Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
Pech33

Default Having Carburetor Issues

My 40 convertible, 59 series engine is having some new hesitation issues when stepping on the throttle. Maybe time for a carburetor rebuild or replacement. Anyone have thoughts about a vendor? Coming into the rainy season so I am not in a huge hurry. It has a 7RT carb on it now. The top of the carb is correct for a non-truck, so I would guess it is pieces of several carburetors. The 91-99 series is correct for the year of the car, but the engine is definitely a 59 with the "A" heads. Does it need the 1942-45 carburetor, the 21-29 series? I watched Charlie Price's video on the model 94's.

Thanks.
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Having Carburetor Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pech33 View Post
My 40 convertible, 59 series engine is having some new hesitation issues when stepping on the throttle. Maybe time for a carburetor rebuild or replacement. Anyone have thoughts about a vendor? Coming into the rainy season so I am not in a huge hurry. It has a 7RT carb on it now. The top of the carb is correct for a non-truck, so I would guess it is pieces of several carburetors. The 91-99 series is correct for the year of the car, but the engine is definitely a 59 with the "A" heads. Does it need the 1942-45 carburetor, the 21-29 series? I watched Charlie Price's video on the model 94's.

Thanks.
Contact Charlie Schwendler (was charlie ny on this forum at one time).

Home (716) 662-9159
email [email protected]

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:18 PM   #3
drolston

Try it with the accelerator pump on the "winter" setting. That is the knob (for a 97 carb) or hole (for a 94 carb) that is furthest from the pivot point. That will give it a bit more juice on each stroke of the throttle.

If that does not help things, you may need to replace a stiff/cracked/worn accelerator pump plunger. The pump parts are available and it is an easy job on either type carb.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Contact Charlie Schwendler (was charlie ny on this forum at one time).

Home (716) 662-9159
email [email protected]

Sal
I agree with Sal 1000%

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
slowforty

I had some intermittent running issues with my 40 Ford. Which I thought was the carb. But it turned out to be the ignition resistor, (Dont Ask Me Why but that is what it was)
Drove me nuts because it would not completely fail. Did not find out untill i changed it .
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:18 PM   #6
Pech33

I just changed my resistor about a month ago. Everything was fine until I rebuilt the carburetor to get rid of the hesitation on acceleration. Ran great in the yard and for about 3/4 of a mile then started crapping out. Had to tow it home. I just put the old “economizer/power valve” back in tonight. Will re-install the carb tomorrow and give it a try. I got the carb kit from Vintage Speed and followed Charlie’s videos as it went back together. I may put the old needle and seat in if I’m still having trouble. If it gives me any crap, it’s going in the garbage with the Stromberg e-fire distributor. I had Skip Haney refresh my helmet distributor and it is sweet. The saga continues. My neighbor saw us towing the 40 home and asked me when I was going to dump the Flatty for a SBC, he got a quick “finger”!
Old 10-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
scicala

If you do throw the carb in the garbage, please throw it in my garbage pale.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #8
Pech33

A previous owner installed an electric fuel pump on this car. I went underneath to get the specs off the pump and it is a 5-8 psi pump. I have 8 psi at the carburetor (bought a $21 fuel pressure gauge at O’reilly’s). I ordered a fuel pressure regulator that should arrive today, 2.5 psi is recommended for the 94 carburetor. Reviewers of the regulator say to check the pressure at the carb after installation because they are made in China and it can vary from the actual setting you think you are getting.

So I installed the rebuilt 94 flipped on the fuel pump switch to fill the bowl, turned the switch off so as to not “overload” the carb and she ran smooth as butter until she ran out of gas.

I will report back the results.

Last edited by Pech33; 10-04-2022 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Add more
Old 10-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #9
Pech33

Ok, I installed the fuel pressure reducer. It is a Mr. Gasket from O’reilly’s. I had to set the control at 1/2 psi in order to get 2 1/2 psi. I ran the car, rechecked it and it was at 3 psi. The car runs fine. When I shut it down there is no rush of fuel down the throat like it had been doing. I’ll see how long it holds together and when it craps out, I’ll buy the Holley fuel pressure reducer. So the carb rebuild was worth it and pretty simple if you follow Charlie Price's video.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #10
mike42

Pech…..several years ago I used a Mr Gasket fuel reg and it let loose one day and spayed gas all over the place. Took it back to the store and they gave me another one. It also went to hell. I bought a Holley and put a gauge on it and never a problem since. That was about 8 years ago. Be careful Is all I can say !

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #11
Pech33

Thanks Mike. I already have had issues with it. I had to grind on the lip to get the nipple screwed in far enough to not leak. It is only a temporary fix, I am ordering the Holley HOL 12-804 and I will use my Mr. Gasket fuel pressure gauge on it. I was at a loss to figure out why the freshly rebuilt 94 was flooding out. If you look around enough (and I did) you can find out many guys have had issues with too much fuel causing flooding issues. It stands to reason that if the 94 is built for 2.5 psi, you shouldn't expect it to work properly with 8 psi!

Thanks again, this is a great forum to get ideas, and answers along with personal experiences.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:50 PM   #12
mike42

I think you’ll be happy with the Holley. I set mine at about 2.7 psi and it works perfectly. I have to tell you…..that the Holleys are built in China too and if you look up online you’ll find that they also had a problem with the wrong springs being installed by our friends who brought us Covid-19 ! I think the lower psi unit should have a red marking on it and mine didn’t. I changed the spring and no problems ! I bought a Holley Gauge also, as anything marked Mr Gasket scares me !
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote