Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
jeffo

Default Question on paint colors

We are restoring a 1928 tudor sedan. We have a few questions about paint colors. The car will be painted Rockmoss green top and bottom with black belting stripe.

Was the spare tire bracket on the back body color or black?
Was the firewall body color?
Uncovered visor black or green?
Door hinge color? The middle hinge is in line with the black belting stripe.
front window frame black?

I don't think rockmoss was listed as a 28 tudor color, however we are into enough original paint to see that this one was. This car was bought new by my Great Grandpa and my Dad owns it now. My dad had it painted in 58 when he got it but the interior had never been out so the original paint was well preserved. We buffed it out and rockmoss is the only thing close.

Thanks for the help

Jeff
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: Question on paint colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
We are restoring a 1928 tudor sedan. We have a few questions about paint colors. The car will be painted Rockmoss green top and bottom with black belting stripe.

Was the spare tire bracket on the back body color or black?
Was the firewall body color?
Uncovered visor black or green?
Door hinge color? The middle hinge is in line with the black belting stripe.
front window frame black?

I don't think rockmoss was listed as a 28 tudor color, however we are into enough original paint to see that this one was. This car was bought new by my Great Grandpa and my Dad owns it now. My dad had it painted in 58 when he got it but the interior had never been out so the original paint was well preserved. We buffed it out and rockmoss is the only thing close.

Thanks for the help

Jeff
I think you better look at "Dawn Gray Dark" as is was a 1928 color..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Jeff-
How sure are you that it is a 1928? There was a dark green paint combination offered in 1929 (Vagabond Green and Rock Moss Green). If you are finding original paint in the car, perhaps this is what you are finding...

Your questions about the paint are answered in the Restoration Guidelines. They include drawings and tables and things that are not easy to put here. If you want to make the car look good, invest in a copy of this book. It will help you with other areas of the car, too.

MAFCA also sells a "Paint & Finish Guide" that is very helpful with these sorts of questions. You can get a copy in the MAFCA Store:
https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129

It is very cool that you know the history of your car since new.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
jeffo

I went back and looked at the dawn dark gray. Ours is much darker than that. I am positive it is a 28, my great grandfather ordered it and picked it up April of 28 ( have the original bill of sales) We buffed out the original paint and had a paint supplier scan it and they came up with a color so close to rockmoss that you can't tell the difference. I knew it was not a listed paint color.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
700rpm

If you are truly restoring the car, you should use the colors as defined in the judging standards and the paint guide from MAFCA, regardless of what you find elsewhere on the car. If it is a Canadian car it may have a different color than what was specified and available for US made cars. But don't assume that because you found a color under some panel that it is correct or original. In 86 years many things can have happened that changed the originality, even if the car has been in the family the whole time. Also, paint color can change depending on exposure or non-exposure to light or other environmental influences. Jim's suggestions above are good if you're restoring the car.

If you are refurbishing the car, a wholly different approach than a restoration, then paint the car any color that suits you.

You can sometimes establish the manufacture date from a stamping on the firewall on the driver's side above the tank seam.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

If the car is "original", the engine # ought to determine if it's a 28 or 29??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote