Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
yblock57

Default 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate

Since we're on the subject of data plate decoding, I had Dad send me the one off his '56 crown. Here's what I've dug up. That pesky production code is the only part that seems to be questionable (like the early '57 posted prior). Any comments/corrections welcome.

One noteworthy thing here is the production date; May 2nd. We were always under the impression this was an early production car due to the air-cooled Fordomatic transmission. Anyone have an any info when they switched to the liquid-cooled FOM?

56_crown_plate.jpg

P = 312 4v
6 = 1956
D = Dallas Assembly Plant
W = Crown Victoria
198517 = 98,517th car assembled
64A = Fairlane Crown Victoria (steel top)
L = Peacock Blue (lower body)
E = Colonial White (upper body)
S = Style-Tone (tu-tone)
AN = White Vinyl & Dark Peacock Cloth
2E = May 2, 1956
10 = Dealer Code
7D = Scheduled Item #

Thanks,

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird

Last edited by yblock57; 12-17-2021 at 12:54 PM.
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate

The dealer code was only for cars that were ordered by the dealer network. Cars that were built on speculation likely had no dealer code. That 107D at the end can be argued till the cows come home but I would figure that there would tend to be a line production number for that day. All my earlier cars have a number for that since none were special ordered. I don't know if special ordered cars were treated differently on the line number or not. There are just too many possibilities to be sure.

The air cooled transmission was continued on some engine applications. The higher the performance level, the better the chance that is would have the radiator cooling set up.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The dealer code was only for cars that were ordered by the dealer network. Cars that were built on speculation likely had no dealer code. That 107D at the end can be argued till the cows come home but I would figure that there would tend to be a line production number for that day. All my earlier cars have a number for that since none were special ordered. I don't know if special ordered cars were treated differently on the line number or not. There are just too many possibilities to be sure.

The air cooled transmission was continued on some engine applications. The higher the performance level, the better the chance that is would have the radiator cooling set up.
Thanks, Rotor. Agreed that that production code is a can of worms. Too bad it can't tell what sales district it was shipped... Other than having the original invoice, it's likely impossible to ever know for sure.

Dad thinks they went to liquid-cooled FOM's in June '56. Probably debatable as well depending on what it was bolted behind as you pointed out.

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
mercman from oz

1956 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post

Dad thinks they went to liquid-cooled FOM's in June '56. Probably debatable as well depending on what it was bolted behind as you pointed out.
He's correct, but V8 only.

FORD made a bunch of changes (engine and trans) 1956 mid-year production.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate

Quote:

The dealer code was only for cars that were ordered by the dealer network. Cars that were built on speculation likely had no dealer code.
Again speculation. Every car was assigned to a DISTRICT SALES OFFICE, and that included DEALER ORDER or for inventory. FORD did nothing on speculation.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 12-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
rotorwrench

I wonder how many dealers had to take cars that they really didn't want just to keep there franchise over the years.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate

Quote:

I wonder how many dealers had to take cars that they really didn't want just to keep there franchise over the years.
That's an interesting question. I would a$$-u-me that they would have to stock a minimum number (according to dealer size and past sales records) and FORD would choose the build (as they would know what was most likely to sell or not), the dealer being able to order its own stock and/or a customer special order.

I worked for several dealers over a twenty-plus year period but all of this was history then.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
1942deluxe

I started running a small Ford dealership in 1992 and every order was a retail order or a stock order that the dealer placed. We were what is called a select dealer. The larger "contact" dealers were required to take a certain amount of units each month. Years before Ford "bulked" units to all dealers. Resulted in some odd units like a 1960 Galaxie with every option but with a 6 cyl. three speed stick per a salesman that worked for me.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post

I started running a small Ford dealership in 1992 and every order was a retail order or a stock order that the dealer placed. We were what is called a select dealer. The larger "contact" dealers were required to take a certain amount of units each month. Years before Ford "bulked" units to all dealers. Resulted in some odd units like a 1960 Galaxie with every option but with a 6 cyl. three speed stick per a salesman that worked for me.
THANK YOU for the clarification -

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
chain drive

ford service letter p-298 march 16, 1956 the new trans. has a steel impeller instead of the al. one it shows pic of the water cooler lines and radiator it also said 8 cly. only have many service letters looked at them last nite for 3 hrs. lots of things got redone that we never new ford barn has a lot of good people trying to keep this sport going
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Quote:
ford service letter p-298 march 16, 1956 the new trans
Muchly Appreciated ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post

I started running a small Ford dealership in 1992 and every order was a retail order or a stock order that the dealer placed. We were what is called a select dealer. The larger "contact" dealers were required to take a certain amount of units each month. Years before Ford "bulked" units to all dealers.
It just dawned on me what the poster was describing.

hUKtd oN fonIx - WerX 4 mEE
Old 12-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #14
chain drive

hi kultulz do you have any service letters? i am better working on fords then running this machine our daughter might print them for you if i can get her over here
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:11 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain drive View Post

hi kultulz do you have any service letters? i am better working on fords then running this machine our daughter might print them for you if i can get her over here
I have few. 57fordsforever has some online. What periods do you have? I will gladly pay paper, ink and time for copies.

THANX for the offer!

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain drive View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

I have few. 57fordsforever has some online. What periods do you have? I will gladly pay paper, ink and time for copies.

THANX for the offer!
Here is the thread from 57fordsforever showing most bulletins for the 1957 model run - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3220.0

It is four pages.

I am really interested in 1956 as that year FOMOCO did a lot of upgrades to the FYB.

An excerpt from one gentleman in the above referenced thread -

EDIT - RetractBob - Reply #11

(To Give Credit Where Due)

Quote:
Which, now knowing something of my background on 57 Fords, brings me to your topic on Service Bulletins. Since I am a new member here, I of course didn't see your original posting from last October until now. I also see that there hasn't been any "activity on it since a few weeks after your original posting, so I hope this reply isn't "in vain". "Service bulletins" are one of the items I "attacked" very heavily in the 80's. I use the term "service bulletins" very generically as it is something that has been misconstrued by many over the years. Ford actually published 3 main "service type" letters over the years which cover our '57's : these were Management Service Letters (1948-62); Product Service Letters (1948-62); and Technical Service Bulletins (1950-62). The Product Service Letters (which it appears are what you have been scanning and referring to as "Service Bulletins") are most often referred to incorrectly as Technical Service Bulletins. This became such a misconception that I wrote a narrative on the three major types of publications (focusing on the TSB's) over 25 years ago. As most wouldn't be interested in the almost 7 typewritten pages I wrote, I have not included it here, but can email it to you. However, I will summarize the 3 here :

MSL - 1948 - 1962 ; M1 - M242 (M144- M162 cover the 1957 Model year)

PSL - 1948 - 1962 ; P1 - P500 (P320-359 cover the 1957 Model year)

TSB - 1950 - 1962 ; # 1 - # 513 (# 227 - 278 cover the 1957 Model year)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-23-2021 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #17
alt63bird

https://1956-ford.com/images1956ford...te-decoder.pdf has a bunch of '54-'56 Ford data plate decoding info. Re: Production code and use of letter at end, I'm not sure when they started showing up at the end of the string during '56.

I know Crown Victoria Ass'n collects this data but to date the person collecting data plate info has refused to share information (I've asked and tried to get info several times in my 35+ years of membership only to get 'crickets'). I'd really like to know what CVA has done with this information as they've been collecting it since the '80s.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:37 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post

I know Crown Victoria Ass'n collects this data but to date the person collecting data plate info has refused to share information (I've asked and tried to get info several times in my 35+ years of membership only to get 'crickets'). I'd really like to know what CVA has done with this information as they've been collecting it since the '80s.
I can understand it as the the ASSOCIATION is closed to members only and why share the info if not being compensated?

I have gathered a bunch of information and need to go through it. One needs the earlier CHASSIS CATALOG and pertinent service publications to close it.

I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth again ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-23-2021, 05:11 AM   #19
LOWRIDER

Quote:
My Dad worked at a Ford dealer starting in the early 50's. It had been in business for a long time when he started. I'd heard the owner was cranky guy and pretty well off. My Dad and others that worked there said that if Ford sent him some cars he didn't order he'd get on the phone with Ford and tell them to come pick them up otherwise it would be a great place to open a Chevy dealer. Different times.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #20
alt63bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I can understand it as the the ASSOCIATION is closed to members only and why share the iinfo...
I've been a member of CVA since 1987, and I still am. My frustration is that I've yet to see data processed into articles or other useful or interesting information after all this time. I've compiled similar data plate info since the 80s for the group I've been a tech editor/director for and generated numerous articles with statistics on production information like percentages of color and interior usage and related trivia over 4 decades, but that's the statistical geek in me coming out. Just gathering info and not doing anything with it is an opportunity lost in my mind.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote