Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: RE-VIST....Who makes the "Best" Tubes????

And, with the thousands of "past" messages on Model A Forums, (repeated over & over), not to use "NEW" headlight sockets, I also called Mr. Bratton for his advice, just in case he was trying products from a "NEW" responsible headlight socket manufacturer.

Guess what? .......... Just like he promised, his "NEW" headlight sockets work just as great as his "NEW" inner tubes.

And in trying to be fair, I have sought similar advice on parts from Phil & Steve at Bert's & those at Snyder's & others, and always received sincere, truthful advice.

These guys know one another & communicate either directly among themselves, or indirectly through parts manufacturers -- they all have & drive Model A's.

In my opinion, we are just blessed with honest Model A Parts Vendors with a high degree of integrity who strive to maintain outstanding professionalism.

Furthermore, if in a bind, all it takes is a 1-800 toll free phone call.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
wrndln

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question about headlight sockets. THhe post right above this one describes better headlight sockets. I just went to Bratton's website and the headlight sockets description is: "The sockets are foreign and fair quality." H L Chauvin, where did you get the information about Bratton's selling high quality headlight sockets? Their website sure doesn't say anything about better headlight sockets.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
Drive Shaft Dave

Walt, thank you for providing us with good tubes!
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rusty,

If one looks at headlight sockets in "all" U. S, vendor catalogs, Bratton's may be the "only" one where Mr. Bratton spelled out headlight socket "quality"; i.e., "foreign" made as opposed to having customers expecting sockets made in U. S. A. & made to exact Ford heavy duty specifications.

Archives in all years are full of messages saying all repro sockets are pure junk & to re-use only original sockets -- in not having good originals, I asked Mr. Bratton about his repro sockets -- he said in the past (7) years of selling his particular "current" brand of headlight sockets, he heard of no complaints & no sockets were returned for a refund.

Trusted his response, & ordered some of his foreign made repros & they are still working great. Did not have to alter them prior to installation, like that mentioned so often in archive messages.

Sincerely hope this helps to answer your question.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rusty,

Also, in fairness to perhaps someone's local, nearby favorite Model A vendor(s), some of the other vendors "may" or "may not" offer the same sockets & tubes & other Model A items & products as that offered by Mr. Bratton -- I really did not call around to inquire or compare who has which particular manufactured products.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Lopez Mike

There was a request by John Buckley earlier in this thread for a source of motorcycle tubes. I just bought five 4.50-5.00 x 19 tubes from Motorcycle Superstore. The cost with shipping was under $10.00 each. These have a regular 5/16" threaded metal stem. NOT original A style. These are very stout tubes. I use them on my XR-750 racing H.D. on mile and half mile clay ovals where I am putting 75 h.p to the ground through one tire at over 100 m.p.h. and sliding sideways at the same time. Rather rough duty. I have them on my 30 Murray Fordor and they have been standing up just fine. I add a couple of 5/16" brass flat washers inside and outside the hole in the A rim to keep some of the rain and dirt out. Two nuts come with the tubes and I tighten those nuts on both sides of the washers. My car is a daily driver and essentially unrestored. Just rolling down the road listening to the body wood fall apart!
Lopez Mike is offline   Reply With Quote