Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Any shaky can preference on small parts??

I know from years back that NAPA's Martin Senour spray paint used to be the best spraying paint out on the market.......What is the favored shaky can spraying paint that you prefer????
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Any shaky can preference on small parts??

I've notice what seems to be an endless change to the spray nozzles of rattle can paints of all the ones I've tried in the last few years. The most important part and you never know what your going to get until you pull the cap off. If paint wasn't so expensive, I wouldn't even use the damn things. The spray pattern from even a touch up gun is so much better quality. Lately I've been using the Rust-Oleum brand Hard Hat stuff but it doesn't hold a candle to what it used to be 25 years ago.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-24-2020 at 05:54 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

It sorta depends on what u are
Trying to achieve .....
Sometimes I just use $.99 cheap stuff to get something primed, temp covered or all one color
If I need a decent finish I use rustoleum
Agreed better to just load up a cheap gun and spray
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
rich b

I like Rustoleum black epoxy appliance paint for small parts.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
TJ

I had good luck with the 99 cent cans from Walmart. I use the black in flat or gloss and it holds up well.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #6
Jim in Wisconsin

I had good results with Ace Hardware black. The can I had lasted for a lot of little parts and the nozzle never got plugged.
Those nozzles drive me nuts too. I have a little jar full of used ones, If I can't get a can to spray, I keep trying other ones. It doesn't help very often, but it's something to try. Otherwise throw the can in the field and shoot at it with a pellet gun. Your part don't get painted, but you you get to see a little explosion. On some cans, turning it over and spraying some upside down to clear the nozzle doesn't help, paint just keeps coming out.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
paul2748

After using and turning upside down to clear, I wipe the nozzle with lacquer thinner.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
rockfla

As I previously posted NAPA’s Martin Senour spray cans had hands down the best nozzles with a nice even wide spray fan!!!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
I like Rustoleum black epoxy appliance paint for small parts.
This, it's awesome. also sold by Ace, and I think Krylon. Comes in black, white and stainless, I hope they release other colors too.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #10
chap52

I like the VHT Engine paint available at Auto Zone and I believe Wal Mart. Durable and not messed up by gas and oil. It does have a "kinda" glossy finish if that is an issue.
I used it on my 52 F1 engine (red) and sprayed the entire frame with it (black).
It lasted 12 years with only minor touch ups. As an added tip instead of masking small bolt heads, etc. that you don't want painted use pieces of aluminum foil wrapped around them. Easier to both apply and remove. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
rotorwrench

NAPA only lists Krylon and Dupli-Color for spray paints on there web-site. Martin Senour is a part of Sherwin Williams so their paint stuff is likely still available but I don't know about rattle cans.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #12
john in illinois

Rustoleum 2X is a new paint that a friend told me about. It is paint plus primer and it dries to touch in 20 min hard in 1hour.

I used it on some model T wheels and it is great. Covers well and seems tough against scratches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B772E688-25A1-484F-B5A0-4B9378377A29.jpg (68.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I know from years back that NAPA's Martin Senour spray paint used to be the best spraying paint out on the market.......What is the favored shaky can spraying paint that you prefer????
The Seymor fan-spray tip rattle cans are some of the best I've used. You can get them on line.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
As I previously posted NAPA’s Martin Senour spray cans had hands down the best nozzles with a nice even wide spray fan!!!
Agreed. See my post.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #15
PeteVS

Some time not too long ago, Rustoleum "improved" their cans by making it so that you could spray with the can upside down. Krylon shortly followed suit. To get this feature, they installed a very fat straw that brings the paint up from the bottom of the can. Now, you can't just turn the can upside down and do a quick pffft to clear the nozzle. If you try that, you'll be putting a LOT of paint out even if you only used a very small amount. After loosing a couple of cans due to clogged nozzles thinking that maybe it would be OK to put them away "wet", I figured to sort of beat their marketing ploy. I took two small plastic juice bottles and filled one about 1/3 full with plain old paint thinner. Now, after using a small amount of paint, I quickly pop the nozzle off the top of the can and drop it in the bottle with the thinner, shake it up really well and then pour the thinner into the other bottle, trapping the nozzle in the process. I then just blow on the nozzle (or use compressed air if there's some in the tank) and put the nozzle loosely on the can. It's been working well for me. When I finish using a can and if the nozzle still works, I put it aside. When I start a new can, I use the old nozzle and save the new one in the event that I have a nozzle go bad mid way through the can.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
rockfla

SO....case in point!!!! I tried all different methods, distance, angles etc etc. and this was sanding between both coats of primer and color and just "CANNOT" get a good finish!!!! SO I guess I'll go the powder coat way!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32hoodholds1.jpg (42.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 32hoodholds2.jpg (39.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
SO....case in point!!!! I tried all different methods, distance, angles etc etc. and this was sanding between both coats of primer and color and just "CANNOT" get a good finish!!!! SO I guess I'll go the powder coat way!!!
Don't give up. I'll take some picts of some parts I just did. They came out great.

I've found if you can either heat them with a heat lamp or place them and the spray can out in the sun, helps the paint go on a lot nicer.

Plus, shake the can literally until your arm starts to hurt. 1-2 minutes is not enough time IMHO.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Don't give up. I'll take some picts of some parts I just did. They came out great.

I've found if you can either heat them with a heat lamp or place them and the spray can out in the sun, helps the paint go on a lot nicer.

Plus, shake the can literally until your arm starts to hurt. 1-2 minutes is not enough time IMHO.
Thanks, I'll try that......I wonder IF here in No FLa the humidity is also working against me??? I will have to wait till this coming weekend, b the time I get home from work the sun has worked its way down enough not to help!!!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that......I wonder IF here in No FLa the humidity is also working against me??? I will have to wait till this coming weekend, b the time I get home from work the sun has worked its way down enough not to help!!!
Could. I've done it a few times in NJ when it was really humid and didn't have the orange peel like you are showing.

I also made an indoor spray booth for small parts.

I got an appliance box and cut it open. I screwed a wooden box frame into the side of the open top and attached some slats to that.

This allowed me to hang parts on some fishing line with large hooks. It also gave me a sturdy frame to place a 20" box fan to top of. I taped cheap furnace filters on to the incoming side of the fan to pull the air out of the box.

After I sprayed the parts, I would turn on the heat lamp. Inside the box, it would get really toasty so that helped cure the paint.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #20
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Could. I've done it a few times in NJ when it was really humid and didn't have the orange peel like you are showing.

I also made an indoor spray booth for small parts.

I got an appliance box and cut it open. I screwed a wooden box frame into the side of the open top and attached some slats to that.

This allowed me to hang parts on some fishing line with large hooks. It also gave me a sturdy frame to place a 20" box fan to top of. I taped cheap furnace filters on to the incoming side of the fan to pull the air out of the box.

After I sprayed the parts, I would turn on the heat lamp. Inside the box, it would get really toasty so that helped cure the paint.
Hey Tim
Just a heads up, putting out in the hot Florida sun for an hour early in the morning..... worked pretty good, I let sit in the sun between coats too!!! It's at least something I can work with and wet sand and re paint and wet sand and buff!! Thanks for the tip!!!!