Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
DkFordor

Default European Fordor project

Hello all,

First a short introduction: I am a new member of this forum - from the North European side of the pond
I am currently renovating a 1931 Fordor that has been in my family since 1972, used previously as an everyday drive in all weather conditions. The past 20 years or so it has been stowed away awaiting major renovation - and now the time has finally come.
The 'metallic part' of the renovation is well underway, and the 'wooden part' is gaining momentum as well. Hwenever possible I am manufacturing the wooden parts together with a friend, using the old ones as guides. Not everything will be renewed - just the parts that are in need of replacement.

The condition of the car was not too good at disassembly, and I seek a few pieces of advice for the renovation and rebuild process - and hope to find it here

* How do I best avoid squeaking sounds after renovation?
- Should anything be added between metallic and wooden pieces upon reassembly? (There was what looked like a cloth-tape i some places - but it is hard to tell what it really is)

* How do I soundproof the cabin while I am at it?
- Any soundproofing that goes between the wooden pieces in the roof and back constructions?
- In the doors?
- In or under the floor?

* Any recommendation on what to use as insulation between the metal chassis frame and the wooden frame of the housing?

And finally a puzzling question: I was under the impression that Ford used only ash for the wooden parts. Upon opening the car up I found lots of pieces made from oak - but all appearing to be original. Is oak known to have been used as well?

Thanks a lot for a great and knowledgeable forum - and thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

All the best from a fellow Fordor Ford'er
Dan
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote