Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
masipopa

Default Steering wheel turns light switch rod

When I drive my Model A'30 and turn a steering wheel, it also turns the light switch rod. Because the light switch rod turns it switches the lights on and off.
What could be a solution to this problem ?
masipopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Steering wheel turns light switch rod

There should be a small brass bushing at the top of the light rod. If that is missing it can cause your problem.
Bratton’s has them. This is from their website: “ This bushing slides up the horn rod to the top under the switch handle disc. This keeps the rod centered in the steering wheel. If this is missing, the horn rod drops to the bottom of the steering wheel hub, resulting in the lights turning on and off as you turn the steering wheel.”

https://www.brattons.com/media/catal...6/5/0/5050.jpg

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 10-23-2020 at 11:07 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
masipopa

Thank you Ray. So to install this bushing I will need to take apart light switch spider and bracket at the bottom of light rod, remove the light rod and put the bushing at the very top ?
masipopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by masipopa View Post
Thank you Ray. So to install this bushing I will need to take apart light switch spider and bracket at the bottom of light rod, remove the light rod and put the bushing at the very top ?
Yep. With a sedan or open car you can do that pretty easily. If it’s a pickup or a coupe, you have to maneuver the steering column into a position that allows extraction of the rod, which usually requires removing the whole steering column.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 10-24-2020 at 10:13 AM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
katy

Quote:
If it’s a pickup or a coupe, you have to maneuver the steering column into a position that allows extraction of the rod, which usually requires removing the whole steering column.
Would it be possible to cut the bushing in 2, lengthwise, and slip the 2 pieces in?
Old 10-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

I had that problem when I switched to an F-100 steering gear box. The solution I found was to install a lighter spring down at the spider. I used a spring from a Bendix brake, the one that holds the shoes against the backing plate. An easy fix!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
john charlton

These bushings are very cheap so buy a few and experiment. Could be you could cut one side and gently open it up. When you cut it cut the "return" at the top so the sleeve does not buckle .It might be you have the bush installed and the steering wheel hub is grabbing the light rod . I have had this problem and had to use a "dremel" abrasive wheel to slightly enlarge the steering wheel hole . I have done this several times over the years with different cars . I think this is most likely your problem .Just looked at one and it has a slit down one side anyway so maybe could open up gently I will try it .

John in very windy gusts to 50 MPH Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 10-24-2020 at 11:32 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Hotrodfil

Had a similar problem a few years back - the steering box had been overfilled with grease that had gone most of the way up the inner column causing a certain amount of "stiction" betwixt column and light rod.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
SteveR.

Thanks for posting this. I've had this problem for a while, but it recently/randomly got much worse. I added the bushing from Brattons, cleaned/oiled & straightened the light switch rod and it works perfectly now, no friction at all between the steering wheel and light switch. Previously a normal turn would turn the switch all the way from one side to the other, flashing all the lights in the process.

For anyone who needs to do this, I removed the bail on the bottom of the steering column/switch, removed the switch, then removed the two bolts at the bottom of the steering column. Squeeze the spring at the bottom of the steering column, and a slotted collar will drop off the bottom of the rod, releasing the light switch rod. Pretty simple, took maybe 30 minutes in all. I straightened the rod by rolling it on a flat surface (tool box drawer) and looking for bends. Gentle bending was all it took to straighten it. I removed the two bolts from the bottom of the steering column which allowed just enough play to install the rod without bending.

I ordered two of the bushings, they were both split, so you could probably install without pulling the rod. Glad I ordered two, they are so thin I squished the first one just opening the bag.

Thanks for all the input above...it's nice to have a car where a significant issue takes less than 30 minutes to fix!
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote