Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
KMeredith87

Default Number two cylinder looks off...

Was changing the head gasket yesterday on the truck and I noticed the number cylinder didn’t look right. The other three are shiny and nice and all the cross hatching is still visible. However, the number two is dull and can no longer see any cross hatching. I don’t have the best pictures and I already put the head back on so I won’t be able to get any more... any thoughts from what I do have. I’m at a bit of a loss here...I rebuilt the engine a few years ago and have maybe 2-3000 miles on it. Don’t mine he nasty rusty water...I’m flushing the block as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 826C2F0E-63C1-4003-B8F9-770B839085DD.jpg (41.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 68218291-584F-4B33-90B0-CE255F51932D.jpg (42.2 KB, 201 views)
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
gustafson
BANNED

Default Re: Number two cylinder looks off...

been running straight water?
rings are stuck
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Why was the gasket being replaced ? That may lead to the problem. Just from the picture it appears to be an oil ring issue without any further description.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
MikeK

Top comp ring had too little end gap and closed up when very hot, lapping itself and the wall. Ring now stuck or has zero tension.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
KMeredith87

I was thinking maybe rings...I replaced the head gasket due to an exhaust smell in th coolant and what seemed like a blown head gasket. I didn’t see the typical signs of a blown head gasket but could definitely smell the exhaust in thin coolant. I typically run distilled water and some sort of rust inhibitor but I don’t think I had enough in there...this engine has given me fits keeping it cool. It was bored over 125 so it may just have been too much...I have another good block I’m thinking it may be time to build

Any suggestions to get the run possibly unstuck or just pull that piston and change the rings?
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

While sticking due to being carboned or gummed up may be cured with various kinds of snake oil, mechanical damage requires removing the piston.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
iverson

did you do a compression check? was it missing on that cylinder? a missing cyl will gum up fast
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Don't know why I keep preaching this...................but antifreeze should be in every engine. Doesn't matter if you live at the equator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
Chuck Sea/Tac

I don’t think .0125” has anything to do with it. How was the block water jackets cleaned? And the radiator?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
ModelAMike1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Don't know why I keep preaching this...................but antifreeze should be in every engine. Doesn't matter if you live at the equator.
X2 on what tom said.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
MikeK

Your 0.125 overbore will not make it run hot. A rusty block is an insulated block and will be trouble. So are limed up radiator tubes. When the head comes off again you may have to go into the water jacket openings with a piece of speedo cable in an electric drill to really break up heavy crud accumulations in every nook and cranny. You should then run a Gano type coolant filter for a while in the upper rad hose.

Do as Tom says, run antifreeze. But first fix that cyl! Then after some light heat cycles and re-torques to seat the new gasket with just water in the block remove the rust by switching to Tom's vinegar method or use a commercial chelator like straight EDTA or buy one of the over the counter rust remover chelation elixirs like Rust 911 or Evaporust. Both the vinegar and the chelators will also clean out deposits in the radiator but will NOT open tubes it cannot flow through.

Clean out the Gano filter in the upper rad hose after the rust and radiator lime removal then go to antifreeze to take advantage of its pH buffers and anti corrosion properties. I ran 50/50 in my town sedan way back in 2008 at the Dallas world meet and, with
a 160 stat in the upper hose, even though it was 99 or 100 every day my engine never went over 180, even when backed up in traffic.

Of course this all assumes you are not running with retarded timing, which will cook any engine in short order.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:07 AM   #12
James Rogers

Do a compression check and let us know what you find. Also, you can run it and check it with a vacuum gauge. That will tell you volumes about the condition of the engine. May be bad valves or anything related to that cylinder.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
Synchro909

Have a real close look for a crack in the block from the exhaust valve to the cylinder. I've seen them get so bad, they leak coolant into the cylinder.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
100IH

Water in the combustion will clean house just like#1 cylinder pic. As 909 says could be a crack and the picture seems to show one from the exhaust port to the valve seat. Not the best picture though, not trying to scare you, too bad the head is back on.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote