Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Steering Box LEAKS!!

What can be done besides installing the seal around the steering gear sector and installing a steering gear end plate w/rod to stop leaks?

Is there anyone who's gear box does NOT LEAK?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
DNLs1930

Default Re: Steering Box LEAKS!!

I just installed the end plate with tube with a new gasket and a bead of RTV to address a leak. Additionally instead of the 600WT I filled it with 00 Cotton Picker Oil I got at Tractor Supply on the recommendation from many on this site. The 00 is thicker than 600WT and I hope it stays where it is so I do not have to address the problem again for a long time. SO at this time my steering box does not leak and it is not empty ;-)
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Cape Codder

Thanks for that info DNLs1930. Guess I should have searched the subject before posting!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

Penrite steering box lube and Corn Head Grease are both very good. They are almost a grease but will still flow and keep everything lubricated and they do not leak.

DO NOT use grease in the steering box. All the internal components will not get properly lubricated.

There have been several threads. on this subject.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
David R.

Sealant on threads of bolts in bottom plate. One of mine was drilled into housing and leaking around bolt after I rebuilt. I pulled bolts and added sealant on threads. It is dry now. I used standard sector and put the o-ring and washer over sector shaft on outside before bolting to frame.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
DNLs1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Thanks for that info DNLs1930. Guess I should have searched the subject before posting!

No worries and you just give people like me who just learned a bunch of lessons to pass then on and make a contribution to the BARN...

AND The search is always good but sometimes there is more then you would ever want to read...

Oh yea David R GOOD ONE!!
Not sure if you or someone else posted about that but (FYI, Cap Codder) I also RTVed the threads and a dab on the end of each bolt to seal them too (just in case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
Sealant on threads of bolts in bottom plate. One of mine was drilled into housing and leaking around bolt after I rebuilt. I pulled bolts and added sealant on threads. It is dry now. I used standard sector and put the o-ring and washer over sector shaft on outside before bolting to frame.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
neds29

I just got mine back together last night, filled it with 600W, and was under the car this afternoon to connect the pedals, and noticed the box was leaking! Very discouraging. I'll try the o-ring and washer next, then...?
Ned
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Penrite steering box lube and Corn Head Grease are both very good. They are almost a grease but will still flow and keep everything lubricated and they do not leak.

DO NOT use grease
in the steering box. All the internal components will not get properly lubricated.

There have been several threads. on this subject.

Chris W.

The Penrite is grease !

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #9
daren007

I did not use the dreaded RTV. Mine does not leak.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
John

Sealant on threads of bolts in bottom plate. One of mine was drilled into housing and leaking around bolt after I rebuilt. I pulled bolts and added sealant on threads. It is dry now.

The holes for both of the bolts for the bottom plate on 2 tooth boxes are drilled into the housing. You should use a sealant on both of these bolts.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
duke36

Most of the "600W" the vendors sell is equivalent to modern SAE 140 wt. gear oil. I've seen in an orig. can 600 w which is much thicker , more like the 1500 or 1200 Meropa available today We use the corn head (John Deere or others) in the box but not elsewhere as it becomes more liquid during operation such as in the u joint. There is a thread that suggests adding a sealing washer to the sector end gear adjusting bolt / nut.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

Since the 1960s, I have been putting grease into the steering box first to seal the sector shaft, followed by an ounce or two of SAE 75W-140 hypoid gear oil. No leaks!
Old 05-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Flathead

I never understood Ford's plan on the steering box, no seal and fill it with oil? Will 600w oil NOT leak past a good bushing or just not enough to worry about "back in the day"?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I find that not to be entirely true. After sitting a while, Penrite has a lighter oil that collects on top and finds it way out the sector shaft on my car. This is after going to the trouble of installing the "O" ring fix the 'correct way', not just mashing the "O" ring against the frame.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 05-09-2020 at 11:35 AM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #15
neds29

My new steering gearbox seal kit came with an o-ring and a flat washer. What's the correct way to install the o-ring, if not to mash it between the sector shaft housing and frame? Les Pearson, of course, in his manual, recommends ensuring installing a new bushing and then honing the bushing (a delicate job he opines). I'd rather not go through the pain of disassembling the gearbox and having to adjust it again, but is that the only solution?
Thanks, Ned
Old 05-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by neds29 View Post
My new steering gearbox seal kit came with an o-ring and a flat washer. What's the correct way to install the o-ring, if not to mash it between the sector shaft housing and frame? Les Pearson, of course, in his manual, recommends ensuring installing a new bushing and then honing the bushing (a delicate job he opines). I'd rather not go through the pain of disassembling the gearbox and having to adjust it again, but is that the only solution?
Thanks, Ned
Per Bratton's instructions; 'O' ring to be used on sector shaft to seal against frame. Recess sector bushing 3/32" at frame end of sector housing for 'O' ring. One thin steel flat washer is used to keep the 'O' ring in place against the frame.

It didn't work for me, altho it did slow the leak down. Maybe I have too much clearance on the sector shaft but it didn't appear to be so at the time.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
ryanheacox

So far since reinstalling my steering box in the car and filling with 600w I have no leaks. Fully rebuilt and used permatex on every thread that penetrated the case and any mating surface. Of course I haven't driven the car at all yet so we'll see how long it's leak free.

My box was already converted to needle bearings with a lip seal on the sector shaft and had the long tube so that helps as well.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #18
neds29

I've installed the o-ring and washer, then refilled the gear box and it looks good. So far no leaks, but I haven't driven it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Ned
Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #19
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Per Bratton's instructions; 'O' ring to be used on sector shaft to seal against frame. Recess sector bushing 3/32" at frame end of sector housing for 'O' ring. One thin steel flat washer is used to keep the 'O' ring in place against the frame.

It didn't work for me, altho it did slow the leak down. Maybe I have too much clearance on the sector shaft but it didn't appear to be so at the time.
A mechanic friend suggested trying the o ring and plate without mod's and buy or make some thin steel or plate washers for the housing to frame to match the large washer thickness and the 7/16-20 bolts. Then tighten it up as snug as possible without stripping the nuts or threads.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #20
PotvinV8

Here's a story I shot rebuilding my 2-tooth box. No leaks after six months using the aforementioned vendor-supplied 600wt oil. Perhaps there's something there that might help someone...

https://clampdowncomp.com/tech/how-t...-steering-box/
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote