Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
1939mars

Default 39 pickup Cartouche interior

There have been a couple of mentions of interiors for pickups. I now have first hand experience with the Cartouche kit for 38/39 pickups. By and large I am happy with the product and outcome. I've attached some pictures without showing the very front because the garnish molding is not on yet. Will repost when that is in but the windshield seal needs to get replaced first.

It is an original-style cardboard interior. I opted for the original style green color. The material seems a little thinner than what came out (I am not certain if it was original or not). The replacement does not have quite as much texture or black in it but it is nicely finished. It came with two kick panels, two sail panels, two door panels (for the '38) a sewn headliner and the little piece that goes below the window and enough windlace for both sides and hardware. The slightly larger cloth piece below that and a little behind the seat I had to procure separately. Some of the edges were finished. Oddly the edge of the piece below the window was finished on one side. I cut a new piece from the door panels since I did not need them for the '39. The rest of the door panels will be used for sun visors.

The installation went fairly smoothly (first time I've done this). My dad and I did it together - two people is definitely helpful.
Sail panels: The fit of the sail panels could be better around the window, but I have seat belts which change the curvature of the panel a bit, possibly causing it to pull away from the window. There is a push-in retainer hole that is not in the sail panel.
Kick panels: The driver's side kick panel needed a little trimming to fit. The predrilled holes lined up in all but one spot. The very bottom one on the kick panel did not have a hole in the door pillar and it lines up with the screws of the door hinge. I think it is in the wrong place in the kit.
Door panels - I cannot comment on the door panel fit but they were nicely trimmed with cloth.
Headliner and extra sewn-on pieces: The headliner seems to be a about half an inch short front-to-back. I do not yet know how it will look with the garnish molding in place. I have a wave in it that I cannot seem to get out but I do not know if that is me or the kit.
Hardware: The push-in retainers came cream colored. I called Cartouche and they said that is the only color they come in. Noticed after the fact that it says right in the directions that you have to paint them your desired color. I opted for black.

Like I said, overall I am happy with the kit and would recommend it.

-Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4101.jpg (25.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4102.jpg (25.0 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4103.jpg (20.1 KB, 406 views)
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: 39 pickup Cartouche interior

Good review. Glad to hear that it is meeting your expectations.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #3
mercman from oz

Cartouche kit for 38/39 pick-up
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
Mike in Mass

I'm in the same boat with the interior of my 39 . It's nice to here from somebody that has jumped in with the cartouche kit. When labarren & Bonney folded I kicked myself for not getting the kit from them . Are the pieces cardboard or Fiberglass? .. good idea with the 38 door panels to make Sun visors !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
1939mars

They are cardboard
Old 11-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
eric huffman

Well this is exactly what I needed! A solid review and very helpful. Thank you so much for this. I would love to see more pictures and that's a great idea for the visor. I only have a single one in my truck. Keep us all up to date please!
eric huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #7
1941Pony

Looks really nice. Like the addition of the shoulder straps too.
1941Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
mhsprecher

I'd like to know how you installed the shoulder harness.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #9
1939mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I'd like to know how you installed the shoulder harness.
I should have taken pictures of that while it was out too. Unfortunately all I can provide is a written description unless I find my drawings for the piece parts. The sheet metal that is there is way too flimsy to hold in a crash so I made a box section long enough to pick up the two reinforcing members that run above and below the rear window (and around to the rear of the door). The box reacting against those reinforcements is what provides the load bearing. The piece is made of 4 strips welded together and is about a foot long x 2 in wide by 1/2 in deep. The reinforced nut to hold the strap is welded inside the box. It is all 16 gauge steel because that is what I had laying around. It floats back there so the only alignment is the bolt. I did not want anything welded in place so it could be put back to stock if desired and I thought getting everything straight enough to thread in the bolt once welded in was probably beyond my skill. As it was getting it in was hard enough!

Thankfully it has never been tested 'in anger' but I think that the whole cab would have to deform for it to move a lot, in which case it probably would not be a survivable crash anyway.