Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default 53 Ranchwagon gas tank

Removed the gas tank to clean it out. Very easy to remove. Seems very clean now, but I have a question about the outlet port. I thought that the opening where the fuel line connects would be right at the connection point. However, looking inside the tank, there is a tube that runs from the inlet port to the center of the tank. I ran a wire thru the tube, and it stops at the end of the tube inside the tank. It is fastened with a bracket inside the tank. The end of the tube seems to be fluted, and not wide open. Liquid does come out the fitting port, but I guess I am just wondering if the end of that tube should be the same diameter all the way thru. I was thinking of taking a rod and try opening up the end of the tube, but if it is supposed to be closed down, I don't want to mess with it. Is anyone familiar with what I am trying to explain? Thanks..
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: 53 Ranchwagon gas tank

Tommyleea,

I have a '53 Ranchwagon and I removed the tank to clean it out and attempt to fix a bit of "flattening" that had occurred when someone evidently ran over something. I did not notice any tube from the gas line into the center of the tank. But that probably makes sense... getting to the lowest point in the tank from the external fitting. And I could imagine that the tube would be crimped with a hole drilled in the "top" to reduce risk of picking up sediment. But I'm only speculating frankly. I would think you could see more with a cheap borescope. But if you blow it out with air and know you have flow, and the tank is clean, I'd suppose you'd be ok. Did you have fuel flow issues before pulling the tank, or did the car run ok? Sorry I'm not more help.

What part of Missouri are you located? Not a lot of Ranchwagons on the road here in StL.

Regards,

Bruce
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
tommyleea

Default Re: 53 Ranchwagon gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_MO View Post
Tommyleea,

I have a '53 Ranchwagon and I removed the tank to clean it out and attempt to fix a bit of "flattening" that had occurred when someone evidently ran over something. I did not notice any tube from the gas line into the center of the tank. But that probably makes sense... getting to the lowest point in the tank from the external fitting. And I could imagine that the tube would be crimped with a hole drilled in the "top" to reduce risk of picking up sediment. But I'm only speculating frankly. I would think you could see more with a cheap borescope. But if you blow it out with air and know you have flow, and the tank is clean, I'd suppose you'd be ok. Did you have fuel flow issues before pulling the tank, or did the car run ok? Sorry I'm not more help.

What part of Missouri are you located? Not a lot of Ranchwagons on the road here in StL.

Regards,

Bruce
I did use a borescope, but I don't know what I should be seeing. It makes sense to eliminate debris from entering the line. I did blow it out, and I put in enough soap and water to see droplets at the outlet fitting. It wasn't running when I got it, and actually just bought it for the flathead. I was going to junk the car, but the more I looked at it I thought I would just keep it around awhile and see what happens. The flathead is rebuilt, and I did install it, but not running yet. The car has a long way to go. Don't know if it will every get on the road, but I can use it as a test stand. I am west of you in Warrensburg, MO. Maybe 200 miles? Thanks for the input. Is yours running? Another reason I kept it is because of the horn button...Anniversary. Cheers.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote