Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
karasmer

Default Influx of car shows on TV

Wheeler dealers is on now, don't care for that one much but there sure seems to be an influx of car shows coming out lately. My son is a new budding filmmaker and I have been trying to talk him into following me around to swap meets, car buys. guy's garages and such, no drama only cars. But he is not to interested in any of that. Sure would be neat to see the premier of the "Ford Barn" tv show on the Velocity channel or..
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
denis4x4

Default Re: Influx of car shows on TV

There are only a couple of "non-drama" car shows. One is hosted by Ray Everham(sp?) and produced by Rick Hendricks. Chasing Classic Cars is proof positive that you can do a show without the drama and last more than a couple of seasons.

Don't care what anybody says, Monster Garage, in spite of the drama, was a winner!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #3
Roadster62

If they would kill the drama on Graveyard Carz that would be one of the best shows out there. I have NO INTEREST in MOPAR Muscle cars whatsoever but I find that show addictive. Way too clean a shop for me but Mark has a passion for what he is restoring, on a level with "Fine Point" quality Model A's. Wayne Carinii's Chassing Classic Cars is shot with him and two other people. He's local, wonder if he might shoot the Cider Mill meet this year if asked? His dad was a top flight A restorer years ago. Bob
Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Wick

Whats in the Barn is also a good show,they do find a car now and then. I love the vintage bikes. Chassing classic cars is good...I even watch the reruns.
Classic Cruizers is ok,the guy has done alot in his lifetime and his wife Robin...(63) aka Rubber Doll is pretty cool.
Waiting for "Jay Lenos Garage" to start.

Graveyard Carz...Mark's Ego needs adjusting,who would want to work for a guy that acts the way he does?
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Bob-A

Unhappy Re: Influx of car shows on TV

I don't really care for any of the "car" shows. But, Gas Monkey Garage is somewhat entertaining. At least he knows when he finds a nice antique
car not to chop into a rolling POS.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
tpowel2

Wheeler Dealers is my favorite show, they've been on for 10 years and are filming their 11th season now. As far as I know they have never done a Model A, but that would be awesome! I also like Overhaulin, What's My Car Worth and Chasing Classic Cars. I can't stand Graveyard Carz because of Mark, too much for me. Fantomworks that started last year was good, but has the same issue, the owner is a jerk. Desert Car Kings was good, but It was only on the one season. You know, I just realized, maybe I watch too much T.V.
tpowel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Charlville

We had a show based over here on Nat Geo called Car SOS that was a kind of Overhaulin clone but with a more "Classic Car" approach http://natgeotv.com.au/tv/car-sos/ One of the presenters is Fuzz Townshend, a pretty well know guy in UK classic circles. Quite enjoyable on the whole.
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
insomniacshotrods

Can someone give me channel numbers for these shows. I have dish and over 250 channels with a lot of them blocked (thanks to my wife ,she has more patients than me ha )so it wouldnt take 5 hours to go through em. Dont know what most of em even are. Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
davehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniacshotrods View Post
Can someone give me channel numbers for these shows. I have dish and over 250 channels with a lot of them blocked (thanks to my wife ,she has more patients than me ha )so it wouldnt take 5 hours to go through em. Dont know what most of em even are. Thanks
I agree 100% , except for Desert Car Kings , and Gas Monkey , I have never heard of these other shows . And I spend " way to much time " surfing during the winter to not find these shows on my 250 plus channels .
I also agree they should leave out the "drama " , stay with the cars .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
1967gt

that show in ca. on discovery ch. da rod shop ,, should be called duh rod shop, wont last , its tooo stupid
1967gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
jm29henry

I like the car shows, seems a lot of times just nothing better on.my favorite is Car Chasers ,I love to see the farther and son rivalry.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Roadster62

Velosity chennel is the one that carries all the good car shows. Funny how some of you guys don't like Mark on Graveyard Carz, he KNOWS what he is doing, but has a staff of idiots. The show needs to feature more body repair and paint work. That is dirty work and eats up time so it isn't good TV I giess. What is in the Barn is another great show, I've mmet Dale at bike meets, he really is a nice guy in person, just like the guy on TV. Wheeler Dealers is easy too watch, just need to get a Pounds to Dollar chart to understand what they have invested. Bob
Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Willie Krash

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniacshotrods View Post
Press the hash tag (#) symbol on your remote and enter search. Use your remote to spell the name out. You only have to spell part of the name. If you don't have a DVR call dish and tell them to give you one or you're leaving them. They will typically will. Yes for free.

You do use the remote a set up sub-menus I hope. I have six of 'em. Movies, News, Discovery, general and two defaults.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
26Tguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967gt View Post
that show in ca. on discovery ch. da rod shop ,, should be called duh rod shop, wont last , its tooo stupid
That is SO true!!!

For the most part, all the car shows out there are just too "scripted" for me. Chasing Classic Cars is about the only on worth watching. AmeriCarna is so poorly acted its almost painful to watch. And the Gas Monkeys are funny to watch, if nothing else.
26Tguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
karasmer

My favorite so far is What's in the Barn, seems a bit more down to earth catering to the average Joe whereas Chasing classic cars is way more on the upper Bugatti end of things.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Tguy View Post
That is SO true!!!

For the most part, all the car shows out there are just too "scripted" for me. Chasing Classic Cars is about the only on worth watching. AmeriCarna is so poorly acted its almost painful to watch. And the Gas Monkeys are funny to watch, if nothing else.
Agreed, when the focus is on concocting interpersonal strife, bad behavior , or somebody showing their A@#, I'm switching channels. That's why I like Wayne Carini, and watching Ed fix Mike's rust buckets. Anything else just reminds me of the plea, "America, stop making talentless fools famous" ( Honey Boo Boo, the Kardashians, etc.),
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #17
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I don't really care for any of the "car" shows. But, Gas Monkey Garage is somewhat entertaining. At least he knows when he finds a nice antique
car not to chop into a rolling POS.

Bob-A
If you only knew the truth behind the gas monkey show lol the shows a joke, they're just in it for the money. The prices they buy and sell cars at on the show, are fake. They're "adjusted" to make good tv. Hell some of the cars they've "sold" at auction or to customers are fake buys. Remember the A they built in the first episode? The guy that "bought" it for I think 20,000+ was actually related to Aaron. I remember once they sold a truck at auction to a "phone bidder". The truck didn't sell, it was their painters truck, and they didn't have a car to build for the episode, so they just built his truck and pretended to sell it. At the beginning they were getting $15,000 per episode from discovery to use on a car, idk what they get now. Those guys don't do good restorations or hot rods. The only thing real about that show is the fact theta they do build a car in a couple of weeks. But for anyone who is in the restoration/hot rod business knows a good quality car can't be built that fast. All of their cars are 10 footer. But I can't blame them for what they do, if I was gettin paid as much as they do, I'd probably throw something together real fast for tv as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
Keith True

I've never seen any of these shows.I had no idea how many shows there are out there.There was an old two family home in the town next to me,that the town had bought for the property.About 16 months ago they decided to demo the buildings on the property.There was an old two car garage out back,kind of tipping over with the sliding doors kind of wedged in the ground.Before they tore the garage up they had a camera crew all set up to record what they would find when they removed the doors.There was a 67 Plymouth in there,flat tires,inch of dirt on it,but very well preserved.The previous owner said there had not been a car in that garage since the 50's.On top of that there was no way there would have been a Mopar product there.Because of a problem he had with a Chrysler product just after the war he never owned another one.Then he told me how the TV people had carefully removed the sliding doors,rolled the car in,re-installed the doors,and spread dirt on the car with a lawn seeder.They had dug four holes for the tires and let the air out of them.They then filmed the whole unveiling as what you can still find in barns.I have no idea what TV outfit did this.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #19
Wick

On Dish ch.246 is the good shows. Do-Rod shop,converting a bug to electric,take a good look. 2 Different year bugs. Then the 63 Falcon being rare?Cant find parts... I did a search on C.L. plenty of parts cars.
Now Count Customs I can watch. Gass Monkey LOL

Now the Very Best you can watch is on YouTube! Learn how to repair your model A,watch Model A's hill climb,watch Hershey in 1963 or 2013 Listen to Flatheads or model A's or T's starting after a rebuild. Then go to the Barn Finds orJunk yard tours!

Hook a HDMI cable from your laptop to your big screen tv and enjoy!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
Rowdy
BANNED

One good trend is that the shops shown on TV now show it is OK to leave some cars original and others are open to debate. I enjoy seeing the stock restored Model A that is at times in the background of American Restoration. I think little things like that are overall good for the hobbie. Rod