Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
tomcarman

Default Fuel pump gasket

Today the fuel pump starting leaking profusely spewing gas out the back at the top in the '32 5 window. It has an electric pump used to "help". Looking at the pics in the Green book the presumed culprit is gasket part# 9364. I did some looking and couldn't find anything specific to that part #. According to the Green book (if I read it correctly) the same pump was used rom '32 to '46. There must be an easy way to replace this. Also, before we start to open it up and inspect is there something we should be concerned about, like exploding spring loaded parts, etc? Damn thing has only been running since 1972. Thanks to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200719_151654.jpg (28.8 KB, 49 views)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Fuel pump gasket

Any vintage Ford parts supplier will have that gasket....nothing will fly out when you remove the tin dome.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Today the fuel pump starting leaking profusely spewing gas out the back at the top in the '32 5 window. It has an electric pump used to "help". Looking at the pics in the Green book the presumed culprit is gasket part# 9364. I did some looking and couldn't find anything specific to that part #. According to the Green book (if I read it correctly) the same pump was used from '32 to '46. There must be an easy way to replace this. Also, before we start to open it up and inspect is there something we should be concerned about, like exploding spring loaded parts, etc? Damn thing has only been running since 1972. Thanks to all.
If the information above in red is mentioned in the Green Book, that is definately not correct.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
tomcarman

Thank you sir. Until we open it up to verify that's what failed I like to have some knowledge. I'm sure most of us have opened a spring loaded part only to have it explode parts in all different directions. We're not knowledgable experienced mechanics but certainly know how to wrench. I can't believe it failed after getting it running again in '72. The crap you get these days! Sheesh. (LOL)
Old 07-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
If the information above in red is mentioned in the Green Book, that is definately not correct.
Thank you sir. The photo was snapped from my cell phone from page 380 of the Green book today. At the bottom of the page as you can see it states: 1932-46 8 cylinder fuel pump. I have just today started familiarizing myself on how to read the information and I may very well be mistaken. I have much to learn.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If your referring to a diagram, these are the base numbers. You have to look up that number to see what prefix and/or sefex works for your year/model.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here is the Chart from the Green Book:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Pumps.jpg (83.5 KB, 45 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
tomcarman

Got the gasket and getting ready to put things back together. As long as we're there I want to check the fuel pressure PSI to the carb. Did a search here and from what I see the proper fuel pressure about 2 1/2 PSI? Stock '33 engine, stock carb. Wasn't able to find factory type specs.