Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
henry's 31

Default Hemmings MOdel A Calendar

Yesterday I received my 2022 Hemmings Model A Calendar. Before I ordered it I sent an email to their Customer Service asking them why the name was changed to "Model A and Vintage Fords". Never received an answer. I still ordered it. While I love all years of models of Fords in particular early fords, I have collected the calendar since they started it. I was disappointed to open the 2022 calendar and only see 2 Model A's. Unless they changed the format, this will probably be the last year I purchase the calendar.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Joop

Default Re: Hemmings MOdel A Calendar

So sad to hear
I talked to them if they needed cars for the calendar as I had done in previous years. They told me that Hemming’s has a lot of never published photo’s but had decided to go a different way.

Henry’s31 which Model A cars are on the 2022

Last edited by Joop; 10-21-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
henry's 31

There is a Coupe and a Speedster.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
Anteek29

WHAT? Only 2 Model A pics in what is supposed to be a calendar dedicated to Model A's?
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
henry's 31

No longer dedicated to the Model A. They call it Model A & Vintage Fords".
Old 10-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #6
McMimmcs

I have also purchased my last Hemmings calendar! Nothing wrong with later model Fords but I bought the calendar because it was Model A Fords.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Bob-A

Smile Re: Hemmings MOdel A Calendar

I'm dropping my subscription to Hemming's. Nothing in it really anymore that I'm interested in: late 20's, early 30's autos. I can remember getting the latest HMN back in the mid 60's. Now that was something to look forward to!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
mhsprecher

Maybe they made a dumb decision, but maybe they weren't selling enough of them? As a rational person, that is what I think. Maybe they aren't rational.

I always bought their Abandoned Vehicle calendar, in spite of the cost and shipping. It's not so interesting any more, so I quit that. I could have picked one up at Hershey and saved shipping, but I chose not to.

We are probably a shrinking demographic, unfortunately.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
Gene F

The thing ends up costing $21 now. My wife and I discussed me not getting one for Christmas this year. Sounds like we made the right choice.

I called a few months back to renew my subscription. I asked to add the on-line subscription too this time. Didn't happen. Guess there was no comission in adding that, who knows. Was supposed to be done, and wasn't. I tried to log in the other day - nope. Poor customer service, poor IT, another company that does not do what they say they are going to do. Whatever their excuse is I am not interested in it. They will be almost nothing soon. just like so many before them.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
JOHN CT

When I go to Hershey in October. I’ve been staying in the same hotel as the Hemmings employees. I don’t want to bash them here it not the place, but I wouldn’t take a calendar from them if they gave it to me!!
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
ronn

I'm dropping my subscription to Hemming's. Nothing in it really anymore that I'm interested in: late 20's, early 30's autos. I can remember getting the latest HMN back in the mid 60's. Now that was something to look forward to!

ditto Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #12
77Birdman

I have subscribed to multiple hemmings publications. I usually re-up at Carlisle. They were conspicuously absent in the spring. I did find their booth at Hershey and was planning on renewing for another couple of years. They flat out told me they were NOT taking subscriptions! I was quite surprised. In my business I am glad to take other peoples money.
Is the writing on the wall?
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
marty in Ohio

I've subscribed to Hemmings for years and have dropped them a couple times. Well, this year they sent me a deal of $20 for 12 issues. That's the cheapest I've seen recently, so I sent my check. For $1.67 a month I thought "what the heck." Really not much in it though.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #14
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
I've subscribed to Hemmings for years and have dropped them a couple times. Well, this year they sent me a deal of $20 for 12 issues. That's the cheapest I've seen recently, so I sent my check. For $1.67 a month I thought "what the heck." Really not much in it though.
Marty
If not much in it, was it really a deal?
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post

Bob-A
Same here. The 2022 calendar is definitely my last one. Never again.

I plan on dropping HMN when it expires too as others have said there really isn't much in it anymore. If you take out the ads for the dealers and the auction cars there REALLY isn't much in it at all. I used to like Hemmings Classic Cars but now they are including foreign cars which I have absolutely no interest in at all, so that is going by the way side too.

You can go online and look at Mecum's website and if their is a car you are interested in, there will be a dozen photos of it, and you can make it fit full size on your desktop. That is more fun to see than a 1 1/2" picture in HMN.

There really aren't very many private sellers in there anymore.

A guy I know locally, just listed his '30 Coupe for sale this past Monday on some sort of FB selling page, for free, and it sold last nite (Wednesday). Why bother with an HMN ad????? Sold in two days. He was happy. Buyer was happy. And no charge.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #16
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
We are probably a shrinking demographic, unfortunately.
The number of restorable Model A's has got to be pretty small these days, so the number of running, or restored A's is a number that probably won't get any bigger. Anyone have an estimate of just how many running Model A's are in existence? As a wild guess, I'd say there are less than 10,000.

That is the number that will determine the demographic, and sorry to say that the great majority of those who own and drive Model A's, are old codgers like me! The demographic is shrinking because we are dying off.

I have one son that seems to have an interest in my Model A......but, even at that, I suspect he'll just sell it, when I'm gone.....probably to some old guy that outlives me!

Last edited by Eccentric Old Guy; 10-21-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #17
Gene F

"I have one son that seems to have an interest in my Model A......but, even at that, I suspect he'll just sell it, when I'm gone.....probably to some old guy that outlives me!"

Those guys that are hanging on to those Packards, REOs, and some of the other high-end cars that us older guys find desirable are dieing off. Those cars are too expensive to be used for streetrods, and maintaining them, plus their desirability and driveabilty at the higher speeds means they are going to be dwindling. I suspect they mainly will be pushed aside to deteriorate.

One of the guys in our club owned A big Packard, a Brush, and some Model As. A coupl in particular was super nice. He kept the Packard, and the A. That was about 12 years, maybe 15 years ago. I'm sure the Packard is now junk.

The market has changed sure. However, Hemmings is like so many newspapers - trying to make big profits. There are limits, if ya know what I mean.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #18
TerryH

I had recently received in the mail an order form for the 2022 Calendar, which I’ve purchased for many years. Then I noticed the Vintage Ford name, and said that’s it…..not interested any longer.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #19
mshmodela

Yes, an annual present from my wife... There are lots of software out there to print your own calendars or web sites that will do the same. I plan on making my own.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #20
McMimmcs

This suggests we are not as important and outstanding as we thought !