Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #21
Sal

Default Re: help: Trunk won't open

I hate idiots that like to slam doors and trunks on old cars! I had a jerk that's was a friend go for a ride in my model A hot rod. The first thing he did when he climbed in was to slam the door. He then looked at me and said that's how you can tell if its a solid car. I looked at him in disbelief, I wanted to punch in his head. When I dropped this a__hole off I saw the 1/4 window had cracked. I guess "you can't fix stupid".
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #22
Marv

If you have to take the back seat out to unlock it , maybe you can get that neighbor and stuff his butt in the trunk to open it.
LOL
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #23
34pickup

stay safe stay safe stay safe........
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
Six volt

I am SixVolt and might have a remedy for your problem. I am hoping that the latch mechanism is the same as on my 37 Ford because mine had a similar problem last year.
The handle will turn but will not unlatch the trunk to open... there is a square shaft attached to the handle (approx.3/8”square), the shaft extends into some sheet metal bracing to secure it in place, and this is where the actual spring loaded latch piece is slipped onto the shaft. This latch piece has a square hole in the center,,, so,,,turn the handle and the shaft twist the latch pulling it up to release the trunk. Over time and use the square shaft gets rounded off on its corners and slips on the latch piece, then of course doesn’t move it to release the latch. So for me I had someone push closed on the trunk while at the same time I pulled out on the handle in order to get more of the more square part of the shaft to bite better on the latch piece (square hole). It worked, and now I have a new shaft.
Good luck with it.
Six volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #25
mercman from oz

Some people just don't get it. I remember back in 2009 when I was with my Australian mate who bought a 1942 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan that was for sale at a Ford Dealers. The Serviceman were inspecting it prior to taking delivery, and decided to close the Trunk. As you all know, you simply pull it down to close. Not this Serviceman? He pushed the Mechanism with the coil springs on each side so that they were both pushed in, then he forced it closed. The end result is that all the arms were bent. We didn't realise this until we were a few hundred miles way from the Dealership. We had to undo the mechanism on both sides and that meant that we had to hold the trunk lid open while we packed and unpacked it. Subsequently, the car was shipped back home to Australia where the necessary parts were obtained from a local 1946 Ford Sedan and the repair completed. There is always someone around that does not understand these old Fords. Hope you get the trunk lid open on your car and are able to perform the necessary repairs so that this problem does not reoccur.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #26
Russdadto5

I had a 40 that the latch was adjusted incorrectly on when I got it .I had to put the key in turn gently while pulling out on the key or it wouldn't catch the squares on the lock to turn it. Took me a while to figure this out . The handle would come off in my hand because there was no ring in it to hold the handle in place & the latch was to far down to catch.
Russdadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #27
grouchyandugly

removed the rear seats. then was able to take the lug nut holding the spare tire vertically.... used some 5 extensions and removed 3 nuts!! … but... ha... those held the Tag Plate on !! dumb dirtyword tire is in the way of using a long screwdriver, as there are 2 slotted screws that can come out (if that tire was outta the way)…. anyways... I can remove the bolts/nuts holding the Trunk Lid on... am seriously thinking of that. any thoughts on removing those nuts??? the Trunk had been not wanting to close when I bought it, actually swapped for it, about 4 weeks or so ago. had not got around to finding out why, as I have not been driving it. so.... wheeeeeeee… stay safe. thanks
grouchyandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #28
grouchyandugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six volt View Post
I am SixVolt and might have a remedy for your problem. I am hoping that the latch mechanism is the same as on my 37 Ford because mine had a similar problem last year.
The handle will turn but will not unlatch the trunk to open... there is a square shaft attached to the handle (approx.3/8”square), the shaft extends into some sheet metal bracing to secure it in place, and this is where the actual spring loaded latch piece is slipped onto the shaft. This latch piece has a square hole in the center,,, so,,,turn the handle and the shaft twist the latch pulling it up to release the trunk. Over time and use the square shaft gets rounded off on its corners and slips on the latch piece, then of course doesn’t move it to release the latch. So for me I had someone push closed on the trunk while at the same time I pulled out on the handle in order to get more of the more square part of the shaft to bite better on the latch piece (square hole). It worked, and now I have a new shaft.
Good luck with it.
Six Volt: I found/know that square, sticks out a bit.... but it is square as you stated, and I cannot get anything onto it.... might buy me a 3/8 square socket.... but have noticed I can easily (sorta) get to the nuts holding the Trunk Lid on, and am thinking of taking those 4 nuts off and find out if I can or cannot. I understand what you mean about rounding off, but, "murphy strikes" and so I have to do what I can do (grab another cuppa 40-weight). stay safe. thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #29
cas3

old secret here, dont tell, but a 12 point socket two sizes bigger than the square will fit. now i am not familiar with that car, but most trunk latches are an L or hook shape thing that will require you to move the whole deck lid sideways to get the hook thingy unhooked. will the rain gutter and other latch mounting stuff allow you to move sideways even with the hinges unbolted? and which side to move it to? some one with that same car needs to study this with the trunk open. good luck
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #30
joe plumber

Google trunk monkey
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #31
TJ

Had a trunk handle break on '40 some years ago. I used the T handle with a square shank from a garage door mechanism to open the deck lid.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #32
grouchyandugly

got it. made me feel dumb. friend came over (not my neighbor) and we went in thru the back, sorta, took the nuts (not me) off the hinges and the spring hinges, but Trunk Lid would not release..... then my friend wanted the 'keys'..... I worked the key and he worked the release lever.... IT RELEASED !! the key has to be used IN THE LOCK TO RELEASE THE DUMB DIRTYWORD LATCH!!… sure won't forget that !!! then we had to reconnect everything up like it was and checked it again....RELEASES GREAT. big relief. this Merc is so original it is great!! (wish I still wuz). stay safe. thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
Mike in AZ

Congrats on getting it open without using a can opener. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #34
Mart

Hooray!

Thank heavens for that. I can sleep easy at night now.

(Glad you got it done).

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote