Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
BDH

Default Brake fluid

What is the best type of brake fluid for 39 ford one toner?
Just picked it up, in great shaped partially restored in 93.
Look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks in advance for your input!!!
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
345 DeSoto

Default Re: Brake fluid

Dot #5...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
fortyfords

I use dot 5 because my cars sit a lot, the ones I drive a lot do good on dot 3 or 4. If you plan on having a lot of fun with the car, I wouldn't change over to dot 5 as the whole system has to be flushed first to get rid of the old brake fluid. If you don't flush, the old fluid gels up and floats around in the dot 5. Old cars are easy to bleed brakes so after the dot 3 or 4 gets dirty, its easy to bleed out the dirty fluid. This is how it works for me, good luck
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
alanwoodieman

I run Dot 5 in all my old cars and in any others that I work on. It is a little different to bleed to get the air out but it is NOT that difficult. I would flush the system to get the old fluid out and refill with Dot 5
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
40cpe

I agree, DOT 5 if it will sit a lot, DOT 3 or 4 if driven regularly. Don't mix them. You will get varying opinions on the DOT 5. It can be difficult to bleed in some cases. I've had two cars on DOT 5. One with the master cylinder on the firewall has perfect performance, the one with the master cylinder under the floor is impossible to get all the air out.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Mike51Merc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
While we're on the subject, does anyone have a chart, or story, about the differences in brake fluids?

I have some real old unopened cans of Wagner "21" that says SAE Spec R72. This stuff smells a bit like alcohol, yet is slick like silicone. Anyone know it's DOT equivalent? Would it be safe to use after about 45 years in the can? It's clean and clear and the cans are rust free.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Frank Miller

I did not read anywhere that you are planning to completely overhaul the brake system. If you are not planning on doing so then you need to determine what is in there and stick with that. If you replace everything then I suggest the DOT 5 simply because it does not absorb moisture and it does not harm paint. I had problems with the 4 piston calipers on my Mustang. After switching to DOT 5 and driving only occasionally it has been trouble free for 20 years.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
While we're on the subject, does anyone have a chart, or story, about the differences in brake fluids?

I have some real old unopened cans of Wagner "21" that says SAE Spec R72. This stuff smells a bit like alcohol, yet is slick like silicone. Anyone know it's DOT equivalent? Would it be safe to use after about 45 years in the can? It's clean and clear and the cans are rust free.
Today's Wagner 21b = DOT3. If it's 45 years old, doubt if it's silicone.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
rotorwrench

The silicon stuff (DOT-5) has only been readily available since 1978 or 79
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
BDH

Great stuff! I'm starting from scratch so I can go straight to the DOT 5.
Does Dot 5 change the brake performance, or lack of, as I've heard on these old brakes???
Thanks again for all the input!
Really learning a lot from all the info on this site!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Frank Miller

If you do a search on DOT 5 you will find plenty of info. About half of it contradicts the other half. You need to make sure your flares are good and connections are tight. Fill and bleed carefully as they say it can foam up. I never had this problem. The pedal may not feel quite as solid but performance is very acceptable. DOT 5 has a higher boiling temperature, which makes it desirable for racing applications.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
lee34

I would do some research on brake fluids before choosing one.After seeing the pros & cons you might feel informed enough to make your own decision.One of the difference in DOT 3 & DOT 4 is the boiling point.DOT 5 has a higher boiling point but needs more maintenance .DOT 3 & 4 both will absorb moisture and keep it in suspension.DOT 5 will not absorb moisture or keep it in suspension.Moisture in DOT 5 will seek the lowest level.DOT 3 & 4 will turn from an almost clear to dark brown and should be replaced.
The darker the color the more moisture in the liquid.DOT 5 will not change color the same way.If the brake fluid (DOT 5) has moisture it will accumulate at the lowest level .The brakes being hot can boil the moisture.The steam does not compress as good as the liquid. GOOGLE DOT 3,4,& 5 . Each have advantages . Good luck lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
345 DeSoto

Water accumulating in DOT 5 is a myth. DOT 3 and 4 ABSORB/attract moisture through the venting in and out process when the brakes are applied/let off. Dot 5 doesn't absorb/attract moisture from the air during venting. Dot 3 and 4 are "hygroscopic"...Dot 5 isn't...

Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 05-17-2011 at 08:28 AM.
345 DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Frank Miller

I agree with Desoto based on the testimony of so many people that DOT5 has solved their corrosion problems in their infrequently used brake systems.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
345 DeSoto

When I first started using Dot 5 years ago, it retained the fine bubbles in solution if I bleed the brakes by pumping hell out of them and holding the pedal. Gave me a not so hard pedal, but EVENTUALLY I could bleed them out. Three weeks ago, the DOT 5 I used didn't seem to have this problem...however, I vacuum bled them anyway. NICE, normal pedal...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
PeteVS

I think that one of the great advances in brake design came about 1964. That was the "jelly jar" type of master cylinder cap that had a nice "rolling" diaphragm that allowed the fluid level to change each time you stepped on the brakes without pumping moisture laden air in and out of the vent hole over the fluid. I got a '63 Chebby and I wish it had a '64 type master cylinder for that reason, but I am using silicone fluid in it.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
BDH

Once again great points!! I do plan on vaccum bleeding so this might help, but I dont plan on replacing everything right away. As long as I bleed everything I should be ok?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
345 DeSoto

You'll be just fine...