Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #1
larrys40

Default George DeAngelis

I had one of our local Model T Guys pass this to our Missouri Valley group tonight... from the Model T forum as quoted below... and interesting story as well.

George DeAngelis passed away quietly yesterday.

George's name is not well know in the Model T community. He was much better known in the Model A community, where he did extensive research on how the Model A was built. He was a well known author in his own right.

Each of us in the old Ford hobby owes George a debt of gratitude, because it was George who together with his friend and collaborator Ed Francis took it upon themselves to salvage all of the engineering parts drawings, releases, and other related materials when they were otherwise headed for the dumpster in the early 1980s. The materials they saved include the parts drawings for almost every FMC vehicle from the original Model A through the V8 era, including the Ford Trimotor.

Virtually all of the recent research that Bruce McCalley, John Regan, many others, and myself has been based upon the engineering documents collection that George donated to the Benson Ford Research Center in the later 1990s. Although this collection's official title is Accession 1701, those of us who have worked with this collection fondly refer to it as the George DeAngelis accession.

George was was an excellent machinist as well. All three of the reproduction Ford Quadricycles were built by George. He could legitimately claim that he had built more Quadricycles and had more experience with them than Henry Ford.

One of my favorite memories of George DeAngelis is from about 15 years ago. At that time I was struggling to learn how the Ford Factory Symbol Number (part number) system worked so I could find the documentation for the parts I was researching. Once in frustration I said to George "I don't know how anyone could ever figure out how the system worked!" George's patient response to me was "Well, Trent, If you had been brought up in the system you would know how it worked." While his answer at that time was not particularly satisfying, he was right. I have now spent enough seat time working with the collection at the Benson Ford to know how the factory symbol number system works, and how to find the records on the parts I am interested in.

We are diminished.

Tearfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

I met George back in the 80's at one of the Dearborn meets. He was very cordial to me as a young guy in my 20's then, and has done an enormous amount of good to the Model A Community.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: George DeAngelis

Sure sorry to hear of George's passing. Wish I could have met him.

Thanks for posting. I was only aware of one reproduction Quadricycle, and didn't know George had built it. It's a perfect example of the finest craftsmen, of which it is now known George was.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
DougVieyra

George DeAngelis, R.I.P.

Another icon passes. The Pantheon of Model A greats, with members like Victor Page, Murray Fahnstock grows stronger, while we now look to others to carry on.

- Doug Vieyra
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
Roadster62

Very sad news, thoughts and prayers going out to his family and friends. I meet him several times at the AACA Annual Meetin Phidelphia. We shared an interest in Ford Speed Equipment. I wonder if he ever got his single seater restored. Bob
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Yes very sad news. I always wanted to get his plans for the quadracycle.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

It is indeed very, very sad that another true authority has passed. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Our hobby was truly fortunate to have him working for us and on our behalf. RIP kind sir !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
Joe K

We are but custodians - of EVERYTHING.

Some of us bring a special ability to our custodianship. George was doubtless one of these.

Yes. We are bereft, but better off for George having been.

Thank you George. I am sure you are now in the care of the original Custodian.

Joe K
Old 12-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I agree Larry, he was a super asset to the hobby that most will never truly know just what kind of impact he made. To loosely quote Ken Ehrehofer , this hobby has lost far too many icons here lately. RIP George.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
Roger V

Sad to hear. I met George back when I first got into Model A's. He was an icon way back then! Back around 1979-1980 he came to my house in Monroe to take pictures of my 1930 pickup for the Model A News cover. From that point on I looked forward to chatting with him at national meets.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I agree Larry, he was a super asset to the hobby that most will never truly know just what kind of impact he made. To loosely quote Ken Ehrehofer , this hobby has lost far too many icons here lately. RIP George.

I feel very blessed to have stumbled into our local group at a young age... and have met some of these great men.... We all admire the well restored car, and covet our acquired treasures over the years. Much larger than that.. are the people behind who are part of our great Model A community. I have been blessed to have met a number of them, like George, Paul Moller, my since past mentor and friend Terry Oberer, Nick Markes, and more.
If it wasn't for George we most certainly wouldn't have the preservation of much of the archive data that is available as I understand it.... He shared his passion and his talents to all. I believe he was editor of the Model A News for 20 years ( Not sure about that but I think close). I'm sure Ken E can confirm that.

I also met Paul Moller at Hershey one year aand again at a national meet or two. As an early V8 fan as well, I was looking at his original set of V8 service bulletins for sale ... I asked how much.... and he said, "I figure I got at least $15 worth of knowledge from them over the years... and I know that you will use them and gain knowledge as well... $15 would be just fine... enjoy them" Of course I snatched them up and still have them today.

Also remember our Membership national in St. Louis in 2005, I had the pleasure of Nick and Mary Markes riding with me on the big tour up the river road. We had a great time.... As Joe says.. we are justcaretakers... it is the mark we leave and the memories that count the most.

I feel grateful to have had unique talents/passion, and friendships that have made life great. Just as George passed it along... it is our job to do the same and carry the torch so to speak.
Godspeed and RIP George!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Clem Clement

Rest in peace brother George. I met him once when he spoke to our club. An irreplaceable asset tour Model A world.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
Slotblog

George DeAngelis is a giant of the old car hobby. His impact simply cannot be measured.

RIP, George!
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
newshirt

Here's a book on my desk that took four months to read. Every line... every photo... every chart... and illustration. I'm sure you all have it.

Being a newbie, the name is unfamiliar. But the work he left behind is priceless.

I think I'll read it again this year. RIP, George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GeorgeDeAngelis.jpg (42.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
barnstuf

My condolences to the DeAngeles family on their loss of a fine man who made many contributions to advance our hobby. I never met him personally although in later years I was told he had attended the first National MARC meet in Dearborn in 1955, which I also attended. By todays standards it was a small meet. In the July-August 2014 Model A News magazine George and I shared 60 year MARC membership, leading the list of MARC membership Anniversaries, which I feel was an honor. Farewell George!
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Sorry to hear of this. Good thing, he did die peacefully that's a plus.

Larry, being a former Ford Parts Manager I will tell you that Ford's parts numbering and service engineering numbering system is the best around; makes perfect sense well thought out.

NOW, GM and Chrysler what a nightmare, always felt sorry for those guys not a good system
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
bikejunk

When I decided to bite the bullet and get an A his book was the first book I had seen on the subject now feel lucky to have started on the right foot.

thank you Mr. DeAngelis RIP
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #17
al's28/33

Condolences to his family and friends and thanks to him for sharing all his experience and knowledge with us!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

His book, no doubt is one of the best . He lived a long life . Sorry to hear of his passing .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #19
juke joint johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Here's a book on my desk that took four months to read. Every line... every photo... every chart... and illustration. I'm sure you all have it.

Being a newbie, the name is unfamiliar. But the work he left behind is priceless.

I think I'll read it again this year. RIP, George.

This was the first Real Model A Book I bought over 40 years ago.

Still Unbeatable for all the information contained within and all the Factory photographs.I recomend to everyone interested in the Model A

Thank You George for all your Good Work R.I.P.
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #20
Dodge

Thanks Trent for passing on the news. I like the Model A book George worked on so much
I buy up all the copies I can and pass them out to newbies and soon to be newbies.
And thank you Sir for all you've done for this hobby as well...

Sadly,

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote