Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1954 Ranch Wagon e brake cable springs

I can't remember the exact location of the springs I've seen in the past, but fairly sure they didn't connect to the leaf spring u-bolt! My guess would be the exhaust install guys moved them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #22
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
My guess would be the exhaust install guys moved them.

That's probably true, but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think they had a real good reason for moving them...they likely just forgot where they hooked up to originally. On studying my photos and 51504bat's photos, there actually isn't really a clearance problem as I'd first thought. The brackets for the cables ahead of the rear wheels are not movable - and they're behind where my cable crosses my (single) exhaust, yet ahead of where the mounting spring is, i.e., no clearance issue with exhaust. You can see this on 51504bat's frame-off photo.

Hopefully he'll post a photo of his friend's car. OTOH, I'll probably leave the springs where they are - they haven't fallen off and my e brake works fine. I will check the hangars on my exhaust, though.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #23
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post
That's probably true, but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think they had a real good reason for moving them...they likely just forgot where they hooked up to originally. On studying my photos and 51504bat's photos, there actually isn't really a clearance problem as I'd first thought. The brackets for the cables ahead of the rear wheels are not movable - and they're behind where my cable crosses my (single) exhaust, yet ahead of where the mounting spring is, i.e., no clearance issue with exhaust. You can see this on 51504bat's frame-off photo.

Hopefully he'll post a photo of his friend's car. OTOH, I'll probably leave the springs where they are - they haven't fallen off and my e brake works fine. I will check the hangars on my exhaust, though.

Photo from my buddy's car won't be until after he gets back from Bonneville.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #24
poolplayer1

Last year I replaced the Ecable on my 55 ranch wagon and the springs mentioned here are not in the cable routing at all. The exhaust system was replaced quite a few years ago and the way it is installed in the wagon,they are not touching the Ecable at all.Maybe thats why they were not put back in,don't know for sure though.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote