Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
Paul Bjarnason

Default Upholstry Stapler

I am doing the interior of my '29 Tudor and would like to buy a good pneumatic or electric upholstry staple gun, but am unfamiliar with what is a good make and model. Any recommendations?
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Dean Lemoine

Default Re: Upholstry Stapler

I recently took the interior out of my 29 Tudor as part of a total restoration. All of the panels seemed to have been attached with very small nails. I'm a long way from replacing it, but I'm thinking a pneumatic pin nailer might work well. I'm certainly inexperienced and looking forward to other member's thoughts.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

We use a BEA in both a brad nailer and in staples. Quite honestly, tacks are used more frequently in upholstery such as places like seat covers (-over wood bases) and in headliners or tops because you can tack the material while you are installing and then easily remove if you need to adjust or stretch it more. Once everything is positioned correctly, you go back and finish setting the tacks.

If you are still set on staples, I don't think you will find a decent electric stapler that can set the staples properly into wood.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
Paul Bjarnason

Brent - That's a good idea, as like you said, you need to adjust and the staples are hard to pull out. What gauge and length nails should I use for the headliner? I already have Ryobi and DeWalt electric tools. Is a brad nailer the same as a tack nailer? Thanks. Bj
Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

The applications for staples are installing the headliner and perhaps the seat covers. However, I prefer using tacks on the seats because are more easily removed to make adjustments. Brads have a higher usage for upholstery work, so concentrate on a staple gun that has a capability of shooting steel brads into hard wood.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
The applications for staples are installing the headliner and perhaps the seat covers. However, I prefer using tacks on the seats because are more easily removed to make adjustments. Brads have a higher usage for upholstery work, so concentrate on a staple gun that has a capability of shooting steel brads into hard wood.

Again, not saying this is bad advice from Bob but I have never been able to find colored 23 gauge brads for guns. Nothing looks worse in my opinion than to have a gold or brite silver brad showing thru dark mohair or crème broadclotch. If someone could point me to colored brads that can be used in guns, I would love to know about them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bjarnason View Post
Brent - That's a good idea, as like you said, you need to adjust and the staples are hard to pull out. What gauge and length nails should I use for the headliner? I already have Ryobi and DeWalt electric tools. Is a brad nailer the same as a tack nailer? Thanks. Bj

Use ¾" #10 and tacks you will be fine. Spray some hi-tack adhesive onto the roof rib to temporarily attach to and place 3 or 4 tacks across the headliner listing and keep working it until you know you have it pulled taunt. Sometimes using a drapery steamer is your friend to work the wrinkles out. When you are finished aligning and smoothing, go back and tap the tack in to set the head against the listing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Paul Bjarnason

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Best. Bj
Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
whirnot

When we put new upholstery in our roadster a few years back, I bought a 1/4" crown pnuematic stapler from Harbor freight. It worked very well and have used it for many other things since. I found it easy to remove a staple here or there to adjust, just pry it out with s screwdriver. For what it cost, if it only lasted for the one job, I would have been happy. But it just keeps going and going.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

Bill Terry, I don't your comment re using brads. How do you secure side, rear and header upholstery panels with tacks / staples??? Re using brads, you pull the panel cloth over the nail heads so they are not visible.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Tacoma Bob

PLEASE,PLEASE NEVER EVER use a screw driver to remove staples. There is a very effective tool called a Berry staple remover. I wish I knew how to provide a picture of one. $15 dollars is well worth the emergency room costs and vision is pretty important.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Berry Upholstery Staple Tool

Berry Upholstery Staple Tool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg berry tool.jpg (22.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Use ¾" #10 and tacks you will be fine. Spray some hi-tack adhesive onto the roof rib to temporarily attach to and place 3 or 4 tacks across the headliner listing and keep working it until you know you have it pulled taunt. Sometimes using a drapery steamer is your friend to work the wrinkles out. When you are finished aligning and smoothing, go back and tap the tack in to set the head against the listing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bjarnason View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Bill Terry, I don't your comment re using brads. How do you secure side, rear and header upholstery panels with tacks / staples??? Re using brads, you pull the panel cloth over the nail heads so they are not visible.

???? I didn't think I was advising to use tacks in the panels but I apologize if I mislead you in thinking that. My experience has been that not all correct A fabrics have enough napping however we'll ask the pro here since he is already commenting.

Mr. Elms, as a professional upholster, would you care to explain to Mr. Bidonde & myself how not all broadcloths and plain cloth coverings used in roof side rails, upper quarters and rear panels have enough nap to cover over the heads, ...and as such, how do we disguise the head of the brad other than to paint it or use a matching color pin?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

???? I didn't think I was advising to use tacks in the panels but I apologize if I mislead you in thinking that. My experience has been that not all correct A fabrics have enough napping however we'll ask the pro here since he is already commenting.

Mr. Elms, as a professional upholster, would you care to explain to Mr. Bidonde & myself how not all broadcloths and plain cloth coverings used in roof side rails, upper quarters and rear panels have enough nap to cover over the heads, ...and as such, how do we disguise the head of the brad other than to paint it or use a matching color pin?
Well we are all at the mercy of the fabric mills. The nap or thickness will vary depending on the quality desired by the source ordering from any mill. Lesser quality fabrics will show day light between the weave when held up to the light. In How to Restore Your Model A Volume II Ed Meloan wrote a handy how to article on installing a LB kit. Figure #11 and 11 A show how to insert an upholsterer's pin. My recommendation is to not drive the brad all the way home but damn close. Then gently insert the pin alongside the brad head and work it in a small circle. You will feel the fabric pop up just enough to conceal the head. This is another reason to have good wood and tack strips. Hope this helps. TB