Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
ModelAHawaii

Default 1929 Model A Pickup HELP!! No forward or Reverse Gears

Hi,

I'm new to the Model A.

Well I've owned my 29 Model A pickup for about 5 years now. Had a few things go out over the years. I've always been able to figure it out. This time I'm stumped.

One day a few months ago I took out my pickup. On the way home I stopped at a light. After the stop I put it in gear and heard some noise. Then I had no gears (forward or reverse). The kids and I pushed the ol pickup home and into the garage.

I do own all of the Les Anders books etc. Still can't figure it out.

Ive opened the window on the bell housing and the clutch looks fine. The clutch fork moves as it should. I put a magnetic stick in and found one spring. It doesn't appear to be from the the clutch disc but maybe the pressure plate. But I do't think that would cause it not to have any gears.

I opened the transmission. All the gears are fine. No broken teeth at all. How can I tell if the main drive gear shaft or main shaft is broken?

When I run the motor the gears all move but I can't tell if its still engaging from the engine or engaging from the u joints to the rearend.

I can start the pickup and put it into gear and let the clutch out and it won't stall.

I've pulled both rear wheels and the axle keys are both fine.

When I have the pickup rear wheels off the ground I get a slight movement of the right rear wheel but nothing on the left side. When you put the pickup back on the ground no movement at all.

So I don't know if its the clutch, the transmission (main shafts), or the rearend?

Any ideas on how I should proceed.

Keep in mind that I'm in a remote location in the middle of the ocean. Not to many Model A's around. I've always had to figure it out myself.

I did buy the rear spring spreader if I have to pull the rearend to get at the transmission and clutch.

Just wanted to see if there is anything else I can do before pulling the rearend.

Thank you.
ModelAHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote