Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: received engine today

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyb34 View Post
Hi Synchro ,,,for us Aussies can you give us some detail on the extent of your local rebuild on your A engine ,,bearings type ? balanced crank?,,how smooth does it run ,,,how heavy was your camper you towed ?thanks ,,,from Rod,,
The engine has done about six billion miles (Well....???). All cylinders had been sleeved when I got it and it is now out to 20 thou over again. I am running a Burlington crank with new rods all on inserts so an oil filter is a must. The oil pump has been upgraded to feed 25psi to the middle main but all the other bearings are lubricated as per original. The whole lot was balanced and it runs smooth - I sometimes find myself at 50 mph in ordinary top gear without realising it. It has a Mitchell O/D and transmission fitted also (from Keith Eastwood) the motor has a touring cam, 5.5 head and down draft carby from a Holden grey motor. That is a near perfect size.
The camper is a fold out X Trail canvas topped thing on a purpose built trailer (which I am about to sell) weighing in at about 450kg empty. I figure that by the time it is loaded I'd be dragging about 600kg plus what I load into the car. I cruise all day at 80 - 85 kph and over the whole 9,000 miles, the average was about 18 mpg (that's imp gals, 14.5 mpUSgal).
We left Melb and went through Griffith, Cobar, Burke, Cunnamulla, Barcaldine, Winton, Mt Isa, Three Ways, Katherine, Kununurra, Derby Pt Headland, Tom Price, Exmouth, Carnarvon, Geraldton, Perth, Busselton, Albany Esperance, Norseman, Pt Augusta, Renmark, Mildura. That's 9,000 miles with nothing more serious than one of those silly cone (!) head gaskets failing. 1 hour to replace.
With a little preparation, these cars will do amazing things.
Let's hear more stories from members
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
roddyb34

thanks Synchro,,,thats a great description ,,i would really like a smooth running engine and would be happy with 50 mph ,,without the trailer,,,i have a spare engine to dismantle so will start from there ,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #23
waxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Nice looking and like the paint color too ! Black show off the plated stuff more, IMO.
Hm, always wondered how and why Ford chose the green color. I've thought that he probably got a great deal , volume wish, on that color paint
Yep, asked for it to be painted black for the reasons stated by Hardtimes. Might upset the purists.............oh well
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #24
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Yep, asked for it to be painted black for the reasons stated by Hardtimes. Might upset the purists.............oh well
You have the authorization to paint your engine any color you want to
as long as you are paying the bill.

The next owner can paint it green if that is what he wants to do.

I have a red engine in my '32 flathead Hot Rod. Thru the years, I have found Red Engines put out more power than any other color.

JMO

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #25
blgitn

Shiney valve (tappet) covers and a beer can cover for the coil help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
You have the authorization to paint your engine any color you want to
as long as you are paying the bill.

The next owner can paint it green if that is what he wants to do.

I have a red engine in my '32 flathead Hot Rod. Thru the years, I have found Red Engines put out more power than any other color.

JMO

Chris W.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote