Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #41
Dick Carne

Default Re: Model A Town Car?

Hi Ronn - With reference to the 1930 Town Car being discussed, I believe that there is a third one out there somewhere. Back in the 1960's and early 1970's Wendell Townsend of Atlanta restored a 1930 model; this was a different car from the one that Wayne Carini's father had that was shown on one of his episodes on "Chasing Classic Cars". Then with this old gentleman, this would make three. Wendell sold his Town Car back in the late 1970's as I recall, but he had owned it for years and restored it (after having caught on fire) years ago. I have no idea where any of these cars are now, but this would suggest a third one out there.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:49 PM   #42
Bob Johnson

"I do believe I saw that there was one referred to as «the pelican» because it had been modified with a very long visor. I could not readily identify any of the cars in the 1987 article as being that car. So perhaps that means there is one more "

The "pelican" is the one owned by Bill Jones in the 1987 Restorer.

There is also one in South America and a Dutch one recently sold in a huge auction.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:28 AM   #43
Brad in Germany

Bob,

Here is the "Dutch one" that I believe you are referring to, which used to be in the huge Den Hartogh Ford Museum in the Netherlands before they sold everything at auction:

Here is the link to that auction lot from the Bonhams Auction of the museum contents....including lots more photos of the inside of that car as well: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25077/lot/235/

It sold in that auction for $26,045.

I had a chance to get a close look at that car while I had a Model A in storage in their upstairs private warehouse. It used to be a Fordor and is very "creatively done".

It is now in a private collection in Germany.

Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_21bd.jpg (78.0 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3403.jpg (73.8 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 03-16-2021 at 02:41 AM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:18 AM   #44
ronn

thank you Dick. good information.

Yes I remember the one above selling and the back top is incorrectly shaped.
still a nice looking car, but wouldnt put much value on it.
With that said- I sure wouldnt mind owning it!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:09 AM   #45
eystein

Here is the article about "the pelican".

Never heard of the one in South America. Would be nice to know more about that one, if you are at liberty to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
"I do believe I saw that there was one referred to as «the pelican» because it had been modified with a very long visor. I could not readily identify any of the cars in the 1987 article as being that car. So perhaps that means there is one more "

The "pelican" is the one owned by Bill Jones in the 1987 Restorer.

There is also one in South America and a Dutch one recently sold in a huge auction.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img019.pdf (1.07 MB, 35 views)
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:31 AM   #46
eystein

As you say, Brad, it is only a modified town sedan. I visited the museum just before it closed, and it was an OK way to spend a day, but I suspect that I would have enjoyed it more if I had known less about A's They also claimed to have a TCD, which was nothing more than a chopped up deluxe delivery. Most of the cars had been given 1970s-style "messtorations"

It makes me angry when I see the "expert" from Bonhams writing about the "town car" in the auction catalog "This is an honest and correct version of one of the rarest of all Fords from this period" I am thinking of the poor buyer who perhaps thought that he bought the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
Bob,

Here is the "Dutch one" that I believe you are referring to, which used to be in the huge Den Hartogh Ford Museum in the Netherlands before they sold everything at auction:

Here is the link to that auction lot from the Bonhams Auction of the museum contents....including lots more photos of the inside of that car as well: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25077/lot/235/

I had a chance to get a close look at that car while I had a Model A in storage in their upstairs private warehouse. It used to be a Fordor and is very "creatively done".

It is now in a private collection in Germany.

Brad in Maryland
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:08 AM   #47
mercman from oz

This 1929 Ford Model A Town Sedan is on display at Gilmores Car Museum, Hickory Corners, Michigan. What a beautiful car.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #48
barry022

I don't think so.
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #49
Joop

Maybe this helps

LOT 235
1928 FORD MODEL 140A TOWN CAR
Sold for € 21,850 (US$ 26,058) inc. premium
FOLLOW
Den Hartogh Sale
23 Jun 2018, 11:00 CEST

Hillegom
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #50
todd3131

the price it sold for reflects what it is
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:10 AM   #51
TerryH

Here is the 1929 Model A Town Car from the Lyon Automotive Collection in Southern California.....once owned by the Harrah Collection.
Question: why did this image import as a thumbnail? It is much larger than this normally......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (85.7 KB, 436 views)

Last edited by TerryH; 03-17-2021 at 01:21 AM.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:35 AM   #52
ronn

Terry- when one clicks on it- it becomes larger then life itself.........
Old 03-17-2021, 04:13 AM   #53
mercman from oz

Here is a larger picture of the 1929 Model A Town Car from the Lyon Automotive Collection in Southern California.....once owned by the Harrah Collection. Very nice.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #54
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

Here is a larger picture of the 1929 Model A Town Car from the Lyon Automotive Collection in Southern California.....once owned by the Harrah Collection. Very nice.
Would like to see a rear view of this car- looks rounder it the rear roof edge than other town cars.
Is this just how the photo angle makes it look?
Don't believe Harrah would have had it if it were a clone- he was very particular about correctness.......

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 03-18-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #55
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Would like to see a rear view of this car- looks rounder it the rear roof edge than other town cars. is this just how the photo angle makes it look?
Don't believe Harrah would have had it if it were a clone- he was very particular about correctness.......
I remember making a pilgrimage from the SF Bay Area to Reno (well, Sparks actually) in the late 60s to visit the Harrah's collection. I remember seeing a Town Car, don't remember the details but it could very well have been this one. Boy what a spectacular collection! I recall when that collection was liquidated in the mid-80's after Bill Harrah died, but apparently some of the cars are still in Reno at the National Automobile Museum (I haven't visited that one, has anyone?) Hard to imagine anything like the old Harrah's collection, though. A '29 Station Wagon that I was working on (not mine, regrettably) got sold to Harrah.

There is also a pretty nice car collection in the SF Bay Area at the Blackhawk Museum (in the East Bay). Last time I was there was probably 20+ years ago with my Dad (gone now), I don't remember too many Model A's.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #56
joncrane

My Town Car Story
I was 13 years old and a member of the NJ Model A Club out of Eatontown NJ. It was a MAFCA club. I lived in Pt Pleasant Beach NJ and found a Model A Town Car alongside a shed at Johnson Boat Works in Bay Head, NJ. I tried to buy it buy could not get in touch with the owner etc. I told a club member Herman Oheme from Belmar NJ about the car and he tracked down the owner, made an offer, had to sweeten the offer because the owner had bought four new tires. Mr. Ohem hauled it to his home to restore. The car was owned by someone in the Johnson and Johnson pharmacutical family. Mr. Ohme had restored several cars in the late 50's and early 60's and pretty much knew the the hobby. Nice guy. Mr. Ohme completed the frame restoration but body was very rough. The car had sat between two boat sheds and water ran from the flat roof's down onto the car. Mr. Ohme became sick and before he died he sold the car, his two door and a roadster that was also under restoration. Rumor was the town car sold for the unbelievable sum of $4000! There was something unique with the car as the firewall stamped date was several days BEFORE the Ford introduction of the cars. It must have been one of the first Town Cars. I forget the date and will defer to the Town Car owners. Car went to Staten Island and was never finished. Showed up in Hemmings for sale in the late 70's. Last I heard it had gone to Florida and the restoration was completed.

I bought my first Model A from Mr. Ohme's widow when I was 15. A 1930 Coupe paid $275 for it and it ran fine. Quarter panels were rusted and I played with it until I graduated from High Schools.
joncrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #57
TerryH

Chris——I do have a photo showing the rear.....I will post it later today, as well as an interior shot of the rear seating area.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #58
Brad in Germany

From a 1971 issue of the Restorer:

Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_340e.jpg (60.7 KB, 222 views)
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #59
TerryH

Here are some more photos of the Model A Town Car from the Lyon Collection in Southern California. My wife worked for Gen. Lyon for over 30 years, so I got access to his fabulous collection many times over the years. Besides the Town Car, he also has a Model A Woodie Station Wagon, and a Model A Roadster Pickup Truck. In the 1980's, Gen. Lyon made a huge purchase of many cars from the Harrah collection.....you can google and get more information, but as I remember it, it was over $30 million dollars worth. He was really after a number of wonderful Duesenbergs and other cars. I have no information of the provenance of this Town Car, but am quite sure it is an original and not a created one......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 076.jpg (87.4 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 075.jpg (38.4 KB, 299 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:24 AM   #60
ronn

wow Brad- 10k in 71........... that was a lot of coin.

great story Jon.......... I had the same about two Cords in 1974. one was a superchged phaeton and the other a Westchester.

very cool dreams.......