Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Blue Ribbon Restorations

I enjoy seeing the Fine Point cars, and admire the folks that go down that route and do them.

That is one aspect of the Model A News that I really enjoy; closely examining the photos of all sorts of angles and various parts on Fine Point cars.

Ken Ehrenhofer photographs them at the meets, and does a great job.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #22
31Tudor

I am working on a 28 closed cab pickup
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #23
daren007

I will walk by “Restorations” all day long to see a “Survivor”.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #24
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito-A View Post
Chris, what are you working on? How far along is it?
Incognito,

I am working on a '31 Deluxe Roadster. I am down to finishing attaching the rear fenders, finishing the wheels and tires, finish chroming the windshield frame and bumpers. The rest of the car is all finished.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:16 PM   #25
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
I also enjoy looking at "Survivor" cars, you can learn a lot from them.

Fine Point Restorations are not for everyone and I would not recommend someone starting down this road unless they really know what they are getting into and what they will have when they are finished. I now have a lot more appreciation of the work and dedication that goes into a Fine Point Restoration.

The car I started with had no redeeming value as a survivor so it was a good candidate for restoration. The first car I restored when in college, over 60 years ago, was a '31 Deluxe Roadster. I am now 83 and I guess I am re-living my childhood. I bought the beginnings of this project in 1967 and have been collecting parts for it sense then. I started the actual restoration about 2 1/2 years ago. When I turned 80, I said I either should sell this project or get on with the restoration.

I have other Model A's that I use for touring and such and would never recommend someone restore a fine point car and have it as as their only Model A. They would be paranoid about getting it out and getting it dirty and not be able to enjoy it.

For the most part, Model A's are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 11-15-2021 at 11:21 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #26
nkaminar

I am NOT working on a FP car. Not enough money or time or knowledge or equipment or room. Last night I drove my Fordor to class. Last weekend I drove it the 88 miles round trip to Sparta over mountain roads. Point is, I enjoy driving my car too much to be afraid of getting it dirty. I will probably wash and wax it today.

I appreciate the effort that goes into a total restoration of a Model A and the historic value. But it is not for me.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #27
77Birdman

The beauty of this hobby is that there are many different ways to enjoy your car. Some get that enjoyment from simply driving, some restoring whether it be for a concours or cruise night.
I too enjoy seeing a well preserved original looking car as much as one that has been fully restored. To each his own.
And yes, when restoring to perfection the smallest detail will make a difference. I had a motorcycle (1913 vintage) that was perfectly restored and had won multiple concours events, when finally judged for points there was a deduction for the wrong sparkplug! Kind of an obvious oversight, but the newer one installed so the motor would run.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:08 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Both of those terms are often WAY misunderstood, ...and generally misused from my experiences!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #29
Stretch Cab

I don't know when the "fine-point" restorations started for the Model A's but I think it is a very good thing for the hobby. Of course most enthusiasts are not going to go in that direction but it does create a community that strives to preserve and add to our knowledge of the Model A as it was originally built.
My dad and I restored my early 30 Rdst. PU in the early 70's striving for a "Senior" award under the AACA guidelines. I think that was what they called their top award. We worked very hard and were awarded the junior and senior awards.
I look at the truck today and compare it to what the "Fine-Point" people are ending up with and my truck when finished was no where near as good a restoration to original as what is possible today. My hat is off to the "Fine-Point" restorers, you are doing a real service for us by increasing our knowledge of the Model A.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #30
daren007

I have always thought the worst thing for the hobby is awards. The poor kid who put hours into his car and is proud of his work goes up against someone’s car that that person never touched. Just wrote checks. Always felt sorry for these kids. Never a level field. Once again restorations have absolutely no interest in me. All history has been removed from that car.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #31
aermotor

Like I said before the friendships made during a personal restoration are far more value to me than the passing of big dollars, To me it's a hobby and not a business, however I have nothing against businesses as we are all involved in one some way or another in order to eat. A hobby is a hobby and some of us are not rich but still enjoy our hobby.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #32
figment

When entering a car in fine point the car is not judged against any other car entered . Your car is judged against the Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines 23 categories . Each category is assigned a number of points that total 500 . I don't think anyone has received 500 but some came Very close . If someone has received 500 points in Fine Point please correct me .
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #33
Gary Karr

I have restored two Mode A's for fine point and as I look at it, besides driving and touring in them, for me, it is all equally fun researching and restoring them. To each his own as this is truly a big hobby with lots of cars out there.

I don't agree with the statement that there were more fine point restorations in the 90's as there ate today. The MARC National Meet in Oshkosh this past June had 18 cars signed up for fine point judging with 17 being judged as one didn't make it because of a tow vehicle issue. Out of the 17 judged, 7 were awarded "Henry Awards" which means they received a minimum of 480 points out of 500.

For me, I'm not sure if I will tackle another fine point restoration although I have enough sheet metal and parts to easily do my 29 OCPU. For now, I am working on other's cars, one that I finished for the Oshkosh Meet, a very early 28 Sport Coupe. That was a really fun project as it was so early (101st production car) everything was different than what we're used to seeing. I'm currently updating a Model A that had been shown years ago but never reached the "Henry" quality. After that, who knows. I've been bit by the early 28 bug so I may do yet another one.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #34
Incognito-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I don't agree with the statement that there were more fine point restorations in the 90's as there ate today. The MARC National Meet in Oshkosh this past June had 18 cars signed up for fine point judging...
Gary, thank you for the perspective. I guess those individuals are not on this forum or shy to respond?

I was hoping that people would share their CURRENT projects NOT debate the merits/process of judging
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito-A View Post
Gary, thank you for the perspective. I guess those individuals are not on this forum or shy to respond?

I was hoping that people would share their CURRENT projects NOT debate the merits/process of judging
Please understand this is often a touchy subject for some because fine-point restorers are often ridiculed. That in of itself is a great reason not to respond for most. Over many years here I have found that most people within the circles of authentic restorations communicate and network with others on a frequent basis outside of a forum setting.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #36
Incognito-A

Brent, thank you for your input, it is always appreciated.

I am one of the FP nuts and have been through multiple restorations of FP vehicles, Model A and others, for myself, friends, and sometimes customers.

Currently I do not own a Model A but will buy when the right one comes along. Until then I’m collecting the usual common parts as I know what I want will be a late ‘31.

Anyone who doesn’t want to post, PM me, I want to hear from fellow nuts.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #37
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Mine was a 31 slant ws town sedan.
I later sold the car and it got front page photo on either News or Restorer many years back.
I did not own that car at the time. It’s up east somewhere as it changed hands several times after I sold it. When I got the car out of NM, it had worn out leather interior. Not knowing better, and it was far from useable, I jerked it out. Later found out that was a rare late option!!
Editorial..the 31 SW sedan is the best A Henry built!!
Amen on the 31 SW’s.....✔️
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote