Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #61
Tinker

Default Re: Replace Flathead with Y-Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Richard makes a good point. I recall in 1961 I had a 40 Ford with a 265 SBC and it ran great with zero problems. Didn't ruin the car at all. Just think of all the old Fords that were "ruined" with 331 Hemis, Olds Rocket 88's and Cadillac engines.

Had a chance of buying a running Olds Rocket 88 10yrs ago for $300. I didn't. Also had a nice 61 caddy 390 that I sold and the guy let it rot outside. Regret both decisions.

Couple google searches for you on the yblock install. If anyone on earth has put a yblock in a 52 ford (and are on the web) they will be on the hamb or here, not a lot of luck here on what you want. Join there and ask also. I have not done this personally so...

see post 7. tuck.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...0-ford.693307/

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...k-into-f1.html

I can search for more if you like. But sometimes you need to do the legwork. I would think a yblock in a 52 sedan would be fairly natural conversion. DougE sorry if I can do more let me know.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-08-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #62
Henry Floored

Here’s a couple pics I pulled off Facebook today. Yes I see the recess in the ‘36 firewall but the ‘39 firewall is unaltered.

I’ve seen plenty of ‘35-‘36’s with sbc’s and recessed firewalls too.

Hope these will inspire you. Genuine Ford power!

Yes a 265 scrub engine ruins an old Ford. It’s a bastard car at that point.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #63
koates

Well I wasn't going to say anything for fear of recrimination, but this story has run along for more than 60 posts (which shows the interest here) but we are more about original and restored flathead ford V8s with only minimal modifications. So I am thinking we should be sticking to just that. Plenty of hot rod and custom car forums around for buggered up cars. There, now you can whack me if you like. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #64
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Well I wasn't going to say anything for fear of recrimination,
There, now you can whack me if you like. Regards, Kevin.
Here's the thing..... While we all come here for flathead information, a lot or, maybe even, most of us evolved through decades of devouring the available machinery. Certain things we prefered others we avoided or changed.

Myself am guilty of objecting to this thread. Now though I am able to understand that the whole team here ( including most of our Heavy Hitters ) is supportive in sharing info to the situation.

I feel prompted again to apologize and also to say THANK YOU! to all the team for being present. Thank You, for making EarlyV8 Fordbarn the gem that it is
Old 10-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #65
DougE

I'm the OP. You guys are definitely into flatheads as the forum is for '32 to '53 V8's, stopping just short of the Y-Block. My apologies for being, in my ignorance, outside the lines as it were. I do appreciate the interest that caused this thread to exceed 60 posts though!
It appears the simple answer would be to find a 292 CID Y-Block with the manual trans bellhousing attached.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #66
A bones

Hi DougE, no regret I spoke without realizing that I never surrender my dreams to others whim.

Glad, really glad, that answers were given. Good Luck sourcing the parts you need.

#28 said well the sentiments of being different. Your plan won't take your car away from the era of its existence. Personally I did not realize Y-blocks ( other than Paxton equipped T-Birds ) were performers. I'm wiser now.

The quote below leaves open what the action of "dealing with" involves. There ain't nothing like driving the machine that you created.

Please keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordwife View Post
In my opinion, dealing with the oddities and shortcomings of these old cars is part of the fun of driving them.