Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Not a poll, Optima question

I have an Optima red top 6V in the roadster. It was slow to start a few days ago. As I drove to coffee a mile away I noticed about 10 to 15 amp charge going on all the way there. Same coming home. A couple of days back car failed to start so I put a charger on it correctly, 6V positive ground and came back to see the light on the charger was green. Engine wouldn't turn over and lights were dim to non existent after a couple of minutes. I have taken the battery out of the car, charging on a bench with a battery cable on the plus side as per the directions on my charger. First reading was about 3,0V. About four hours later 4.5 Volts. I'll check it in the morning and see if it has improved. Battery is Optima from Amazon.com and is approximately 14 Months old, tag says 11/14. Can't find the sales slip or the record on Amazon. Any clue what's going on? It worked real well till now. Why do I need a battery cable between the charger and the positive post while charging? I usually remove the circuit breaker when not driving, but didn't this last time that the battery died. I can see a spark sometimes when I remove CB, but cannot read a draw on volt meter or amp meter. Electrically stumped.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: Not a poll, Optima question

Curiosity got me and so I went out and took another reading. This about four hours after the last one, 5.5 Volts showing now. I'll post the morning number.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have read here that the Optima batteries built in the past 5 or so years are not as good as the ones built earlier. Seems the newer ones don't last as long.

With that said the Optima web site states, "Most high-quality, modern battery chargers now have built-in features to charge AGM batteries like OPTIMA batteries. Some have specific AGM settings which should be used to charge an OPTIMA battery. Do not use gel or gel/AGM settings, as they will not fully charge an OPTIMA battery and could damage it over time."
Is your charger a "high quality, modern charger"?

The site also states, "A deeply discharged OPTIMA battery (less than 10.5 volts) will not test or recharge properly if treated as a gel battery or regular flooded battery."
Old 01-11-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
Dodge

We have used them for years and were having problems until we started using the proper
battery chargers on these things.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
denis4x4

Used Optimas in Jeeps and hot rods for years without problems. Heche en Mexico Optimas are not the same. Switched to Dekas.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

What's wrong with the Tractor Supply Batt.? We all use that one in our club.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
FrankWest

I have a new optima 6 volt in my 1933 and see no difference between it and the Ford reproduction lead acid battery except that the lead acid battery seems easier to charge!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
mike657894

every optima i have seen recently was dead. i have seen similar readings on standard batteries after they had gone bad.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
bdave_mcc

They are awful batteries for cars that aren't driven all the time. I've used them on just about everything in the past. Once they are discharged to a certain voltage, a regular charger can't bring them back. You have to have the 200 dollar charger from optima...even then I've seen them not come back to life...if they test them at the parts house they say they are good. Been down that road...went through 4 replacents in two years and just ended up going with a regular battery.
bdave_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
What's wrong with the Tractor Supply Batt.? We all use that one in our club.
Sounds like your battery is "gone". Looks like needing a new one again.

I know this option if not the "optima" battery but I use this type of battery in all five of my rigs and they have given me very good service and long life.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Curiosity got me and so I went out and took another reading. This about four hours after the last one, 5.5 Volts showing now. I'll post the morning number.
Volts mean next too nothing IF the battery will not "load test"!
Use a load tester on the battery,...that will tell you how good the battery is.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Volts mean next too nothing IF the battery will not "load test"!
Use a load tester on the battery,...that will tell you how good the battery is.
Yep listen to DJ
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #13
daveymc29

The latest is that I checked the charge this morning before going out for four hours. I read 6.47 volts. Now when I just got back read it again and it is 6.35 volts. I understand that volts isn't the only thing I need and I also know I don't own a "load Tester" other than put it back in the car and see how it performs. That will be my first option as it is simple and not expensive. How is the best way to check the armored cable from Ignition to distributor? I have checked it when out of the car and it reads okay, but something is putting a draw when the key is off.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
The latest is that I checked the charge this morning before going out for four hours. I read 6.47 volts. Now when I just got back read it again and it is 6.35 volts. I understand that volts isn't the only thing I need and I also know I don't own a "load Tester" other than put it back in the car and see how it performs. That will be my first option as it is simple and not expensive. How is the best way to check the armored cable from Ignition to distributor? I have checked it when out of the car and it reads okay, but something is putting a draw when the key is off.
Check for a draw / drain on the battery with a regular testlight.... You can do a backyard load on the battery by putting on the lights for a few minutes and see if it recovers to the proper voltage
Old 01-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #15
Jon

I've been looking for a battery recently for a different vehicle and read a lot about Optima's being built in Mexico now, 3 yr. warranty, and if you bought it from Amazon that Amazon is not considered a recognized dealer and warranty no good???
Old 01-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
daveymc29

Okay, here is what I did and the outcome. Put the battery back in the car when the charger showed a green light. Started the car and the amp meter showed a rate of charge of about 10 amps, not sure how accurate that is but that is what showed on the dash amp meter. I ran the car for about five minutes a a medium idle and rechecked the dash amp meter/ It now showed about 2 amps charge rate. When I shut it off I pulled the circuit breaker and again saw a small spark as it disconnected. This is with all switches off, so something is putting a draw on the system. I cannot get a reading from my amp meter across the gap where the circuit breaker goes, but there is current present. Perhaps my amp meter is not capable of reading it but its there. Not enough to light a test light,
Old 01-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The usual drains are either a stuck brake light switch or the cut out.. Remove the wire from the cut out and see if the spark goes away... It should be detectable with the testlight in series off one of the battery cables.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #18
Barry B./ Ma.

Sounds like you could use a good heavy duty shut off switch on the battery ground side then you can shut it down when not in use and you don't need to worry about that small drain slowly draining the battery.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #19
Keith True

Do you have an alternator or a generator? When you said the charge rate went from 10 to 2 it sounds like you have either an alternator or a regulator in the generator.If it has just a stock cutout the charge rate will be constant.If you have an alternator the small draw is normal,the key word being small.Not a real big fan of Optimas.I know of a couple that have been around for years,but also know of a few wet batteries that have been around just as long.I noticed the Optima rack at a parts store here was empty.When I mentioned it there was a lot of grumbling and swearing behind the counter.Seems that Optima burned them on warranty claims.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #20
zzlegend

Just my opinion. I am running two that I bought years ago. One in my A and one in my 54 chevy. But now my bud who owns a repair business, dropped them due to many come backs and warranty issues. I then went to Costco, who always carried them, and same story. To many warranty problems. The salesman said since they moved to mexico, they just are not the same. Just passing this along.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote