Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
qstott

Default Parking brake hangs

When I disengage my parking brake, and back out of my garage, I hear and feel a muffled pop from the rear brakes. It's as if the parking brakes are stuck to the drums and then release when it starts moving. I need to adjust the brake, as it will hold on flat ground, but not on an incline like it should. The return springs appear to be correctly installed.

I will remove the rear drums and check, but thought I would ask for advice before doing so.

Thanks
qstott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
qstott

Default Re: Parking brake hangs

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
SeaSlugs

Only thing I can suggest is to pull the drums and have a look, check all linkages for slop in the pins/eyes, lube the arms and make sure its free as can be but not sloppy, and adjust and assure both sides are activating at the same time - have both rear wheels off the ground and pull back on the parkign handle one click at a time then check each wheel.

Should take about 2-3 clicks till the shoes touch then they should start grabbing evenly - if not start adjusting the linkages. Should not be able to bottom out the handle before the wheels are unturnable VIA the big ol bear hug. If you seem you cant find a place where the shoes dont drag and the wheels dont turn anymore you may have a number of problems. One could be the wheel bearings/drums/hub have too much slop so the parking brake isnt centered in the drum giving 100% contact.

Another thought is you should NOT have to cut any brake rods shorter - if you feel this is the only way you have too much slop in the system or your parking brake lining is too far worn and needs replaced. word of caution on that as ive heard there is a thick lining and a thin lining out there in the parts world - thick lining is too thick!

Of course be very careful around the car when the rear wheels are off the ground - use good jack stands and chock the front wheels

How often do you drive your A? I imagine you get pretty humid in NC and brake rotors/drums can rust overnight. That muffled pop could be the shoes unsticking from the drums - is it 100% necessary you keep the parking brake on in your garage? From the sounds of it though it needs adjusted/inspected since you said it doesnt hold on a hill anyways...

Last edited by SeaSlugs; 07-21-2016 at 08:18 AM.
SeaSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Simonpie

I've experienced "flash rust" overnight in motorcycles with iron drums. It makes the brakes lock up in a snap. After the first use, it is gone.
I'd be sure to try using the hand brake to stop a couple times just to see if cleaning the drums this way helps.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
qstott

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is humid in NC. I do keep the car in an insulated air conditioned shop. If I engage the parking brake and drive foward after releasing it, I don't get the pop. Only in reverse. I would suspect some binding because of linkage wear. I'll just have to pull the drums and see.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstott View Post
When I disengage my parking brake, and back out of my garage, I hear and feel a muffled pop from the rear brakes. It's as if the parking brakes are stuck to the drums and then release when it starts moving. I need to adjust the brake, as it will hold on flat ground, but not on an incline like it should. The return springs appear to be correctly installed.

I will remove the rear drums and check, but thought I would ask for advice before doing so.
The parking brake isn't really adjustable in the same way as the regular brakes. By design it should "just work". If you're parking brake won't hold, I wonder if the parking brake lining has delaminated? When my parking brake stopped holding the car on an incline, that was the root cause.
Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Caution: if you try to stop a rolling car with the emergency you can do a lot of damage.
It It will twist up and the drums will get bound up.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote