Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
BashawT

Default Started after 3 years

I got my starter and generator back from Tom Wesenberg this weekend and was finally able to start my engine! At first it was overheating a bit but I made the cardboard hood to help the fan suck air through the radiator. This really helped and now it holding temperature around 170 degrees.

Here's a picture of the garage when I first got it started. I was in the smoke for a good ten minutes until I was about to pass out. I stepped out of the garage to see all of the neighbors outside thinking the garage was on fire. With a smile I waved and told them everything was JUST fine!

After all of the oil burnt out of it I took this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CqoLupqTKA

I started this restoration about 3 years ago and I have had a blast with it! My Grandpa bought this car for 20 bucks when he was 20 years old and has had it until he passed it on to me a few years ago. He always wanted to restore it but never had the time or money to do so. I remember seeing it in the garage with junk piled all over it my entire childhood. I know he is really enjoying seeing the transformation and I am very grateful he is around to see it.

Big THANKS to Tom Wesenberg, James Rogers, and everyone else who has helped me so far along the way!

Enjoy!
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Maclab58

Default Re: Started after 3 years

Very cool! I remember when i fired up my sport coupe for the first time after a 13 year slumber. What a feeling!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
TinCup

Way to go! Don't rely on that temp gauge too much. Buy yourself an inexpensive infrared gun. We have seen these vary 10-30 degrees or more.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
BashawT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
Way to go! Don't rely on that temp gauge too much. Buy yourself an inexpensive infrared gun. We have seen these vary 10-30 degrees or more.
Thanks! I actually have one and that is what I've been using to keep more accurate readings. Just have the temp gauge to put in the cab in the future.
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote