Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #41
tubman

Default Re: 1934 Tudor needs a little hop-up

Ooops, double post.

Last edited by tubman; 07-15-2020 at 02:48 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #42
tubman

Just a minor point, but the original carburetor for your car was a Stromberg 48. The holleys were used from '38 through '56 but will fit on your car (some of the later ones may require some minor changes). If you decide to change to a Stromberg, either get a decent good used carburetor and have it rebuilt by one of the guys on here or get a new Stromberg 97 from Clive in England. The 97's he sells have a slightly smaller venturi than the original model 48, but I believe that he also offers a "big" 97 that flows even more than a 48. Being in Europe having one of the guys on here to rebuild it may not be practical, but if you decide to go that way, "Uncle Max" is the resident Stromberg expert and there is also "Charlie ny" and "scicala" who both have excellent reputations. You could do it yourself if you can get a kit and a good core.

I would avoid the "9Super7" from Speedway Motors, as they have drawn mixed reviews.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #43
Lawrie

Vincent, to be comfortable at 50 mph and higher I found some things need to be right,
1 steering with no play.
2 good shocks (mine are original fixed up)
3 good spring shackles
4 good tyres,(mine are stock 55x17 cross plys.
All these make it easy to travel with the traffic ,steer ,be looking at something in a paddock on the side ,hit a bump in the road and stay going straight. even if you are towing a caravan.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:55 AM   #44
vincent

My car originated in Argentina and has probably had a hard time the first half century. The steering gear needs some love as there is play which is not adjustable. I made new spring shackles and pins already, now everything is turning in bronce bushes and has grease nipples to keep it lubed properly. I really look forward to rides with this car when everything behaves as it should!
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #45
Lawrie

Vincent, I made shackle bushes for the rear from some yellow nylon stuff from the local bearing supplier, so far they have about 7000 kms on them and are still good.
Lawrie
Old 07-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #46
Fairlane500

I wonder if it has a 4cyl rear axle.

I have a 34 Tudor 4:11 with 750/16's and it will do over 90 mph with a 221 24 stud.

Last edited by Fairlane500; 08-11-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Fairlane500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #47
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane500 View Post
I wonder if it has a 4cyl rear axle.

I have a 34 Tudor 4:11 with 750/16's and it will do over 90 mph with a 221 24 stud.
I find "Industria Argentina" on various parts of the car. Maybe those cars were fitted with a different ratio axle for the "roads" in Argentine in those days. My HRD Rapide bike came from Argentine as well and differed in various things as well from the bikes sold in Europe or USA. Is there a stamping to be found on the diff housing and where should I find it? Of course nobody knows whats actually inside but we might get a clue....
90 mph will send my conrods into stratosphere ....
Your rear wheels fill the guards more than on my car, maybe I have stronger springs to keep the car higher over the ground. Lots of questions but also part of the fun with old toys.
cheers, Harty
Old 07-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #48
Lawrie

Count the number of teeth on the ring gear through the filler hole, look in the green bible and you will see what ratio from that.
let me know the count and I will look it up.
just put a dab on paint on a tooth and turn a wheel and count.
Lawrie
Old 07-30-2020, 05:12 AM   #49
vincent

After my last run yesterday I decided to buy a new carb, preferably a Stromberg Big 97. As there are several types to be had, I would like to find out, which type is the correct one for my 3,6 ltr. 21 bolt engine. What jets should be in the carb, anything else that is different or special for my application? I am ready to order but need a bit of a list, what exactly I want. Sorry but I am confused by the various lettering that the vendors have in their ads for the same carb. I do need a pull choke and a pull throttle. No vacuum tube or hose on the carb. I would like to order in Europe - so who is the Stromberg guru over here?
Thanks in advance, Harty
Old 07-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #50
tubman

Clive Prew in England makes perfect examples of the Stromberg 97. Here is a link : https://www.stromberg-97.com/. From everything I have heard, you would be better off avoiding the 9 Super 7 from Speedway motors. You could also get a good core and have it rebuilt by "Uncle Max" on this site. Actually, you sould probably start by contacting said "Uncle Max" as I am sure he can set you on the proper path.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #51
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Clive Prew in England makes perfect examples of the Stromberg 97. Here is a link : https://www.stromberg-97.com/. From everything I have heard, you would be better off avoiding the 9 Super 7 from Speedway motors. You could also get a good core and have it rebuilt by "Uncle Max" on this site. Actually, you sould probably start by contacting said "Uncle Max" as I am sure he can set you on the proper path.
Thank you very much. I thought about contacting Uncle Max but I donīt want to spend his time and ordering elsewhere then as it takes so long from USA to here. Have ordered an aircleaner in USA and now, only four weeks later, I got a note that it will arrive soon in Europe. Not a fault of the vendor but due to Corona and other difficulties it takes much longer for stuff to arrive here - and I get lousy taxes on top as well. So I would prefer to order somewhere here in Europe. May try to get Clive Prew and see what he advises. If Uncle Max or another carb expert reads this - feel free to give me advice
cheers, Harty
Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #52
vincent

Got in touch with Clive and he told me to run the regular 97 with std Ford setting/jetting. So now I ordered from him and hope that the new carb will help a bit in the driveability of the dinosaur ;-)
cheers, Harty
Old 07-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #53
vincent

BTW, have fitted the bigger tires on wider rims to the rear. 7.00 x 16" is almost 3" bigger in diameter to the 6.00 x 16". This gave a little more speed with less revs and makes cruising much nicer. Still the engine runs best at night when the air is cool, the carb is overly rich despite the much lowered float level. When the engine responds perfectly to the new carb, I will decide which ring gear to order for the differential and of course find out what is fitted to the car at the moment. So step by step the thing gets better and a lot more fun after each workshop hour...
cheers, Harty
Old 07-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #54
Lawrie

You did the right thing by not getting the big 97, it will not fit onto the 33/34 manifold, well it will but you can't bore out the intake to fit the big 97 bore as there is no room,.
The stock new 97 from the UK are the best thing you can get , they work a treat , both our 33 and 34 and also our model A have them on,
money well spent.
Lawrie
Old 08-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #55
Fairlane500

I tell people that a New Stock 97 and a Stromberg E Fire distributor with new coil and leads will fix most Flatheads for those who are not particulalrly mechanically minded or have resources to be.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:58 AM   #56
vincent

Stromberg 97 is fitted and adjusted, it is a very high quality product. Works well, the carb responds exactly to my right foot. However, I think I lost a few horses at the upper end, the engine sounds a bit strangled. The old Holley felt a tiny little bit better in the higher revs. I will probably compare both performances with a GPS to see if my feelings are correct or not.
cheers, Harty
Old 08-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #57
Fairlane500

Make sure its getting WOT have someone stand on it and see if the throttle opens fully