Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #1
mshmodela

Default corn based gasoline

I run 100% gasoline in my 31 but this video is interesting

https://youtu.be/F-yDKeya4SU

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #2
jrelliott

Default Re: corn based gasoline

Who do you think was behind the push to go to Ethanol? The corn growers wanted more money for their corn. The Federal government did not tell everyone the amount of pollution that was being generated in converting corn to Ethanol. MN blocked a big Ethanol plant in SE MN because of the pollution to the stream there. Ethanol is bad. Glad someone is putting out this correct information, but what will the effect be? Too much money involved and government cannot or will not admit they were wrong.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
mhsprecher

FWIW, Henry Ford wanted cars to run on ethanol. He was all for supporting the farmer over the oil companies.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
FWIW, Henry Ford wanted cars to run on ethanol. He was all for supporting the farmer over the oil companies.
There is always another side to the story. Plus, the oil companies were very quick to raise the price of gasoline to the maximum even though they probably has 3 to 6 months inventory of crude oil available. Never bet on the oil companies doing the patriotic thing like keeping the price increases to a minimum.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
LeonardS

I’ll continue to use ethanol gas. I have more friends that are farmers than friends that are oil tycoons
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
gdmn852

What ever happened to the monopoly laws ? Oh that’s right THEY now write the laws. I have friends that have “hobby farms “ with older tractors etc. found out quickly ethanol gas was causing problems, much like antique cars. Try to run only ethanol free gas if possible.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
gdmn852

Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey v. United States (1911)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
brito36

My choice is non-ethanol gas. It seems that the ethanol destroys the fuel systems in older cars and motorcycles. I never had problems with regular gasoline.....
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
Fullraceflathead

Here in Missouri the only way that I'm aware of to purchase gasoline without ethanol is to purchase premium gasoline

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #10
Mark-Ia

Been using Ethanol for years without issues, will continue to use it.
Mark-Ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #11
Oldbluoval

Retired from management for large contractor.
I will tell you that ethanol gas wreaks havoc with powered tools.
Generators, chain saws, anything non-diesel does not stand up well with ethanol gas.
Vehicles were another story because they were designed to use it.
But we ran pure gas straight thru.
Wife has a T’Bird and we run 100% gas in it.
Used to be that ethanol worked very negatively on tank sealers. I think POR says ethanol ok with theirs…..dunno

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 03-05-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Non-Ethanol goes in my small engines [ which around here is usually 90/91 octane ]. That fuel once old/stale [ and usually with oil in it] at the end of a season or two goes in the 'A'. Depending on what is inside the carburetor depends on whether it'll like it or not. If a steel needle is used these carburetors don't care. Thru-out the season it gets the cheap stuff. There is no such thing as cheap gas anymore though is there.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #13
LeonardS

Today in Phoenix. Notice, it’s a cash price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9ACE0B24-E21E-4387-9988-F831761F9956.jpg (41.1 KB, 25 views)
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #14
Patrick L.

Yep, its coming. But I won't say who I thank for it. Today I filled the truck at $3.79, but, the way its going up daily, $4.50 shouldn't be far away here.

I'm still a firm believer than corn belongs in our food supply, not part of the food supply of an engine.

Some have said I'm anti-farmer for such a statement. Not at all, I still live in farm country and am as pro-farm as anyone. There is no problem selling corn.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 03-05-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #15
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Who do you think was behind the push to go to Ethanol? The corn growers wanted more money for their corn. The Federal government did not tell everyone the amount of pollution that was being generated in converting corn to Ethanol. MN blocked a big Ethanol plant in SE MN because of the pollution to the stream there. Ethanol is bad. Glad someone is putting out this correct information, but what will the effect be? Too much money involved and government cannot or will not admit they were wrong.

More money and more wrong = battery power!

Realistically fossil fuels are becoming harder (expensive) to extract, bio-fuels are also expensive if self sustainable, solar won't satisfy our demand, and hydro is not good for the fishes. Short of fusion power we will have to figure out how to use less and enjoy more.

Any alcohol based fuel, or additive, acts slightly as an acid and an electrolyte and a polar solvent. Rough on aluminum, dis-similar metals and many rubbers/plastics.

"Pure" gasoline, LOL. "Gasoline" was a trademark (Standard Oil?) blend of mostly alkane distallates. A lot of hexane with some octane and otheranes. There also was a Zerolene and of course Kerosene.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #16
Rodrelic

Moonshine Is lousy gas, only use non eth for mowers and flatheads. Pickup tractors digger has been diesel, just have to be selective about travel for now.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
rotorwrench

It's easy to blame "farmers" as a whole for some of the subsidies plus the use of plant based materials to make ethanol for motor fuel additive. The EPA wanted to go to E85 back when they first started to use more ethanol in the mix. They had to convince the world that man is indeed changing the climate. For every scientist that says man has a large effect on climate change, there is likely a scientist that can debunk the climate models they use to come to that conclusion.

The only "farmers" that have the money to lobby congress are the large corporate agricultural consortiums so don't blame all the mom and pop farmers for this stuff. They are at the mercy of the commodities market & middle men of the agribusiness system of the USA. If corn prices get too high it affects the price of beef, chicken, and pork as well. You can blame the government and the big corporations but don't throw small business farmers into that pile for they have very little sway in the matter.

The government should never have messed with food source materials to make non food materials if there are non food source materials that will do the same thing.

The next major discovery will be a way to contain and convert anti-matter into energy. Until man can figure that out, we are stuck with fossil fuels whether the government likes it or not.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-07-2022 at 09:51 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #18
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It's easy to blame "farmers" as a whole for some of the subsidies plus the use of plant based materials to make ethanol for motor fuel additive. The EPA wanted to go to E85 back when they first started to use more ethanol in the mix. They had to convince the world that man is indeed changing the climate. For every scientist that says man has a large effect on climate change, there is likely a scientist that can debunk the climate models they use to come to that conclusion.

The only "farmers" that have the money to lobby congress are the large corporate agricultural consortiums so don't blame all the mom and pop farmers for this stuff. They are at the mercy of the commodities market & middle men of the agribusiness system of the USA. If corn prices get too high it affects the price of beef, chicken, and pork as well. You can blame the government and the big corporations but don't throw small business farmers into that pile for they have very little sway in the matter.

The government should never have messed with food source materials to make non food materials if there are non food source materials that will do the same thing.

The next major discovery will be a way to contain and convert anti-matter into energy. Until man can figure that out, we are stuck with fossil fuels whether the government likes it or not.

Yep, we have a century worth of crude along the Eastern Slope. That faucet just needs to be turned on again.
It'll take at least a decade before we're ready for 'green' energy. Even though 'green' energy really isn't that 'green'.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #19

My Redmax Dealer will void your warranty if you use lower octane, they say the ethanol does wreak havoc on Landscaping equipment.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #20
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
My Redmax Dealer will void your warranty if you use lower octane, they say the ethanol does wreak havoc on Landscaping equipment.

Yep, it does. If the carburetor internals are metal its OK, but, soft items such as viton tips, diaphragms, etc are ruined by ethanol.