Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #21
whirnot
Senior Member
 
whirnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bend Or.
Posts: 967
Default Re: shock problem

It appears to be too light in the front, with everything missing. Have you tried adjusting the shocks to restrict more? That should lessen the travel. It appears that they are getting to the end of their travel and then they "cam over" the shocks should rebound way harder than they compress.
__________________
Bill Worden

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #22
Beater
Senior Member
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 565
Default Re: shock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
How tight are the spring clips, it's a rebound problem--- hoe "tight" are the shocks set, the resistance, the spring is aftermarket, the spring clips are to control movement in the unloading direction---- if you jack by the frame so the suspension is hanging, look to see if spring leaves are separated, the clip is to hold them tight , the shock arm should be very hard to move in the down direction, a 30lb weight about on a 3 foot long lever should take 30 seconds to minute to move the shock through 20 degrees of motion
the clips are tight on the springs. ive jacked it up to check and they are tight together. I know when I take it off to put it back on the way it should be its a #$%^& to get the arm back into position the shock is working well
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #23
Beater
Senior Member
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 565
Default Re: shock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
It appears to be too light in the front, with everything missing. Have you tried adjusting the shocks to restrict more? That should lessen the travel. It appears that they are getting to the end of their travel and then they "cam over" the shocks should rebound way harder than they compress.
I have not messed with the shocks to put more resistence into them,
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
barrelnose
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Perth Hills Western Australia
Posts: 21
Default Re: shock problem

The only way that could happen is if the chassis moves to far away from the axle to make the arms go over center. That being the cause,you maybe need a stiffer or longer spring.
What is the angle your shackles sit at,maybe your spring is to short?
Just a thought.
barrelnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #25
jw hash
Senior Member
 
jw hash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auburn Washington
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: shock problem

the shock and shock arm look correct. it is like you are getting to much movement of the front axle. I would jack the car up put it on jack stands to the frame and see how far the front axle drops down. also you have your tie rod in backwards, the bolt always goes to the rear.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #26
J Franklin
Senior Member
 
J Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,416
Default Re: shock problem

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Maybe you need longer arms since the suspension has been modified.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #27
Beater
Senior Member
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 565
Default Re: shock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Maybe you need longer arms since the suspension has been modified.
the suspension has not been modified, where did you get that from?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
Beater
Senior Member
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 565
Default Re: shock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
the shock and shock arm look correct. it is like you are getting to much movement of the front axle. I would jack the car up put it on jack stands to the frame and see how far the front axle drops down. also you have your tie rod in backwards, the bolt always goes to the rear.
I haven't done this yet, but am going to
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #29
Beater
Senior Member
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 565
Default Re: shock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelnose View Post
The only way that could happen is if the chassis moves to far away from the axle to make the arms go over center. That being the cause,you maybe need a stiffer or longer spring.
What is the angle your shackles sit at,maybe your spring is to short?
Just a thought.
shackles sit at the correct or almost correct 45 degrees
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.