Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
lance leblanc

Default Frame # information

From the research that I am able to understand my 29 Tudor's frame # A2306575A was built in Atlanta. But what other information does the number tell me. Date, Color, body style?
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Frame # information

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance leblanc View Post
From the research that I am able to understand my 29 Tudor's frame # A2306575A was built in Atlanta. But what other information does the number tell me. Date, Color, body style?
The frame number does not tell one where the car or truck was built. That number you are seeing is representative of the engine number on the engine block that was dropped into the chassis upon assembly which could of been any one of the 32 assembly plants throughout the USA.

That number on the engine represents the number of engine built for production and nothing else.

Just where you will find the assembly plant code is on the body and who knows, the body may or may not be the same one that was put on the chassis originally in conjunction with that frame number.

Look at my website under Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes and review the data there. I think that will answer your questions.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
RonC

Were engine numbers recorded at the factory as to what assembly plants they were shipped to?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Were engine numbers recorded at the factory as to what assembly plants they were shipped to?
That is a great question Ron.

I do not believe those records, if at all, survived nor have been found.

I think it is anybodys guess right now if and when the engines that were shipped out to the assembly plants were recorded as to who got what unless there is some absolute hard evidence to prove weather they did or not.

At most, the best for which we can go by to date are original factory and dealership Bill of Sales which would more than likely tell us just where the assembled engine came from within a given vehicle.

All engines were built in Dearborn.

Knowing what the sales area was at the time for most assembly plants, one can perty much assume which dealer vehicles came from which assembly plants.

However there are cases where a dealer brought in a car or truck from another dealer where the dealers belonged to different assembly plant sales areas thus we have a vehicle which, say, was built in Seattle but sold in Portland.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
kwisor

hello
i have the motor and trans out of my 1930 2door and hope to have the body off this weekend where would i find the frame # and should it match the motor # hello pluck i see you are looking for a lionel train set i do not have on but i do have a collection my self that was my gradfathers i ahe 2 392 e and 4 blue comit passanger cars and the 500 searies fright cars standerd gauge and alot of o guage also i just moved and have not had time to rebuild my lay out hope to soon i have a frog that it will be in my last house i had a inclosed gurage and keep it up and running year round
kevin

Last edited by kwisor; 11-13-2012 at 08:02 PM.
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
kwisor

her are some photos of trains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000167.jpg (67.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IM000168.jpg (92.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IM000169.jpg (50.9 KB, 34 views)
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Arlen

Kevin, the Frame number is stamped on the drivers side of the frame, top rail, just in front of where the front door on the car would be. Once the body is off, you can't miss it. The number should match the engine but rarely does. A lot of people just grind off one off the two sets of numbers and restamp it but really it doesn't matter if they match. Once body is back on, you won't ever see frame number again.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
That is a great question Ron.

I do not believe those records, if at all, survived nor have been found.

I think it is anybodys guess right now if and when the engines that were shipped out to the assembly plants were recorded as to who got what unless there is some absolute hard evidence to prove weather they did or not.

At most, the best for which we can go by to date are original factory and dealership Bill of Sales which would more than likely tell us just where the assembled engine came from within a given vehicle.

All engines were built in Dearborn.

Knowing what the sales area was at the time for most assembly plants, one can perty much assume which dealer vehicles came from which assembly plants.

However there are cases where a dealer brought in a car or truck from another dealer where the dealers belonged to different assembly plant sales areas thus we have a vehicle which, say, was built in Seattle but sold in Portland.

Pluck

I would think they must have recorded what was shipped where and also tracked returned defective engines. Anyones guess right now
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote