Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
jmerson

Default 1930 field coil wiring

I have a '30 coupe with a charging problem. I took the generator off and took it apart. The cutout is like new but the coils are fried. Prior to removing the generator I checked the ground and there wasn't any. Rusty connections where it bolts to the block. All that will be taken care of. Got new coils and a few extra parts and am now putting it back together. Needless to say but the wiring was pretty well thrashed so not sure how it should go back together. The coils came wired together. When I was taking the old ones out of the frame, there was one wire that came up through the hole at the cutout and connected to the cutout at the back side at the hole end. The wire from the other coil was down inside of the frame so I don't know where it was attached. I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find any pictures on where every wire should go. To the best of my knowledge, one coil wire goes to the 1st brush holder, the other coil wire goes to the 3rd brush holder. This is where the trail ends. From ordering parts it looks like there should be a wire with a stud that goes up through the hole that comes out near the cutout and the other end goes somewhere? I'm not really stupid, maybe a little ignorant, but I could use a little help.

Thanks for any help finding a good map of where all of the connections should be.

Jim
jmerson is offline   Reply With Quote