Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
DNLs1930

Default Headlight resilver or repalace

I used the search function and "resilvering" headlight reflectors is not a popular subject at least in the last four years...

Is this due to better quality of the newer versions of reflectors available compared to resilver costs?

I would like to keep the what I think are original reflectors but they are in bad shape as I'm pretty sure I can see the base metal behind the silver on one of them and the other has a bad parking light socket so kinda at a point where new versions seem to be the logical choice.

The car is a family driver so not keeping to a judging standard.

I do not drive at night and do not plan to but ya never know so not a must do project at this time just looking for options.

I would like to run the lights during the daytime as "daylight running lights" and have a new set of incandescent bulbs to install but open to the LED options for bulbs as well. Thinking the LEDs would help lower the electrical load significantly which can only help increase the longevity of the newly installed 6 V pos grnd alt.

THANKS AS ALWAYS!!!
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Headlight resilver or repalace

I have a company locally that re-silvers reflectors but it is expensive and you need to have some good reflectors to start with. Unless you are restoring a Fine Point Car, I would buy some new ones from Brattons. Theirs have the correctly shaped and are the best available. There are other reproductions that are not correctly made and do not reflect the light correctly.

I would also suggest LED bulbs, much less currant draw and they work well. Brattons also sell LED head light bulbs.

That is what I would do.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Cannot help with resilvering info.

There was a lot of discussion on LED headlights when Logo Light were 1st offered. For more info perhaps do a search. Most Led headlights do throw a ton more light, have a low current draw 1-2 amps per headlight. Down side is most if all do not focus into a pattern/beam like the correct incandescents. They throw light everywhere. I have them and like them specifically because I use them for daytime driving lights, rarely drive at night. They throw a very bright/very white light, so do not recreate the look of an incandescent. People really do notice and see you coming. If converting to LEDS, make sure you have good socket contacts, and good grounds, and connections. Otherwise they may flicker when driving.

If converting to LED, consider adding a Third brakelight strip . I added one to the tailgate of my truck and have noticed a huge difference, people no longer look confused when I am slowing down, and more distance between me and them when slowing down/stopping.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:40 AM   #4
dumb person

I am a fan of the idea of re-silvering the reflectors, but finding anyone to do it might be tricky. I hear good things about brattons reproduction reflectors.

One option for daytime running lights i explored is putting LED strips where the gasket between the glass and reflector is. You only need tiny wires to 'feed' LED's.
In reality, the tests i have done so far haven't revealed much that is bright enough as "daytime running lights", electroluminescent wire wasn't quite bright enough to be a park light.
But it that light placement is something to think about.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
CA Victoria

To shed a little light I just did a some research, there are a few folks doing re Silvering.
I prefer originals so I choose Craig Riker in Ohio. 419-290-4442
Brattons reflectors are said to be very good too.
Price is going to be a wash, Brattons are $99pr, Re Silvering is about the same.
The third option is a fella in Ore who does a glass like coating, said to be more durable. This process is done over a nickel plating ( 2 processes) and is a bit more pricey with 2 steps.

With reflectors re done and the higher output incandescent bulbs you might be suppressed, adjusted properly they should be very good.
Consider LED tail lights too. Two if you don’t already have them. United Pacific Industries replacement lens style very bright.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Silver plating is not a good idea because it tarnishes black, it scratches easily so it cannot be polished. i also recommend chrome plated reflectors from Bratton's.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
emf

The "fella in Ore" is most likely Uvira. Google it. They electroplate aluminum onto the reflector and polish it. I had it done on my old Graham MANY years ago and the brightness approached a sealed beam headlight. Highly recommend it...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
chrs1961815

Originals always. Resilvering prices are all over the board. I use Craig Riker as he is very fair with his prices and does great work and knows Model A's. Just had him restore two 28 headlights for me. Brattons might be good quality, but it cannot be an original reflector. If the seal is put in correctly, there should be no outside air hitting the reflector for it to tarnish.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

I do not know anything about silver, would a good coat of polish or clearcoat prevent tarnish?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
chrs1961815

I was advised to you just regular old car wax on Nickel and Silver. Definetely don't want an abrasive.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Badpuppy

I used Medallion Liquid Silver with fair results. Replates the silver, but a lot of exposed brass comes out rather orange, no matter how much you put on. Nushine and Jax are similar products.

Might work well enough for your use.

I plan to nickel plate another pair I have and try it again, will probably turn out better.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
redmodelt

Don't go with the cheaper chrome ones. The new ones sold are the correct shape.

As a sample;
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...hts/head-light
Old 04-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Silver plating is not a good idea because it tarnishes black, it scratches easily so it cannot be polished. i also recommend chrome plated reflectors from Bratton's.
The reflectors from Bratton's are not chrome plated. Chrome does not reflect enough light when compared to other surfaces. As funny as it may sound the reflectors are aluminum plated and then sealed. This process is also used for medical mirrors and mirrors used in space craft, definitely the best.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
ryanheacox

As others have said, aluminum coated reflectors from Brattons are the way to go. Take a look at the graph and you can see that silver is slightly more reflective than aluminum by ~5% in the visible spectrum (between the poorly drawn lines). Also note that chrome is only ~60% reflective, no good. Given that silver will tarnish if not perfectly maintained, I'd still go with new Brattons reflectors. I have them and they are markedly better than the old chrome ones.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #15
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNLs1930 View Post
I used the search function and "resilvering" headlight reflectors is not a popular subject at least in the last four years...

Is this due to better quality of the newer versions of reflectors available compared to resilver costs?

I would like to keep the what I think are original reflectors but they are in bad shape as I'm pretty sure I can see the base metal behind the silver on one of them and the other has a bad parking light socket so kinda at a point where new versions seem to be the logical choice.

The car is a family driver so not keeping to a judging standard.

I do not drive at night and do not plan to but ya never know so not a must do project at this time just looking for options.

I would like to run the lights during the daytime as "daylight running lights" and have a new set of incandescent bulbs to install but open to the LED options for bulbs as well. Thinking the LEDs would help lower the electrical load significantly which can only help increase the longevity of the newly installed 6 V pos grnd alt.

THANKS AS ALWAYS!!!
Article from 1935;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polish headlst.jpg (54.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post

Brattons are not chrome plated. Chrome is not a good material for reflectors as chrome actually defuses the light.

Bratton's are aluminum coated.

Modern telescopes mirrors are coated with aluminum. This is the best material for reflectivity, Silver is next.

You can polish silver, you use lamp black and a very soft cloth, like a piece of flannel. Lamp black is available at a good hardware store.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #17
Dale G.

Try Ron's Corner in Missouri. 660-749-5473. He re-silvers my original mirrors. When they start to turn yellowish, polish with lamp black and flannel. Do not use any micro fiber cloth. It will scratch the silver surface.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #18
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Article from 1935;
What is "precipitated chalf"? Or is that a 1935 spell check.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #19
Bruce_MO

I second the Uvira comment. Really nice quality
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #20
JoeCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
What is "precipitated chalf"? Or is that a 1935 spell check.
That is "precipitated Chalk"
From my handy "materials handbook" …
Suspenso, of the Diamond Alkali Co., is a very white, grit-free precipitated Calcium Carbonate. There were several other trade names listed for similar ultra pure forms of the same chemical. I suspect that a compounding druggist would use this for creating pills.

More info than you will ever need!

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote