Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2023, 12:48 PM   #1
RuleHard

Default 53 ford OD issues on issues

So I have a 53 flathead with a 3 on the tree and a Borg Warner r10 OD. Everything worked great until. One day it suddenly dropped out of OD and made a horrible whining noise when the OD was mechanically engaged. I manually disengaged it and drove home normally. I recently removed the trans and with the help of the a YouTube video, a pdf file and many exploded digrams set out to fix it. Well that was cut short by me not being able to separate the OD from the case. I removed the lockout lever pin and the lever will not come all the way out of the case. According to exploded diagram it doesn't look like it can but in instructions it shows it does. Beyond that, with the lockout lever pulled out the 3/4" it will the OD will seperate but not pull out more than 1/4" I've tried to force it but I don't want to damage it. I'm already something inside that caused it to break has jammed up the clutch part into the plantary gears or something and they are jammed together. Not sure what to do from here. Any tips or reading materials would be helpful. I've spend hours digging up info but can find anyone with an issue like this. Everyone seems to simply just pull them apart.
RuleHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:04 PM   #2
Wayne Schuenke

Default Re: 53 ford OD issues on issues

Where are you located? You can always call Vanpelts he is a great guy and will answer any questions you might have.
Wayne Schuenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #3
RuleHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Schuenke View Post
Where are you located? You can always call Vanpelts he is a great guy and will answer any questions you might have.
North Central IL. I plan on calling Monday to get some sort of help.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:27 AM   #4
Mac VP

Mondays are always busy days on the phones but give us a call. I’m going to suggest that you purchase a reprint of the 49-54 transmission service, which covers the OD version very well. You’ve just begun the process and there are other techniques you’re going to need to follow for the rest of the job. We’ve got the reprints in stock to order.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:32 AM   #5
RuleHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Mondays are always busy days on the phones but give us a call. I’m going to suggest that you purchase a reprint of the 49-54 transmission service, which covers the OD version very well. You’ve just begun the process and there are other techniques you’re going to need to follow for the rest of the job. We’ve got the reprints in stock to order.
I should have ordered one from the start but I had found enough different resources online I thought I'd be fine. Turns out I was wrong haha. I will be calling today for sure though.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:20 PM   #6
Don T

The lockout lever does not come out of the case except from the inside. There is a clip that holds the rear bearing and output shaft in the case, this has to be expanded to remove the tailpiece. Do not force it. I would not start on this project unless you have a complete manual and understanding of this thing, particularly since there could be something broken inside AND you have to know that some bearings will fall out as you take it apart. It is a intriguing design and you have to know what you are looking for before you dive into this. Do not ask how I know this.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote