Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Jason in TX

Default Re: Juice brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwansEarlyFord View Post
Why do people say "I can lock up all four wheels" locking up wheels and skidding is not in any way stopping. Once again, the best model a brakes are stock ones set up right.
We aren't saying a slide is safe, but if mechanicals can grip hard enough to "lock up" the wheels, how will hydraulic brakes grip harder, or stronger? The message is more of correctly adjusted hydraulics should have the stopping strength that hydraulic brakes provide.

If the person's mechanical brakes are soft and leave the driver scared if someone pulls out in front of you, and you think hydraulic will improve that, Just reading a book and putting your mechanicals back into spec will improve that, without big expense or modification of the pedals, battery box, spindles, backing plates, brake lines, E-brake, etc....
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
denis4x4

Just as a side note, I suspect that many A's were converted to hydraulics back when you could go to a junk yard for parts and get change from a $100 bill for all the necessary parts.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #23
DesmoDog

Les Andrews' "Model A Mechanics Handbook Vol II" has a section on installing hydraulic brakes.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #24
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Just as a side note, I suspect that many A's were converted to hydraulics back when you could go to a junk yard for parts and get change from a $100 bill for all the necessary parts.
A set of MT brakes is about $3,500 today. Not really small change.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #25
ursus

Quote:
Also during a time when replacement drums and other components were becoming scarce and when the $40 Model-A with scary brakes had become a cliché. A cousin had a 1929 coupe in the early 60's but borrowed the family car on Friday nights because the girlfriend's parents refused to let her ride in the coupe. Hydraulics just made more sense back then.

As for the cost of a V-8 braking system in the 50's and 60's, I heard that a $20 bill would get you the whole assembly at a wrecking yard.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #26
DougVieyra

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
DON'T ! Don't do it. I have heard nothing but bad things (especially in the long term) about the conversion. If you think your driving is such that you need the 'modern' approach to driving your Model A - then sell it and buy a 'NEW' Model A - a SHAY, or the other 1970's-made "Model A's" .

I hate to beat a dead horse to death . . . . . BUT, the stock brakes DO work perfectly fine.

Worst case scenario is that you may have to spend as much time adjusting your mechanical breaks as you will most assuredly spend time solving problems with a Hydraulic set up.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
PO51

Thanks for the info. I'm building a modified model A engine that will have at least twice the HP over stock. Going in a 28 RPU dual downdraft, Mallory distributor. Was looking for more stopping power. Love the mechanical brakes on my stock A's!
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #28
Bob C

Quote:
I was looking in an early 60's Antique Auto Parts in Rosemead CA catalog
and they had a complete hydraulic brake kit for $80.00 also a rebuilt short
block for $135.00.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #29
Jim Brierley

Bottom line is that it is your car and you should do with it what you like! I like hydraulics, especially if you are building a hot engine and will do freeway driving.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote