Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #21
2935ford

Default Re: My 1928 Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
The Phaeton is my favorite, you can really enjoy a tour with the top down. This picture is at the CCRG a few years ago when we toured through Yosemite National Park!

That's a great picture.
Been to Yosemite plenty of times when I lived there.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #22
rexrogers

There is local cruise night tonight and I think i know a few of the local model A guys I will let them look it over and give me a run down on their opinions.

I pulled the drums off last night and checked the brakes out the brakes were in good shape but the backing plate bolts were loose one even lost a nut. Repacked the bearings and I should be good there for a bit. I am glad it has the spare wheels i found a huge tear in one of the front tires, just something more to add to the list.
I didn't get around to getting all the fluids changed, I did top everything off and used stp in the transmission and it seamed to help it.
My plan is to pick up my son from school today in the phaeton, and take it out for ice cream with the wife later.
the headlights are not working but i am hoping it is just some contacts there is a lot of grease and dirt by the steering box. one winter project is to rewire the car but right now i just want to drive so i will limit the trips to day time which is probably a good idea till i know the car a little better.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #23
al's28/33

Phaetons are a great way to cruise and show off your love for the hobby to all your neighborhood. Love mine and had it for 14 years so far never a dull moment in an "A".
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #24
Classiccanuck

Nice!! Enjoy
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
Dave in MN

The exterior colors appear to be Rose Beige, main color and seal brown, along the top of the doors.
Nice car!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #26
rexrogers

Thanks for the break down on the body colors.
On saturday i believe all my neighbors went for a ride around the block in the Phaeton, one elderly neighbor learned to drive in a 31, even let a few of the neighbors drive it around as well.
I had my first casualty last night one of the windwing windows fell off while i was driving around the block.
I still need to get in touch with one of the local model A guys and see if they can give me an honest opinion on how the car runs and drives. I know the main items that need attention but working on getting a punch list together for the car.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #27
rexrogers

I'm getting ready to pull my Phaeton in and replace the clutch on it and a few other things this winter.
My car has a big hole in the firewall for a heater and i ran across a vintage exhaust manifold heater for the car so i think i will put that on as well, i know a heater won't do much good in a phaeton but at least my firewall hole will serve a purpose.
The clutch needs replaced and that will more than likely snow ball into a few other projects.
I really want to take the car out in some deep snow this winter and do a bit of winter driving with the car. You always see the vintage photos of them going through heavy snow.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #28
Marshall V. Daut

I've posted this photo before of my wife with friends in our late 1928 Phaeton featuring outside door handles. This photo was usually posted in response to a question about color combinations for 1928. This phaeton is now Niagara Blue Light body with Duchess Blue belt and French Gray pinstripe. It came to me with a Powerhouse generator and multiple disk clutch, making it for sure a 1928, as the serial number confirms. So much for its late 1928 provenance.
There are way too many such late 1928 open vehicles running around for them all to feature "dealer installed" exterior door handle kits. That was not a simple task, by the way. All the old inside handle latches had to be replaced by those accepting the exterior door handles with shanks, and holes had to be drilled in the outer door panels and through the upholstery panels. All just to have an outside door handle ? The whole car industry had gotten its customers to accept inside door levers (as seen in millions of open Model T's) for decades. Besides the hassle of installing the dealer's conversion kit, it was most likely relatively expensive for the kit itself and labor to install it. People who bought the open Model A's were spending comparatively very little money to purchase the LEAST EXPENSIVE body style in the Model A line. It's doubtful that many of these same low-dollar folks forked out that kind of money for a debatable "improvement" such as adding exterior door handles. Anyone have any figures on how many such kits were ever sold by dealers?
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carol and 1928 Phaeton.jpg (73.8 KB, 41 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #29
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrogers View Post
I'm getting ready to pull my Phaeton in and replace the clutch on it and a few other things this winter.
My car has a big hole in the firewall for a heater and i ran across a vintage exhaust manifold heater for the car so i think i will put that on as well, i know a heater won't do much good in a phaeton but at least my firewall hole will serve a purpose.
The clutch needs replaced and that will more than likely snow ball into a few other projects.
I really want to take the car out in some deep snow this winter and do a bit of winter driving with the car. You always see the vintage photos of them going through heavy snow.
Neither snow nor rain nor ice nor salted roads will I drive my Model A.
I figure the Ol' gal has seen enough bad weather in her days.
I know she can handle it...it's them other knuckleheads out there that I just don't trust.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #30
DougVieyra

Marshal's post # 28 is 'right on'.

AND having driven my late '28 Phaeton (with factory outside door handles) for fifty years, and my 1931 Dlx Roadster for 10 years in the 1970's, I can tell you that the exhaust manifold heater DOES work well -especially for the front passenger. In many cases the front passenger is a wife or girl friend. You keep them happy . . . . and YOUR life is happy !

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #31
supergnat

Wow, great car. I would love to have one someday but I probably can't get enough for my leatherback and what little spare cash I have to upgrade to one. I do enjoy seeing them at shows and parades. Hopefully you can find clutch plates for the multidisc transmission that you probably have.
Good luck
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #32
CWilson

Love it!
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote