Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Replacing tires on stock 16 inch rims

I have a No-Mar changer set up that works fair on most wheels. A lot depends on the type of wheels. I also use it to hold the wheels to use spoons on some. My knees can only take doing it on the floor or on the car for so long. I have the clip on "Extra Hand" tools to hold the bead down so it will go into the drop center without pushing on it. I also use blocks on the narrow rims to hold the bead down. The nylon rim protector strips work well with any type of tire iron or spoon. That and lots of both hand applied and spray bottle applied removal/installation lube in the right places makes the job pretty easy.

The hardest ones I do are the motorcycle wire spoke rims and modern type tires for the HD bikes. They don't have much of a well for the bead to go into and the tubes also add extra caution.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:21 PM   #22
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
What width wheels and what size tires Anthony? Original drums?
Rims r stock ‘35 16” X 4”
Tires r oversize I believe 6” width, is it in the size info on the tire? They r radial 195/75R 16” on front & 215/85R 16”on rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7199E1B3-1F9B-4795-9860-AF5896593CB0.jpg (21.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:44 PM   #23
BobR35

I've got to replace one tube on my '35 and would like to do it myself. I'm only concerned about the challenge to break loose the bead in order to get the tube out. The model A's looked easy on youtube so I'm wondering which way to go.

After reading all the discussion on 16" tire changing I'm wanting to know a few things:

With the spoke wheels, is there an inner strip liner to protect from the spokes?

Then, I've watched youtube videos and saw changing the tire on a model A without removing the wheel from the car. It makes good sense and helps hold the tire in place. Since I only have to do one side to replace the tube. Anyone done this on a '35 etc?
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #24
solidaxle

As far as scratching. Try these. By Motion Pro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motion Pro Rim Shield.jpg (4.1 KB, 18 views)
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:13 PM   #25
slowforty

A LONG time ago I remember my Dad driving over a wheel and tire to beak the bead in the drive way. He made his own tire irons from an old wringer type wash machine. Those Old Guys could do almost anything with anything.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:09 PM   #26
cas3

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You do not need the rubber bands around the rim as Ford spokes are welded with no sharp spots on the inside like a real spoke wheel. Get some good Irons, my favorite are the ones that came with a TT truck tool kit. Use a rim lube, not just soapy water, and some guys break the bead by driving a car over the edge of the tire. I use the bobcat forks
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:22 PM   #27
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Isn't it sad that something as simple as installing a tire has become a "lost art".
That is SO right.

I had a good friend that was USAC national midget champion in 1954. He was racing on what he made at the races so couldn't afford 2 sets of wheels. Every week there were 2 races, one on pavement and one on dirt.
One of his sponsor's was Firestone tires so he had plenty of tires.
He had to change tires twice a week. In those days there was no tire assist service that followed the race circuit like today.
I watched him change tires with nothing more than 2 screw drivers and a ball peen hammer. The wheels were standard Halibrand magnesium midget wheels of the day. He could do all 4 wheels in less than a half hour. If someone handed him tools, it would cut a full minute off the time.
Someone gave him a rubber hammer at Christmas but the season was over by then....
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #28
cas3

I'll correct myself, I DO use soapy water to break down an old tire. Lay the wheel on the ground, pour some soapy water around the bead area, then walk around so your feet bend the tire a bit to allow the water to seep as deep as possible into the bead area. Do it twice maybe even. Sometimes thats all it takes on a larger diameter tire like the A's, and the bead will break free. 16" ers are a bit more of a struggle, but still I believe they are not as snug on the rim as a modern wheel with the safety bead on the rim.

Then on reassembly, use rim lube on the tire, baby powder on the tube, and mount the tires from the back side so no scratches will be on the front. I put a piece of carpet on the floor with new paint and tires. Easy peasy
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:00 AM   #29
Eagle43

I mounted the 15" tires on my 52 F1 by hand on the floor on a blanket and was surprised to find how easy it was. First time I had ever tried it. If I were to do it again I would throw in bags of beads while mounting the tires to take care of the balancing. I had to put the beads in later through the valve stems and that's no fun at all.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #30
glennpm

I modified a Harbor Freight tire changer, predominately for changing motorcycle tires. I use to ride a LOT and would get around 5k on rear tires so I needed a DIY method. I've used this with car tires too except for the Mojo bar https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm
you see mentioned in the pdf. It is not strong enough for stubborn car tires.

I also have various length tire irons and a "Third-Hand" tool that helps keep the tire bead from creeping off the wheel when mounting along with various small wood blocks and Ruglyde. A bunch of HDPE pieces of plastic (shampoo bottles and other #2 thick plastic) to protect the rim from getting scratched, work great.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harbor Freight Tire Changing Machine.pdf (202.4 KB, 6 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote