Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #21
FireEngineMike

Default Re: Bleeding brakes on ‘42

Nice rig. While you are under the truck check out the rear bleeders and try to figure out how to bleed that part of the system. The bleeder is recessed and virtually unreachable by wrench. I made some tools since I could not figure out the correct way. Those who recommend flushing and bleeding the entire system are correct. That process should be done every few years on our old iron. The crud that came out of my system!! Speed bleeders might be an useful option.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #22
runmikeyrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
Nice rig. While you are under the truck check out the rear bleeders and try to figure out how to bleed that part of the system. The bleeder is recessed and virtually unreachable by wrench. I made some tools since I could not figure out the correct way. Those who recommend flushing and bleeding the entire system are correct. That process should be done every few years on our old iron. The crud that came out of my system!! Speed bleeders might be an useful option.

I haven’t scoped out the rear yet, I will look into it.

If I can get a set of standard bleeder screw on there I have a vacuum hand bleeder I can use. I’m pretty sure I’ll get a bunch of junk out of it; before I got the truck running it had sat for at least 5 years. The master cylinder had about an inch of black sludge in it and no brake fluid. Surprisingly, I scraped it out and filled it up and it stops quite well. But I’d like to get the system bled properly.

I had spoken to a truck shop that does our heavy work. At the fire station we don’t have the equipment to remove the wheels. I mentioned having him go in and replace the lines, wheel cylinders etc. He quoted me a price that is far out of our budget. So if I can just bleed the system out pretty good that is the best I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
runmikeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #23
runmikeyrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
Nice rig. While you are under the truck check out the rear bleeders and try to figure out how to bleed that part of the system. The bleeder is recessed and virtually unreachable by wrench.

Not inaccessible but more of a PITA than the front. Only a few extra curse words [emoji23]. Just requires a 1/4” ratchet with socket. And yes, speed bleeder would have helped. The vacuum bleeder was ok but def got a hand cramp or two

Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #24
runmikeyrun

Ok so I bled the fronts with a hand pump and then had an assistant pump the brakes and do it the usual way. I need the assistant to help me with the rears, I vacuum bled them but that was it so far. Pedal is better, still needs almost one full travel to really get any pedal. If I do the rears I think it will help. Probably lots of air in there from the years it was empty. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 AM   #25
fortyonerag

+1 on speed bleeders
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #26
supereal

Bleeding brakes on an old Ford vehicle without a bleeder can be an ordeal and require lots of brake fluid using the "pump and hold" method to get all the air out of the system. Some use the hand vacuum pump to pull the fluid out, but we have found it to be inefficient. The location of the master cylinder below the level of the bleeder screws is what complicates the job.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #27
runmikeyrun

Anyone have a lead on the bleeder screw size? I didn’t measure mine when I had them out and I’m out of town for a week.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #28
runmikeyrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Bleeding brakes on an old Ford vehicle without a bleeder can be an ordeal and require lots of brake fluid using the "pump and hold" method to get all the air out of the system. Some use the hand vacuum pump to pull the fluid out, but we have found it to be inefficient. The location of the master cylinder below the level of the bleeder screws is what complicates the job.

Would reverse bleeding help with this style of brakes?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #29
john in illinois

Have you adjusted the brakes? Loose adjustment causes excess pedal travel.

John
Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #30
runmikeyrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Have you adjusted the brakes? Loose adjustment causes excess pedal travel.

John

I haven’t had the wheels off, I don’t have the tools at work to do it. Can I adjust them from the outside?

Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #31
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by runmikeyrun View Post
I haven’t had the wheels off, I don’t have the tools at work to do it. Can I adjust them from the outside?

Yes,there are 2 adjustments but just turning the bolts with large springs under them will be enough to test. With the wrench out to the side of the backing plate push down to tighten on each side. May need penetrating oil.

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/brakeadj.html

John