Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
mngreen

Default Re: Leaking coil

Another satisfied customer here....

Used the #40611 EPOXY (3.0 OHM) for my 12V system. Combined with W18 Champion plugs and a Model B distributor cam (from Stipe) on my otherwise stock setup, my cold start-ups are almost instantaneous! Lowered my idle speed also.

Like Purdy says, these coils get hot while running. They are internally resisted so the heat needs to dissipate somewhere. No problem!
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

"MAYBE" oil filled coils have a minute vent???
An old 12 volt Dodge P.U. DIED on a friend of mine. He mistakenly put on a 6 volt, oil filled coil, it had spark that would curl your hair! Three days later, it EXPLODED like a grenade with copper fuzz & oil EVERYWHERE! Sounds like something I might have done when I worked in a Wreckin' Yard, except, there were NO 12 VOLT cars then.
Bill W.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

A ballast resister may have helped. In most cases a six volt coil on 12 volts without a resistor would would burn the points. I hope he wasn't standing over it when it happened !!! just don''t know. Yer brother Purdy.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Purdy, he didn't even know what a resistor was?? He just grabbed an old, unknown coil & poked it on! It blew up while he was driving & blew SO much smoke, he thought it was AFIRE!
OH! just loaned my 1/8" meat cleaver wedges to a new friend to get the head off a Smith's Compressor, popped right off! Ron's been drilling & soaking studs for a week! He's building a speedster. I tole him to use Walmart multi-grade oel!
Bill W.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Purdy, he didn't even know what a resistor was?? He just grabbed an old, unknown coil & poked it on! It blew up while he was driving & blew SO much smoke, he thought it was AFIRE!
OH! just loaned my 1/8" meat cleaver wedges to a new friend to get the head off a Smith's Compressor, popped right off! Ron's been drilling & soaking studs for a week! He's building a speedster. I tole him to use Walmart multi-grade oel!
Bill W.
Yo Bill,
I'm glad it wasn't on far !!! I had one of my model A's burn in the driveway back in 62 but I managed to bring it back to life. A leaking gasket on the glass type sediment bowl caused the far .

The Walmart multi grade works good fer me, its actually Mobil . Why pay more when you ain't gotta ?

Yer brother, Purdy S.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #26
Patrick L.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Looking at the Summit Racing on-line catalog.
They have the Petronix 40111 coil for $36.95[?] with free shipping.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Thats a good deal!!! I paid over forty dollars in 05 from Eastwood plus shipping.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #28
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Thats a good deal!!! I paid over forty dollars in 05 from Eastwood plus shipping.

I kinda thought so too, so I figured I would post it. But, the price was 36.97 and not the 36.95 I posted.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #29
Purdy Swoft

Thats close enough!!! Still a great price. Thanks for posting the info, I'll probably buy my next coil from them.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #30
fiddlybits

Had a 40111 flamethrower on shelf andnever thought to put it on the A.

Well, just got back from 40 mile test drive and the car is 5 my faster. On the two stretches of straight flat road that I use the GPS would average 58 mph for a combine run in both directions but withe the flamethrower it averaged 66. (Full throttle, full advance, wireless lower, stock point and condenser. 0.035, 0.025, 0.020)

Even the idle is smoother.

Last edited by fiddlybits; 08-09-2014 at 08:50 PM.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #31
Roadster Rich

I am in need of a new coil. This flamethrower sounds like a smart move. Right now I am using an electronic distributor, but plan to rebuild my original sometime. Can I buy the 40111 at 40,000 volts and use with the electronic ingnition, or should I buy the 45,000 volt one, and then change when I get the distributor rebuilt?
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #32
Purdy Swoft

I don't know, because I only have experience with the 40.000 volt coils. It would be best to first call and ask the guys at Pertronix.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #33
Purdy Swoft

Another advantage of the Flame thrower coil is that more complete burning of the fuel in the combustion chamber, not only results in more power that you can feel but you don't get raw gas in the muffler that can sometimes go off like a cannon , seconds after the switch is cut off. My roadster, even with two carburetors has never backfired after shut off.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #34
Patrick L.

It only takes what it takes/needs. Most older coils are good for about 20,000v which is just fine for most occasions. These engines will use maybe 16-18K under most hard conditions. I have a feeling that many of these old worn out coils may have a hard time putting out what is needed or 16,17K, and, some of them may have oil in them that just hasn't decided to fall out yet.
That said, I subscribe to the more is better theory. Therefore, I think 40K is more better than a paltry 20K. And, the price ain't bad.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
Y-Blockhead

Be careful which Pertronix coil you get. Some are oil filled, some epoxy.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...nition%20Coils
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
It only takes what it takes/needs. Most older coils are good for about 20,000v which is just fine for most occasions. These engines will use maybe 16-18K under most hard conditions. I have a feeling that many of these old worn out coils may have a hard time putting out what is needed or 16,17K, and, some of them may have oil in them that just hasn't decided to fall out yet.
That said, I subscribe to the more is better theory. Therefore, I think 40K is more better than a paltry 20K. And, the price ain't bad.
I agree that 20.000 volts would be good for most and that is about the rating of the original tar filled slant pole model A coil, even after more than 80 years in most cases. My experience with most replacement oil filled coils is that they will have difficulty jumping a 10.000 volt gap, with my tester if everything in the distributor isn't up to perfect specs. In many cases,even if an oil filled coil isn't leaking, the oil doesn't completely cover the inner windings when the coil is mounted in the usual model A manner. If a person prefers an oil filled coil, the Pertronix oil filled Flame throwers will perform great if mounted with the tower and wire connections pointing upward, it just wont look right.