Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Kurt in NJ

Default Headlight performance and midnight drives

After reading about how bright the LED bulbs are I am also curious about their performance in the real world of driving---I measure brightness by how far the headlights light up the road

There is a road that has sections with reflectors, and section that are dark, just telephone poles, I figured landmarks at .1 mile intervals, used modern car with 65 watt halogens, the one mile mark would just show the curve signs dim, nothing on low beam, at .7 mile the reflectors would light up.

With the A, (stock generator, 35 watt direct fit halogens, reflectors with about 80% silvering good) ---at .7 miles the reflectors came "on" dimly, at .5 the layout of the curve was evident, at .3 the signs are bright, in the dark area I could count 3 telephone poles ahead in a forested area

I feel confident driving 50 at night

I have had these halogens installed for 20 years, the gernerator at 14 amps that long, I don't worry about "saving" the generater, it was last rebuilt 45 years ago

So my question is---How well do your lights work???, I would like to know the performance of different setups using similar observations ----or input on a standard method to compare headlight performance without using "they look brighter when I look at them" ---mine look dim yellow except when in the focused beam

The car always runs better at midnight
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Headlight performance and midnight drives

The best way is to for you to buy some LEDs and judge for yourself. Otherwise it is all opinion, the Barn is full of threads of this long ongoing discussion. You could buy the inexpensive $7 dollar ones, or the more recent $30 Logo Lites or ones from this place.

www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com

Seems you already have some results. What is acceptable is subjective. Same with judging the results.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote