picture likewise but not the incident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fred's crashed pawnee.JPG (19.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-14-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #759
woofa.express

Country Humour.

Boree creek is a small town of about 200 folks in the southern NSW region of the Riverina. It is 50 miles west of the regional centre of Wagga Wagga. The name Wagga is aboriginal for crow and Wagga Wagga is many crows. Like all small Australian towns and rural areas, and indeed throughout the world, Boree Creek and small and rural communities are strong. It is an area where I always enjoyed working, spraying and spreading fertilizer on winter cereals and spraying canola in the early spring for grubs. Farmers would always work together and pull in the same direction. The camaraderie was great.
It was some time in the late ‘80’s I was busy sowing rice and sent another crop dusting operator to spray the canola. He was John Cornish and like myself operated an Agcat. John Cornish was also known as Captain Cornflakes. He is a pleasant fellow who had a small farm growing cherries in southern Victoria. He had spent his life time working with or for farmers and had the gift of saying just what they needed to hear or wanted to hear.
I think I have digressed from my story haven’t I so I’ll return to tell it. In those days GPS wasn’t even on the horizon and strait tracking and spacing was provided to the pilot by a farmer at each end of their paddock waving a flag. On completion of the job it was practice for these farmers to return to the airstrip, which was simply a smooth paddock and join the conversation with the others. In the winter this was around a fire which was burning old fence posts. Well Short Golder returned and was asked how the job went to which he replied “ they (the grubs) will all be on their backs now with legs in the air. To which came a responce from another “I think I’ll get Cornflakes to fly past my house and drift abit through the window”.
Country folk have dry humour don’t they?
The aeroplane picture is a phony but the names and incident are not. The forth nozzle on pilots left could be blocked but more likely to be turned off to compensate for the prop wash moving the spray to the left and likewise for the eighth on right, it's difficult to see a nozzle there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agcat spraying.jpg (39.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-17-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #760
ursus

Your mention of the use of humans to help orient crop duster pilots in the application of various pesticides reminds me of the potential risks involved. Back in the '60's and '70's the work as a spotter" was greatly coveted because it allowed for relatively high pay for a few hours work, provided one could arrive on site at the wee hours before the wind started up and spraying was halted. Several of my high school cohorts were lucky to get such jobs but may have paid for it later on. Two such died in their early thirties from cancers that were attributed to this work. They carried umbrellas to shield them from the spray, to no apparent benefit.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote