Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
qstott

Default Drum, no swage?

This weekend I replaced the cross shaft (thanks for the work Will), and all brake rods on my '30 Tudor to eliminate the slop.

I had been hearing a popping sound sometimes after releasing the parking brake and backing out of the garage, so I pulled the left rear hub off to check on things. I was surprised after taking off the wheel and installing the puller, that the studs were not swaged.

After the hub was off, I discovered the studs had been tack welded in place on the inside of the hub and ground off flat. I did not find the cause of the pop, but think it was solved when I sorted our the mess with the return springs.

There was not really any great improvement in brake performance, but the pedal felt more "solid" when applying the brakes. I think cast iron drums are in my future. The brakes looked good on the left rear.

I have some spare used hubs and backing plates. I should call Randy Gross, but I'm hoping I could send him enough stuff to use and he could fix me up.

Is not having swaged studs a big concern, or is it ok for the short term?

Thanks

Quintin
qstott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
bnchief

Default Re: Drum, no swage?

Fix it right and be done with it.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstott View Post
After the hub was off, I discovered the studs had been tack welded in place on the inside of the hub and ground off flat.

Is not having swaged studs a big concern, or is it ok for the short term?

Thanks

Quintin
Looks like mine were done that was in the '80's. When I went through the brakes for the trip to NY I noticed the welded in studs. Changed them out and had them swaged.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:55 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I don't see it being urgent, but I'd also get them swaged. If you're getting cast drums, then wait and do it at that time.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:08 AM   #5
john charlton

It does depend on the weld quality . I have had welded studs where the weld has failed so the hub had to be pulled . OK if you are at home but no good when you get a flat out on the road !!! . Welded studs are fine if done well and clear the emergency brake carrier . I change them if they look suspect .

John in Happy Halloween ( trick or treaters night ,drat) Suffolk County England
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 AM   #6
James Rogers

If the studs are welded how are the drums being held on? The swage is what keeps the drum in place, not the lugs. This is probably where the noise is coming from.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
qstott

The hole in the center of the drum seems to fit the raised flange on the hub almost perfectly. Its put together just like a modern car with drum brakes. The shoulders on the studs fit just slightly loose inside the stud holes in the drum. The wheel and lug nuts keep the drum on. It could be some of the noise.
qstott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstott View Post
The hole in the center of the drum seems to fit the raised flange on the hub almost perfectly. Its put together just like a modern car with drum brakes. The shoulders on the studs fit just slightly loose inside the stud holes in the drum. The wheel and lug nuts keep the drum on. It could be some of the noise.
Without being swaged it is still dangerous and will make noise. Swaging was necessary in the day with the steel pressed drums. They are not like cast iron drums that can be loose. Proceed at your own risk.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Special Coupe Frank

James is right... if the drum is not secured by the swaged studs, it can "work", and play all sorts of merry hell with the studs, drums, hub, brake adjustment.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Mel Gross

If there is play (movement) within the drum and hub set-up, then this movement will eventually shear the studs off and you will be in trouble. I have had a few jobs come in where the studs were welded on the back side of the hub and all five studs broken off on the outer side of the hub. These same jobs had the backing plates flattened by the road surface after loosing the wheel and drum.
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
larrys40

Agree with Mel, once the studs have been welded on the rear it renderes them useless.
I would look for good hubs and send them all the Randy to have them mated and done.

Do not half do brakes... you will regret it at some time and point.. probably sooner than later.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
Flathead

I just had Randy do two front drums for me. I could not be happier, he is a gentleman and does fine work. NFI.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
James is right... if the drum is not secured by the swaged studs, it can "work", and play all sorts of merry hell with the studs, drums, hub, brake adjustment.
Had the same situation, two nice wheels now have oval holes in them, had to be tossed.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Had the same situation, two nice wheels now have oval holes in them, had to be tossed.
The lug nut washers might have kept them in service.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
johnbuckley

I'm out of line again here! .... had lugs expertly welded on one of the rear when on tour in France many years ago... its been perfect ever since.. I see no reason to get them altered.. agree with #5 ....perhaps the quality of welding is better here in europe!!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote