Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Gary Gregory

Default Firewall Insulator

Anyone using a Firewall Insulator that some of the parts vendors are selling ? My Coupe is just a fun car so i don't mind that the inside firewall wouldn't look 100% orig. I'm having the car painted and have the gas tank out so now would be the time to install the insulator. Is it a pretty easy fit and is the differents in comfort worth the price?? I do have a manifold heater and would need to cut a hole for that which shouldn't be to tuff.
Gary Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Jordan

Default Re: Firewall Insulator

insulate as much as possible. every nook and cranny. it really makes a difference (especially when you have an AC!!)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Keith True

They work.You won't believe the difference from before and after.The heat in the summer,and the noise level.You will hear squeaks and rattles you never knew were there before though.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
V4F

i love mine ! what a difference ............. steve
Old 11-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Gary Gregory

What holds it in place ? Wouldn't want to drill more holes in the firewall.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Jordan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregory View Post
What holds it in place ? Wouldn't want to drill more holes in the firewall.
There are different types of insulation you can get. There is a kind that has an adhesive side that you can stick on the firewall/floor boards. There is also the silver shiny kind that you just cut out, and it'll hold itself up against the firewall as long as you cut it as one big piece.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Anyone using a Firewall Insulator that some of the parts vendors are selling ? My Coupe is just a fun car so i don't mind that the inside firewall wouldn't look 100% orig. I'm having the car painted and have the gas tank out so now would be the time to install the insulator. Is it a pretty easy fit and is the differents in comfort worth the price?? I do have a manifold heater and would need to cut a hole for that which shouldn't be to tuff.
Gary,
If I read you right, you are asking about the one piece firewall insulator that is constructed of THICK felt with some type plastic cover molded to shape of model a firewall (inside).
Yes, I put one of these in my '30 roadster when I had it torn down as yours is now.
Tips: have everything clear of the firewall; best to have two sets of hands(but I did by myself); spray some 3M adhesive ...a little on insulation and a little on firewall; here is where two guys come in more better , as this 3M is serious stuff once it TOUCHES (after short tacky time) as it won't move after touching !
Prep: set the insulator into place and do any holes/cutting/fitting prior to glueing. Good luck

Btw...it has a textured surface and is black and you will NOT even notice that it is in place..unless you know,eh I wouldn't have it any other way, if your firewall is already stripped down.

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-17-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: add...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Gary Gregory

Yes I'm asking about the one piece insulator. Sounds like it does a great job.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
John LaVoy

The one piece insulator from Quiet Ride is great. We have it on all the cars. It is held in place by using the screws that hold the junction box in place. No other holes to drill.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
The one piece insulator from Quiet Ride is great. We have it on all the cars. It is held in place by using the screws that hold the junction box in place. No other holes to drill.
Who sells this one?
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Who sells this one?
I was interested also and did a bit of "googling" and found QUIETRIDE SOLUTIONS, (209)942-4777 in Stockton, CA. They sell kits for just about any car, but no prices are listed on the website. I guess you have to call them.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
J Franklin

The pricing is there, just go as if you are ready to order and prices are in about the 4th column. One for my car listed as $126.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
CarlG

In their list of "Dealers" they list all of our regulars, Snyders, Brattons, Mikes, etc. etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
CarlG

My next question is: has anyone done this on a completed car, or does it have to be done at a certain point during restoration?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #15
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I have installed the firewall insulator from the Stockton company. The installation is fairly easy. You need to take out the speedometer cable and the gas line from the tank to the firewall. The firewall insulator is held in place by the spedometer clamp screw and the coil screws. I did not glue it to the firewall for fear that I might want to remove it someday. It has been in the car for about 6 years. It comes in black, however, you can buy a special paint if you want to change the color to match your interior. You will be surprised as to how much the heat and noise is reduced.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
Gary Gregory

Berts has the insulator for $115. "Quote..Thick insulator formed fitted to the back of a ABS plastic cover that matches the design of the firewall. Ford came out with a similar deal on the 1932 Fords" This sounds like a great product if you drive your car a lot. My concern is attaching the manifold heater door assembly and being sure it will reach through the insulator and into the orig firewall. I have the old style louver door and the only thing holding it in place is that it fits snug in the hole.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Gary/IA

Quote:
Berts has the insulator for $115. "Quote..Thick insulator formed fitted to the back of a ABS plastic cover that matches the design of the firewall. Ford came out with a similar deal on the 1932 Fords" This sounds like a great product if you drive your car a lot. My concern is attaching the manifold heater door assembly and being sure it will reach through the insulator and into the orig firewall. I have the old style louver door and the only thing holding it in place is that it fits snug in the hole.
I used a firewall insulator like the one Bert's sell, also a repo door assembly. Everything fit very well. As you can see in the photograph, the door assembly is held in place by the two small bolts. In my case the holes for the two bolts and the large hole for the heat were already drilled in my car firewall, so it was a matter of only making the holes in the insulated firewall. The door assembly on mine protruded through into the engine compartment about 5/8".

Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
Gary Gregory

Think I'll get the insulator, believe I can make the heater door I have work.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
TinCup

You can install one on a complete car. The biggest work is disconnecting all the electrical connections going thru the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
My next question is: has anyone done this on a completed car, or does it have to be done at a certain point during restoration?
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
30Tudor

I installed the Firewall Insulator from Quiet Ride Solutions this weekend. I had it sent to me by Berts who had noted they were waiting for this part for some time. One word of caution is that the holes don't line up well. They are close but not close enough. Make sure you dry fit it a couple of times before using any adhesive. The holes for the coil mounting bolts need to be drilled out to be about 3/8" diameter. If these are made bigger the other holes roughly line up, however, the lower holes to mount the junction box are way off. They can be drilled out from the engine side. Otherwise it went in fairly easily and looks great!
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote