Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
RickMcK

Default Garage Propane heater use?

So my 36 pick up is in a 10 ft by 25ft garage with the last 8ft sloping down above 5 inches, and loose fitting swinging doors (rear of truck at the swinging doors). Gasoline is heavy and sinks to the floor. This is why building codes require heaters to be 12-16 inches above the floor.

What's your opinion on using a catalytic propane heater in the space? I don't want to go BOOM due to the potential of gasoline fumes. The tank filler cap is below the level of heater element, (which is good) but the carburetor is 1ft+ above the element.

I can open the door or a window opposite from the swinging doors to provide the potential for some draft along the floor towards the swinging doors.

Any suggestions advice?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
RickMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
Bill OH

Default Re: Garage Propane heater use?

Rick: Propane is heavier than air and so is gasoline. How about electric? Bill
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Bill OH

Rick: I had a natural gas tank heater in my garage and I put electric in its place to avoid the risk of gasoline fumes from the car. Propane and gasoline are heavier than air and something to avoid. Bill
Old 12-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
RickMcK

Bill thanks for the prompt response and advice. That's what I was afraid of. The only electric heater I have a stand up oil filled radiator type. I think this will work but probably won't put out enough heat to (only 1500W),but I will try it.

RickMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
Tmusk

FYI - electric baseboard heater strips are really cheap and easy to install but require 220 VAC to be effective.
Tmusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Bill OH

Rick: How about an electric radiant heater - very effective to keep your backside warm!!!! Bill
Old 12-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

Rick, be patient. It doesn't get this cold or stay for very long here. I have lived here all my life. My 24 x 32 insulated workspace is heated by an electric "furnace" that fits between studs. It is however a 220 device but since I have MIG,TIG,plasma cutter, air compressor etc my work area has 220 in the walls. Heats it up pretty quickly to a good working temp (60).
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Vics Stuff

I would not use a catalytic heater in a space that is not well ventilated. Plus with the gasoline in the mix will be asking for problems.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #9
Bursonaw

In my town, the local fire department has been very helpful with these types of concerns. They would much rather be proactive than reactive. A call to your local fire department might yield some good intel on what works best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
tubman

I hate to be the one to say it, but there seem to be other problems to be solved before lack of heat.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMcK View Post
Bill thanks for the prompt response and advice. That's what I was afraid of. The only electric heater I have a stand up oil filled radiator type. I think this will work but probably won't put out enough heat to (only 1500W),but I will try it.

Keep in mind that 1500W is about the best that Momma's hair dryer will do on "get-it"! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
tubman

If you have a welder outlet, try one of these; 5000 watts and 18,500 BTU : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I have one in my insulated 1200 sq ft shop in Minnesota and it works great. I usually winter in Florida, so I only bought it to ward off the chill in the spring and fall. I had to spend the winter of 2017/2018 in Minnesota, and was able to keep it at over 60 all winter (electricity is included in my maintenance fee). The best $130 I ever spent.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
paul2748

I've used a propane fired can style construction heater for 40 years without any problems. Garage doors are not really good and tight but garage is mostly insulated. Open flame, not a radiant/catalytic type.

Never had a gas smell in my garage unless I totally fill the tank, which I don't do.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #14
Oldbluoval

I have both propane and electric in different sections of my shop; both Modine. I recommend Modine highly. The propane is 100k btu; electric is 37k btu. Both shops about 12k cubic feet.
The propane was put in first. I think the electric would have been sufficient for either…one in each shop.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #15
Jacques1960

I’ve always had a good experience with Toyotomi diesel-fired “Laser” space heaters
Old 12-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
Oldbluoval

My propane is vented out but has a pilot lite. I don’t let a lot of overspray in the area.
“Torpedo” type heaters with even minimal fumes gives me a headache.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:36 AM   #17
aussie merc

gee wizz propane heater and petrol fumes what could possibly go wrong
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:01 AM   #18
Mac VP

If you’re going to have gasoline in the building, don’t run a heater with a flame, and that includes any propane or natural gas fired radiant heaters. You can’t anticipate when the gasoline might leak from whatever storage container it’s in (and that includes a vehicle gas tank). If gasoline must be in the room, stay with electric heat. If f you can remove the gasoline from your building, there are many other heating options besides electric. If there’s no gasoline in the room, non vented gas fired heaters can still present a problem for carbon monoxide buildup unless you have a lot of air leakage around doors and windows.

Any electric heater that runs on 115 volts (which uses about 1500 watts of electric) will never create more than about 5000 btu of heat. This means you can run just one per circuit. This generally means one or two 115 volt units in the room depending on how many 115V circuits (not outlets) that are wired to the room. Even if those are 20 amp circuits, it doesn’t leave much juice to run anything else if the heater is running. Lastly, a low surface temperature heater (no red hot elements and plenty of moving air) are safer for the shop environment. Stay away from a heater that can be tipped over easily or doesn’t have a tip over switch. Straight electric heat is generally much safer for the shop but will be more expensive to operate. Not a bad trade off to keep your cars and stuff safer….not to mention the building itself.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #19
32phil

I've had hot water baseboard heat in my shop for 20+ years. My shop is basically the basement of my house. About 1000 sq.ft. ceiling is insulated and the 14ft garage door.
Uninsulated block walls front and one side above grade, 2 walls below grade.
It never really warmed up that well and I didn't bother when it was below 30 degrees outside.
I had a heating survey done and was told I had exactly half the heating capacity I needed. I had a HVAC Mini Split installed to make up the difference.
In the summer I can't put it on just dehumidify. It certainly dries any moisture but drops the temp to 65. Too cold for this old man! I set it on AC low fan and 70.
As far heat is concerned, I put the hot water baseboard at 70 and the mini split at 70.
I just went into the shop and it's 57, no heat of any kind since yesterday at 4:00.
I'll give it an hour or so and it should be warm enough.
If its below 20 outside I don't bother.
Cost wise Cooling is almost nothing as it's a naturally cool area. Heating bumps the electric bill some but not too bad and I only use it in November and December.
I'm outta here January till April so everything is off. It doesn't go below 40 45 in the shop with the heat off even on the coldest days.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #20
uncle buck

another problem with propane jet heaters is the moisture they produce can create rust issues
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote