Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
thebanjoman

Default media blasting - special considerations?

I tried last weekend to start media blasting the coupe body to start tackling the rust to see what shape the panels are in to start the repair.

My little campbell hausfield blaster and I were no match for this task. I'd better find someone to do this for me as I'd be here for months.

There aren't any places I know of in the area (Winchester VA) that are close that would do media blasting for a full car body but there is a local powdercoating shop that I was thinking of calling and asking of they would do it. They powdercoat auto frames and other large items. I am familiar with their work on patio furniture, wheels, and other items and they do a great job.

What special considerations should I take when looking for a shop that would media blast my coupe body? And how would one expect it to be priced?

By the hour or by the job? (know this probably varies between shops)

I would suspect that a company that understands media blasting would be competent enough to not destroy the body and I know it will may come out looking more haggard than when it went in with the rust coming off and the holes appearing. I just need a good working 'canvas' to start the metal work.

The front fenders are fiberglass on my coupe.. I can't afford metal and this is how she came to me so I can handle them on my own.
thebanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote