Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Paul Bjarnason

Default 15 X 7" wire wheels

I have a set of '35 Ford wire wheels but it would cost $150 per wheel to get them re-done in powder coat and they are very old and need some metal work. Right now, Jegs has a sale on 15" X 7" wire wheels with 3.5" rear spacing, whatever that means, for $204 each, free shipping. Will these work OK? Of course, I would still need to get them painted or powder coated. What does the forum think about this? This is for my '29 Tudor which has: warmed up Schwalm's motor, Weber carb, Mitchell OD, Lincoln brakes. I want it to handle well but I wonder if the 7" width may be too much and will the 3.5" rear spacing be OK. Thanks in advance.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 15 X 7" wire wheels

I would shop around for a different powder coater as the price you mentioned is in my opinion is high. Why not clean them up, epoxy the pits and paint. Back in the 60's on a 32 4 dr sedan 2 of us painted the wheels with brushes and a case of beer in an afternoon.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
duke36

Are you referring to 16" wheels? Go to Speedway Motors toolbox and type in Ford wheels. They show the various types. I have a set of 16'' bent spokes which are for '35 and they are direct fit on A hubs. Check around for tire installers in your area that may have a powder coat relationship.. Similar as in post 2, I've used (acrylic enamel) paint for wheels which can be easily touched up, and waxed, compared to powder coat, imho. A couple of guys I've seen made rotating jigs for spraying.
If you want to go the custom route, check out Wheel Vintiques.com for hot rod wheels, in many sizes, including powder coat at $290 each.

Last edited by duke36; 03-23-2020 at 11:02 AM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

15x7's would be fine if you were running large size tires. Maybe big and little's on the rear but not so good on fronts. Be aware of the mounting face, A brake drums are stepped, not flat. As Duke says, be sure they fit A drums, unless you have hydraulics. All are not big problems, just be aware that you may need stepped adapters.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
duke36

Sorry, I forgot to add that your original wheels if pitted, etc. may be a challenge to powder coat which is done under high temps. Special primers/fillers are usually needed to stand up to the 400deg. or so to melt the powder, and I found that not all coaters in our area will do that..
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
Paul Bjarnason

Thank you for the advice gents. I have decided to get my '35 wheels painted, not powder coated. We'll see how it works out. Thanks, again. Bj
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote