Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
oldford

Default 1935 running Board Trim Fasteners

I purchased a pair of stainless steel running board trim that run the full length of the running board. I would like to know how many fasteners were used to mount them. I would like to get it as correct as possible. The place I got the trim did not have the fasteners so I will have to make some. thanks
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: 1935 running Board Trim Fasteners

oldford-

If you look closely on the back of the running board you should see the holes already pre-drilled. Evidently, more than one supplier made boards for '35 and '36 Fords namely, Ohio Rubber (the most common) and Firestone (I have Firestones on my very original '35). As a result, different manufactures seem to use different amounts of attachment holes, some five others six. Perhaps other amounts were used.

As for the fasteners, don't panic. These are relatively easy to secure. Just go to:
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/. That is where I got mine.

Hope this helps.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

FYI,therunning board trim was only installed and correct for the touring sedans. They are NOT correct for any other models. Though they do look good on my coupe,BUT i know they are not correct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Don Rogers

They were also correct on 35/36 Convertible Sedans.
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Coupe35

I would like to install some of my 35 coupe and I looked and there are no existing holes for the trim. I guess because it is a coupe. The height dimension is what I would like to have for the center of the holes. It would be nice if someone had the rubber mats off their boards and could give me an exact dimension but if not, maybe from the edge of the rubber to the hole. Going by pictures it looks like the trim is flush with the bottom of the board, but that's just looking at pictures. thanks
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Don Rogers

My 35 Convertible sedan has 6 holes on the side of each runningboard. The holes are 10 1/2" apart. The trim is mounted along the bottom edge of the running board just above the bottom bead of rubber. The holes are approx 3/4" from the board bottom.
Hope this helps!
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Coupe35

Thanks Don, That's the info I was looking for.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
flatheadfan

Coupe35-

I checked my '35 and there are five clips holding the moulding to the running board. This is an original board with pre-drilled holes. The actual holes in the running board are exactly one inch above the metal edge of the board. This means the moulding is not even with the bottom of the board.

The problem you will run into if you are using repo or original mouldings is when you mount them on a '35 coupe or roadster. You will find that the rear moulding end (where it attaches to the rear fender) will dig into the fender. That is because the '35 coupe and roadster rear fenders flare out. This may or may not be true for a '36. To get around this you will be forced to move the front of the moulding farther ahead to give the rear fender some "breathing room." However, when you do this the extended length of the front moulding really requires you to drill a hole in the fender and add an additional fastener hole. The other option is to bend the rear end of the mounding to accommodate the fender flare. Looks "odd" but will work. Yet, there is still another option.

Frequently, on our "favorite auction site" a guy in St. Louis posts running board mouldings that are only slightly longer that the actual runningboard. That is what I am using. No extra hole drilling was required to produce a tight attachment. Hopefully, the following pictures will be useful.

Tom

Last edited by flatheadfan; 04-22-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
flatheadfan

35 coupe-

One more thing!

I made some exact measurements that might help. The five mounting holes in my running boards do have some variation (due to the board edge), the average is 0.801" from the metal's edge.

The "stock" Ford moulding I have measures 1.205" in width. The "epay" moulding that I am using on my '35, measures 0.968". Basically, the Ford moulding is approximately 1/4" wider. If I used the Ford moulding instead of the "epay" moulding the lower edge of the moulding would be 1/8" closer to the edge than the picture above shows. It would not be on the running board's edge but still have a rubber exposure below it. Obviously, others may have different results.

Basically, using micro-measurements to install a running board moulding may be an exercise in futility. I doubt if any show judge would be using a micrometer for judging. Just put the moulding on the way it looks good to you and go!

Tom
Old 09-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
mercman from oz

In this Tread, there has been a lot of discussions on which body styles these Stainless Steel Strips were originally fitted to. However, I did not see any mention that the originals have a slight dip in the centres. Check out these photos where a string line is attached to the top of the strip at the front and at the rear. You can see the gap in the centre. Now it appears that a lot of these reproduction strips are straight, and do not have this bend. Apparently, some reproduction running boards were made without this dip, and the SS Strips were made to match. So, when hunting down replacement SS Strips for your restoration, make sure that you are getting the correct strips for your car.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
KiWinUS

Repo mouldings are straight original are curved slightly from front to rear horizontally.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
DavidG

Along with Don's addition of the convertible sedan where the moldings were standard equipment, they could be ordered by any dealer and installed as desired by a car's owner and therefore under Early Ford V8 Club of America judging rules qualify as an authentic dealer-installed item and therefore "correct". However it is pushing the point if they do not naturally fit on a particular running board/fender combination.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:40 AM   #13
mercman from oz

Cover of the original sales brochure for the 1936 Fords. Notice that the Cabriolet illustrated has these Accessory Stainless Steel Strips.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote